SouthPark, not really

appatone

Southern Living put a nice travel article in about Charlotte this month. It was all about visiting Charlotte's SouthPark area. Apparently, to the people at Southern Living, Dilworth, Myers Park, Plaza-Midwood and other south eastern center city neighborhoods are all part of SouthPark. Someone should have sent UP a memo. The only stop on their tour which is actually in SouthPark is Phillips Place. Other tour stops on the "SouthPark Tour" were Bonterra, Kaffe Frappe, Lupie's Cafe, Queens Road, Queens University, Cantina 1511 (on East. Blvd.), Nova's Bakery (on Central), and the Mint Museum of Art. Although it is wonderful that Southern Living occasionally does travel articles featuring Charlotte it seems a bit insulting to wipe away the unique identities of very old and individual street car neighborhoods and to simply bulk classify them in with an auto-dominated neighborhood that has only been around since the 70's or so and was built up around and named after a suburban-styled mall. Am I being too sensitive or is it disrespectful to each of these neighborhood

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yeah. Southpark, including the name, did not exist prior to 1971. It's odd though, they have done good articles on Dilworth & Myers Park in years gone by. Maybe they have some new writers now who didn't do their homework.

On the other hand, there is a home here in my neighborhood they did a story on a few years ago and they referred it as Lake Norman, not Huntersville. Maybe that is just their way.

You just have to forgive them I guess. They are a magazine HQ'ed out of Birmingham and do not have the writers that are from CLT. Most are from AL, MS, and GA. The magazine is a BIG seller not only in the SE, but Nationally. but they have been known to be "off" so to speak with certain aspects of what they are writing about. My family are Southern Living Finatics and most still live in B'ham. As a matter of fact I recieved a call about this very article from none other than my mother. She was really excited about the write up and thought it was quite impressive. However, I agree with your assesment and it could easily be misleading for someone who wanted to visit the area based solely on the article and its very generous mention of Charlotte.

A2

but charlotte is in the south carolina area, even though it isn't in SC, right? and cornelius is in the lake area, even though it is not in the lake.

I think 'area' just means vicinity.

I agree with steven, people reading Southern Living might be familiar with southpark mall, and that is the starting point to introduce them to the unique and interesting sites in nearby neighborhoods.

Archived