Beacon Hill at Eastgate

GRDadof3

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a short blurb from the Business Journal from Sept. 2002 during the application process for expanding the Renaissance Zone program:

"A proposal by Metropolitan Hospital to replace the hospital on Boston Avenue SE with 210 condos after the hospital builds its new campus in Wyoming"

That's all it says. A plan for re-using the site was required for them to receive Renaissance Zone status (#10):

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=563

• 1 year later...

Planning Commission agenda - Thursday Nov 9th

Michigan Christian Homes plans to construct a 150 unit independent living/50 assisted living unit structure on the current Metro Hospital site. The entire hospital will be demolished. It will also have 150 indoor (basement level) parking spaces (nice touch).

post-2672-1162998551_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1162998590_thumb.jpg

Based on the site plan, it looks like they plan to almost double the complex in the future. It's great that this site will not remain vacant for long.

Planning Commission agenda - Thursday Nov 9th

Michigan Christian Homes plans to construct a 150 unit independent living/50 assisted living unit structure on the current Metro Hospital site. The entire hospital will be demolished. It will also have 150 indoor (basement level) parking spaces (nice touch).

Based on the site plan, it looks like they plan to almost double the complex in the future. It's great that this site will not remain vacant for long.

• 1 year later...

Long time no news on this, but I was curious about the state of Metro Hospital...

http://beaconhillgr.org/index.php

Found this bit of info on the site that I thought was interesting:

What is the timeframe for the project?

Pre-marketing for the project has already begun. According to Metro Health, the hospital is scheduled to move in September of 2007, and demolition of the existing building will begin shortly thereafter. Construction of Beacon Hill at Eastgate will take approximately 18 months. The campus is scheduled to open for residents in September of 2009.

For the first month or so after the hospital closed things didn't change a whole lot from the outside. In fact, they left almost all of the lights on 24/7 through early November, which I thought was ironic for a hospital that claims to be all about being green. However, it has now been completely dark for over a month, and the fire department held some training exercises there a couple of weeks ago. There is now a big chain link fence surrounding the property, and although I did not see any significant demolition as of this past weekend, there were a few windows that had been busted out (perhaps as part of the training exercise) and there was equipment behind the building with Pitsch logos on it, so it seems that demolition is very near.

• 2 weeks later...

Demolition started sometime last week at the northwest corner of the building and is progressing toward the southwest corner. Most of what appeared to have been an addition in that area of the building has been demolished. Maybe I'll try to get some pictures over there tomorrow if anyone is interested. (It's about time I set up a flickr account and start making some contributions anyway.....)

Demolition started sometime last week at the northwest corner of the building and is progressing toward the southwest corner. Most of what appeared to have been an addition in that area of the building has been demolished. Maybe I'll try to get some pictures over there tomorrow if anyone is interested. (It's about time I set up a flickr account and start making some contributions anyway.....)

It's funny to see this topic up top as I just got home after riding the #5 bus past the abandoned hospital campus. I saw the words "Fire Training-->" spray painted above a door and assumed the building was coming down soon.

There seems to be more and more activity as of late, shouldn't take long to have some major demolition done.

It's funny to see this topic up top as I just got home after riding the #5 bus past the abandoned hospital campus. I saw the words "Fire Training-->" spray painted above a door and assumed the building was coming down soon.

There seems to be more and more activity as of late, shouldn't take long to have some major demolition done.

I was in my staff meeting this morning and someone had mentioned that they were taking all the windows out, and were planing to Implode the building. I dont know if this is true, and I have not had a chance to verify it at all, but has anyone else heard anything like this?

• 4 months later...

This site has been a giant dirt field (with about 4-5 lonely looking trees) for awhile now. When I was by there about 2 1/2 weeks ago it didn't look like any activity was taking place.

So I looked into it a little bit and it looks like ownership of the land was transferred to Briar Hill at Eastgate earlier this month. It doesn't give a specific construction start date, but I don't see why they would be waiting too long.

Construction will take approximately 18 months, and Beacon Hill at Eastgate is expected to open in the spring of 2010. Pre-sales of the 114 apartment homes have gone well with close to 60 percent already reserved.

"I am very pleased with Beacon Hill's progress to date," said Jeffery T. Huegli, president of Beacon Hill at Eastgate. "By completing the formal transfer of the Metropolitan Health Hospital site from The Granger Group to Beacon Hill at Eastgate, we are another step closer to fulfilling the dream that will become Beacon Hill at Eastgate."

Archived