Best Urban Planning Master's Programs

Planning is such a multidisciplinary field that almost any background is helpful and looks good on your application. I applied while still in college, working on a B.A. in American history. My GPA and test scores were pretty good, but not terribly impressive. Strangely the man in the SPPD admissions office who I spoke with seemed to care more about those test/GPA stats than anyone I spoke with at other schools.

My advice, don't stress out about scores, etc. Just have a strong application. Have GOOD scores, a GOOD GPA. I think a 1200 GRE score with excellent references and statement go much farther than a 1500 GRE with a less interesting statement. Explain the relevance of your work experience in your personal statement. Like I said, I was a History major. That doesn't seem relevant, but in one of my History seminars we wrote a plan to develop a small series of national historic sites in the Southeastern U.S. , so I discussed the value of that project in my statement.

Application time suuuuucks, but I believe that if you are capable of demonstrating that you are reasonably bright, well-rounded, and have a desire and passion to enter the field, you'll have no problem getting into most of the schools you want to go to.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since I am sorta-kinda a middle-of-the-roader myself. I am a former Civil Engineering major with a Politicial Science minor, but now I am basically a Geography major with a Politicial Science minor. However, I've yet to officially declare I am that on my transcript. I am still 4 full semesters away from graduating undergrad, but I am current doing a planning internship at Planning Commission. My advice to you Nowesone, is to stay the course of current and just try to graduate in something. Afterwards, apply for graduate school in either MPA or GIS (like you mentioned is offered at schools nearby). As Lammius said, potential employers will hire you if you graduated in a related fields to Planning or GIS. I have a friend now that graduated in Political Science & History (undergrad) and MPA (Masters'), and they hired her was still a planner.

• 2 weeks later...

That Planetizen guide is a decent start, but its based on a voluntary internet survey of current planning students and alumni. So, keep that in mind while you are reading over that list. A lot of the smaller, but well respected programs are not represented on this list because of the volume of the larger programs.

The American Planning Association has a list of accredited schools from the Planning Accreditation Board, so you will want to make sure that you check there when you are applying. Link to PAB the PAB has a list of all acredited planning schools and it gives contact info/websites for all of them as well.

My advice when looking at a planning school is to very strongly consider what type of education you want to get. Schools tend to focus on certain methods of education. For example, the older planning schools like North Carolina, Southern Cal, Santa Barbara, Columbia, Rutgers, Illinois (Champagne-Urbana), etc. tend to be more policy oriented, and deal with the more technical and legal aspects of planning. Nothing wrong with that at all... But many of the newer schools, particularly those that are in land grant colleges, tend to include more design and practical application of planning. GA Tech, Florida State, Clemson, VA Tech, Auburn, etc. are ones that I am more familiar with that fit into this other category. I must qualify that this is not a hard and fast rule or anything, just my observation based on my experience. The old schools are very well respected and are listed among the top for a reason.

You should also make sure that there is a variety of planning focus areas like economic development, environmental, GIS, transportation, etc. which should reflect a diverse staff and the ability to customize your educational experience to what you want to get out of it. Any good program should have this.

Also, as other people said, your background is not that important. Planning is such a diverse field that any background can provide a unique insight into a situation. I am continually impressed by diversity of undergraduate degrees of people in my program. Everything from anthropology to psychology... though there is a noticable focus in related areas like architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, geography, planning (undergrad) etc.

I would also suggest going to school in the region in which you want to work when you graduate, as those schools and the experience and activities you participate in will likely make you more familiar with that region's trends and politics. Doing this will ultimately make it easier to get a job after school.

Hey New Guy,

I applied to the MRED program last month, and am eager to find out if I got in as well.. I think they will let us know in March. I am hoping that with scores/gpa slightly above last year's average, i have a standing chance. I dont have much work experience though,( only 2.5 years) but most of the 2.5 years i have was spent in development of commercial property...

Are you applying full time or part time?

• 1 month later...
Hey New Guy,

I applied to the MRED program last month, and am eager to find out if I got in as well.. I think they will let us know in March. I am hoping that with scores/gpa slightly above last year's average, i have a standing chance. I dont have much work experience though,( only 2.5 years) but most of the 2.5 years i have was spent in development of commercial property...

Are you applying full time or part time?

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who have been admitted to graduate programs in urban planning, what would you recommend applicants do to increase their chances of getting in (besides studying for the GRE)?

Do you think graduate programs value community involvement (participating in community meetings, volunteering, etc.)? Classes and seminars on planning-related issues?

To use myself as an example, my bachelor's is in English, my work experience is in marketing and publications. Besides a strong personal statement, how can I prove that I'm a good candidate?

I received my undergrad degree in Urban Planning from SUNY Albany...and am currently applying to the Master's Program at University at Buffalo (UB). Albany has a really good Grad program...UB's is a little different but very rigorous from what I understand.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know much about Cornell's MPS/RE program? Are there specific professional requirements (i.e. must work in real estate specific job for X years before applying)?

Just checking. I applied to USC's MRED Program but was told I didn't have sufficient RE experience as my background is more on the Process Improvement side for a bank's lending division.

Any feedback / help is appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question for all of those who have already completed their master's program or have already gotten into one. How important is undergrad GPA to most masters programs on average? My GPA is a very unimpressive 2.7. I've taken one urban planning course (i'm a Political Science major), i've done an internship with a local city planning department, and I have a passion for the field. I'm hoping that is enough to over-shadow the GPA issue.

Anybody have any insight on that? Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a question for all of those who have already completed their master's program or have already gotten into one. How important is undergrad GPA to most masters programs on average? My GPA is a very unimpressive 2.7. I've taken one urban planning course (i'm a Political Science major), i've done an internship with a local city planning department, and I have a passion for the field. I'm hoping that is enough to over-shadow the GPA issue.

Anybody have any insight on that? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
Take the GRE and do well on that. If that doesn't work, apply to a program as a special student and take a few classes in the program. If you do well enough, chances are you will get into that planning program. While I was at FSU, I knew several people that took this route.

• 2 months later...

I am applying for the Master of Urban Planning in 2008 Fall.

I am admitted as a graduate student to the Univ. of Cincinnati, Cleveland State Univ. and Michigan.

Right now it is really difficult for me to decide which university is better.

Could anyone tell me which university is better at economic planning and community planning? I really don't like design.

Which one should I go so that I will easily find a job?

:rolleyes: Thanks a looooot~!

• 2 months later...

I assume by now that you made a decision, but just in case...

I'm currently graduating from the MCP at Univ of Cincinnati. The School might be in DAAP, but it has NO design. None. The undergrad students tend to study it, but there is nothing for grad students. The whole damn department is basically economic development and - to a lesser extent- physical planning. In fact, the Phd they offer is only in Economic Development. Within physical planning the whole focus is GIS analysis, and a basic understanding of land use. But otherwise... its all Economics - no matter what you want to emphasize in, you will deal with it.

I know nothing about Cleve, but I hear Michigan is a heavy Policy focus. At UC it is all very skill oriented. They want you to come out and get a good job. Thats the whole thing. You can do other routes, but its difficult.

Good luck.

Mitch

I am applying for the Master of Urban Planning in 2008 Fall.

I am admitted as a graduate student to the Univ. of Cincinnati, Cleveland State Univ. and Michigan.

Right now it is really difficult for me to decide which university is better.

Could anyone tell me which university is better at economic planning and community planning? I really don't like design.

Which one should I go so that I will easily find a job?

:rolleyes: Thanks a looooot~!

• 4 weeks later...

ChattyPlanner, where did you go to school? I am looking for a program like yours, with a close relationship between architecture and planning.

Thanks!

Getting a handle on your specific interest in planning might help you to make your decision. I chose my graduate planning program because it was closely linked to the architecture program, which I had studied as an undergrad. I decided that after school, I wanted to get a job that incorporated planning and design. Check to see what overall school the planning program is in. Is it incorporated within a design school, a public affairs school, or is it by itself? That can help you see what focus a program may have.

After starting the planning program, I noticed that most of my planning professors had current or previous careers in research and analysis (which I hadn't expected). The experience of the professors also determines the curriculum that is taught. A larger program with more well-rounded faculty may have a broader curriculum. But, you might choose a school that has many faculty members focused on a specific area in planning that you would like to study.

Unless you're gunning for a specific job after school, I would pay less attention to the prestige of the school. Maybe US News doesn't have rankings because most employers probably don't care much about the specific school. Just make sure it's accredited. If you know you would like to remain in a specific region, choose a school in that region. If you know that you want to work in a specific planning focus, pick a school that has classes, faculty, and strong job-placement within that focus.

Job placement after graduation is pretty important. Check to see the school's record on placing recent grads into jobs. This was a really weak point of my program. I was basically on my own to find a job. Luckily, they gave me a good education and I was hired quickly. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

New 2009 Rankings from PLANETIZEN!

http://www.planetizen.com/education/planning

The top 10 graduate programs in planning (according to PLANETIZEN) are:

1. MIT

2. Cal-Berkeley

3. UNC-Chapel Hill

4. Rutgers-New Brunswick

5. Illinois-Urbana-Champaign

6. Cornell

7. Harvard

8. UCLA

9. USC

10. UPenn

The usual suspects are on the list, though I gotta point out my Rutgers has moved up from #8 to #4! :)

Four Ivy League schools are on the list. I wonder where Columbia ended up. It looks like it's in the top 25 somewhere.

^ Thank you. I prepared for an architecture career from childhood, and ultimately got out of it after 3 years of school because it was just slightly "off", I really wanted to design the whole city, not a single building, structure, etc.. So I guess that means I am interested in policy and shaping development from a public perspective, probably more so than working for a particular firm and representing only their concerns. I do like to get my hands dirty and be creative, though, so hopefully I won't be wishing I was on the other side of the table occasionally if I wind up in a city planning office. Any advice for a middle of the roader?

Archived