CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Fieldhouse at West End

gs3

Nice shots, gsupstate! I was talking to one of the construction guys yesterday and he said they've changed the plans a few times on him, but he hopes to have the next two floors of this new building framed in by the middle of next month. Following the progress on this should be pretty cool.

Are they planning to open the condos and retail at the same time as the ballpark?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get into that with him, but it sounds as if they're working to get the office/retail portion done first. This makes sense since the Greenville Drive's offices will be in the first building, from what I understand.

Obviously team merchandise will be available in the ballpark. Wonder if they'll have a year round team store in this building with offices?

Obviously team merchandise will be available in the ballpark. Wonder if they'll have a year round team store in this building with offices?

Hmmm...excellent question. I dunno...that may be. I had thought that the team store was going to be located in the old West End Firehouse along with the Ticket Sales offices though.

Hmmm...excellent question. I dunno...that may be. I had thought that the team store was going to be located in the old West End Firehouse along with the Ticket Sales offices though.

That was my understanding too, although it would not be ready on opening day. The West End Coffee place has to build a new building (across the street).

Nice shots, gsupstate! I was talking to one of the construction guys yesterday and he said they've changed the plans a few times on him, but he hopes to have the next two floors of this new building framed in by the middle of next month. Following the progress on this should be pretty cool.

He actually said "middle of next week," but I thought I misunderstood him due to the construction equipment and beeping going on around us, so I hedged my bets and changed this to "middle of next month" when I reported it here. In retrospect, I now realize that I didn't misunderstand him. :shok:

Yeah, when I turned the corner this morning onto Pendleton, I was shocked. Didn't know the Fieldhouse would show up so well. I was all over my car trying to find my camera! :D

I would have been in shock too! They've done quite a bit of framing in a very short period of time.

It will be interesting to see if the vacant lots and one story buildings between the Field House and the Augusta/Main intersection are leveled and replaced with 3-4 story buildings, or if they will rehab the existing 1-2 story buildings and fill-in with new one and two story buildings.

I know some of you have said that you would rather not see any highrises built in the West End, but I think a few could be built in a uniquely tasteful design to actually enhance the district. Someday, it would be nice to have another mid-highrise hotel in a historical part of downtown. I could see the West End being a nice location for such a tower (way down the road). :)

I think midrises in the West End (like 8-10 stories or less) would be okay, provided that they were in a specially-designed area. I wouldn't want any along Main Street, but other areas (especially those areas that are either undeveloped or old/rundown buildings) would be great.

Ultimately, however, I would like to see most of the "skyline" focus remain on downtown and the CBD.

This is a larger development with a greater impact on main street then I expected. In fact I believe the building that is featured in the photos so far is not the Fieldhouse condo building at all. If you take a look at their web site the Fieldhouse appears to start at left side of the building that is under construct now and continue towards downtown. So when the project is finish it is going to be twice as long as it is now.

Coming down Main Street from the CBD into the West End, at about Augusta Street or maybe before, this building has a huge presence down the street. It's a sight that will definitely transform the area and set a precedent for the future.

Agreed. I don't think any of us here at UP had the vision of how much looming impact this development would make when we first looked at the renderings. The positioning of the development, along with the nearby lowrise buildings, gives this development major presence! So nice to see West End continue to expand!

Archived