No Oldies Radio in the Upstate

perrykat

Was surprised to see that nobody's mentioned the lack of an Oldies radio station in the upstate since 1063 "went away." Anybody think there's any chance of one of the other stations changing to Oldies? I miss not having anything to listen to in my car (except for a smaller Oldies station at 92.9 from Abbeville)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was surprised to see that nobody's mentioned the lack of an Oldies radio station in the upstate since 1063 "went away." Anybody think there's any chance of one of the other stations changing to Oldies? I miss not having anything to listen to in my car (except for a smaller Oldies station at 92.9 from Abbeville)

I kinda doubt it. Oldies, as a format, is waining. Broadcasters aren't seeing the merits in programming a format that is losing listeners across the board. GSP isn't alone in this. Oldies is disappearing all over the nation.

Get satellite radio in your car. That's my suggestion.

When we first moved up here from Orlando, there was a really cool pair of 80's stations. I'm not sure that having two of them was a necessity, but it sure was nice to have one of them. Both have since switched over to a contemporary Christian format of some sort.

As Ness said in another thread, "Terrestrial radio will never be the answer."

If I remember correctly, both 103.3 and 103.9 were alternative rock stations nearly a decade ago. They changed to "Oldies 103" then to "Star 103" 1980s rock in 2000. Entercom then created the contemporary Christian/country combination format "The Walk." "The Walk" changed frequencies to 106.3 which I have heard was recently sold. 103.3 is now an urban gospel format and 103.9 is an hispanic music format.

I'm pleased to hear some real 1980s rock on Asheville's Star 104.3. I wish its Greenville reception was stronger.

Haha, I didn't know that Oldies 103 had stopped broadcasting oldies! Shows you how much I pay attention to that ;) I would think that another Oldies station will start up soon enough. A market our size can't do without one for long.

I'm more of a 96.7 fan myself.

Archived