Power Lines

Relient J

What parts of Tallahassee do you think really suffer from powerlines ruining an otherwise attractive location? At the moment I can't think of much. Maybe on Monroe South of the capitol building? I can't remember to tell you the truth. Tallahassee is probably helped in this regard by the number of trees throughout the city.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry but i have to call this post stupid.

I don't think it is all that stupid. Power lines can really make an area look bad if they stand out or look messy. I know in Palm Beach county they redid most of thier powerlines years ago making them much neater and more hurricane resistant. There is also the option of putting powerlines underground (this was discussed in the Tallahassee Democrat last year after the storms). However, though they are safer from hurricane damage, they are harder to repair if damaged.

Something like this is a lot neater looking than something like this.

Anywhere along Tennessee Street. It's gawd-awful ugly and decrepid as it is, but the powerlines make it stand out.

South Florida has a lot of places where power lines are real present, in large part because compared to Tallahassee, there are little trees. Of course, a lot have been buried, but still a lot are visible.

Tennessee Street needs a huge makeover. First, the power lines are clutered along the road. They don't even stand straight up, as they are crooked. Plus they are covered with staples and nails from the zillion posters that have been put on them. Second, the landscaping is awful. Overgrown grass in the medians. Businesses that don't even have a strip of grass between the building and the street. Look at the Firehouse Subs area. AWFUL!!! Last, the bums that walk up and down the streets.

Tennessee Street needs a huge makeover. First, the power lines are clutered along the road. They don't even stand straight up, as they are crooked. Plus they are covered with staples and nails from the zillion posters that have been put on them. Second, the landscaping is awful. Overgrown grass in the medians. Businesses that don't even have a strip of grass between the building and the street. Look at the Firehouse Subs area. AWFUL!!! Last, the bums that walk up and down the streets.

I agree with your statement. I think many of the things you cited is the reason Tennessee Street, in my opinion, is Tallahassee's most unattractive road. The bars literally have no setbacks from the road, the power lines are hung in a cumbersome tangle it seems, the landscaping doesn't exist, the grass isn't well maintained to my standards (if only I pushed the buttons around here... ) to make things worse there are very few mast arms west of the Monroe intersection on Tennessee and any other road for that matter.

I think installing mast arm lights at major west side intersection would grealy reduce the unattractiveness of the lines everywhere. The next step is to do as someone suggested earilier and either bury the lines or get new poles.

i think the college/ west DT areas are the worst in town. I like cleaning them up by organizing the whole network... i mean, how could our mess of unorganized lines be effecient? We need some wires from our new researchers to reline the whole city.

AMEN brotha! Its amazing the change in beauty when you cross over into the east and north sides of town. I think the difference is day and night at times... although not a train tracks affect, simply different.

Yes... we need to get serious about our infrastructure on the west side of town if we're to do what we set out to do in building a tech sector.

Archived