Front Page! Jags talk move over city decisions

bobliocatt

Well we officially have a war on our hands. It looks like the Jags and the city are own their way to court.

"That's a fair statement,'' Prescott said after the city notified the Jaguars on Tuesday that the team will not be able to run its electronic signage at the Florida-Georgia game Saturday.

"Based on their actions today, yes [the Jaguars will be forced to move],'' Prescott said. "Based on the actions I've seen over the last week, yes. Obviously, if they're taking revenues away, it'll happen sooner rather than later.''

Prescott also said that if the City Council, as expected, passes an amendment in two weeks that the Gator Bowl and the city will share signage revenue at non-Jaguar events designated by the city, the Jaguars will be forced to go to court.

"They'll leave us with no other choice, but I'll leave that to the attorneys,'' Prescott said.

Prescott also said the Jaguars don't want to move but might be left with no other choice.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._20133920.shtml

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do the Jags like to negotiate in the media so much? It never works and it is seen as dirty pool.

The way this whole thing is going down is ridiculous. Why did the city have to hire a guy to come in to do the negotiations. Why would the city hire a guy who has a client who is willing to pay $1B for an NFL team to move it to LA. This guy has an interest in having an NFL team move from a current city to a new one, and we are letting him handle the negotiations with our disgruntled NFL team? Certainly no conflict of interest there...

It is my understanding that the Jaguars bought the signs in question. How can the city lay claim to that revenue from those specific signs. If I was renting a place of business and I installed a coke machine, would my landlord have a claim to the revenue generated by the vending operation?

Any thoughts?

120 North, the Jags have three options to get what they want, and taking their case to the media is the most acceptable. The other two options are taking the city to court, or moving.

Reading this stuff in the media is harsh, but hopefully it will get the fans mobilized to do something - write, email their city councilmen, or Peyton himself. On the Jaguars' website message board they are talking about signing a petition. Anyone who is interested should go there - www.jaguars.com

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll take a shot at answering your last question. First, while the Jags did pay for the signs in question, the city owns the stadium, so they believe they have the final say. The city thinks they've found some loophole that cuts the Jaguars out of the non-Jaguar events held at the stadium.

This really isn't a question of Weaver asking for money from the city. I think the Jaguars just want the revenue from a source they've paid for.

The behavior of the City is simply outrageous. They are clearly in breach of contract in this situation. The Jags have to go to the media to present their case to the court of public opinion. The other options are sort of the nuclear options: suing or moving. Another option is waiting out the tenure of this moronic Napoleon, Peyton. But, he may yet be reelected (although he will not if he runs of the Jags). I fully support the Jaguars in this dispute. In a related subject, did y'all know that the Jags are in the 2d or 3rd smallest market and their rent is in the Top 10 among NFL teams. Does this make you think they need some relief?? The bottom line is if they cannot make a profit, they will move. And Peyton would have killed the goose that laid the golden egg (NFL, Super Bowl, ACC Championship, etc.).

By the way, if any of you want to chime in on a poll re this, go to here: http://wokv.com/

According to a forumer on the T-U site.

This one is on the city:

The Jaguars' lease includes the rights to Alltel Stadium's electronic signage for all events. The City wants the Jaguars to surrender the rights to four non-Jaguars events: Florida-Georgia, ACC title game, Gator Bowl and Monster Truck Show. The Jaguars have said they will surrender the signage rights to those games in exchange for rent-credit compensation, and the Jaguars asked the City to assign a signage value to those events. The City came back to the Jaguars with a $9.6 million figure, which means the City values the signage for each of those events to be $100,000 per year for the 24 years remaining on the lease. The Jaguars accepted that figure in a phone call between Wayne Weaver and Mayor Peyton on Sept. 9. Peyton said the City would fax the Jaguars a proposal that would include the $9.6 million figure on the following day, the day before the Jaguars' season opener. When the Jaguars got the proposal, it also included several other amendments the Jaguars had already rejected, including stadium naming rights guarantees that would've committed the Jaguars to more than $48 million in payments to the City over the course of the lease, should the Jaguars be unable to find a naming rights sponsor. Weaver, of course, declined to accept the proposal, a reaction the City had to expect. That's where we are.

merlin: I read the lease and it clearly states that the Jags have the rights to the revenue from the ribbon signs for 365 days of the year. So, this would cover any event in Alltel Stadium, including the FL-GA, ACC Championship, etc. The City is clearly wrong here and needs to admit it, pay up, and move forward. Peyton is such a businessman :rofl: - he should be able to figure this out.

Article from CBS 47

The article doesn't say much, but it does cay that as part of the proposed 9.6 million, the Jags would provide,

"A complete release by the Jags that they have electronic signage 365 days a year at ALLTEL Stadium"

Now if they are saying this, then isn't the city admitting that the Jags have 365 day signage rights?

City hires outside lawyer.

+Lawyer has client in L.A. that wants Jags for 1 billion.

= City trying to sell the Jags to L.A.

The 13th largest city in the United States should have to hire an outside lawyer for a basic advertising contract. It's incredibly clear the Jags are not at fault and Jacksonville is pretty cash strapped.

I haven't seen a slap in the face like this in a long time. Weaver worked hard to get a team here instead of a bigger market, has defended the team and city for over a decade, fought to get a SB here, and has repreatedly said he wants to keep the Jags here despite better profits elsewhere.

I have a plan, lets blast jet noise outside city hall.

I heard on 930AM that there's going to be a protest for Jags fan at City Hall sometime tomorrow. It also seems like the city promised the signage revenue to the Gator Bowl, forgetting that they had already negotiated to give the Jags control of this in their lease agreement. I don't knoe what the city is trying to pull, but they don't have a leg to stand up in court. Hopefully it won't get that far and Peyton will do what's right, which is honoring the contract.

I have a source that tells me that the four mayors from Baldwin, Jax Beach, Neptune, and Atlantic may get together to voice their displeasure about the city's actions with Mayor Peyton. I think that it will help to get Jacksonville's head on straight. I am very disappointed that the city is not honoring the Jaguars contract when they have done so much for Jacksonville.

I agree, that from the evidence we have, it seems like the Jaguars are right and the City is wrong.

HOWEVER, I must disagree with the way the Jaguars are handling this situation. Weaver should fire whoever keeps talking to the press and threatening to move the team. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT NECESSARY. The Jags should negotiate hard, but threatening to move the team crosses the line.

Of course, going to court is an unpleasant option. That's why the Jags and they City are still in the negotiation phase. Less than 2% of legal disputes ever go to court. However, if negotiations do fail, the Jags and City could have gone to court and fought over the money. Even if they had gone to court, no one ever had to threaten moving the team. It's totally unnecessary and much more drastic than simply taking it to court.

Especially if the Jags have such a strong case (which it seems they do) it's all the more insane for them to be threating the City. If their case is so good: negotiate, then litigate. Instead, the Jags have chosen to be BULLIES, and are initiating a public smear campaign designed to intimidate and shame the city.

Also, I'm really frightened by some of y'alls arguments!!! Who cares how much cultural/moral/promotional benefit the Jags give?? Either the Jags are right or they are wrong. Period. And in this case the Jags are right, so arguments should focus on that. It sounds like many of you are suggesting the Jags would be justified in extorting the city for $10 million dollars, even if they were wrong. So just because the Jags supposedly "put us on the map" we need to throw money at them when they threaten us? Hell no. The Jags deserve the money they are contractually owed. Nothing more.

From what it seems, as far as signage goes, there's nothing to negoitate. If its in the Jag's existing lease that they have control over the situation, then the city is definately in the wrong trying to wrap other issues into this particular situation.

As far as them threatening to leave....its business. Corporate companies like Fidelity do it all the time. Ameristeel Corporation recently did this in an effort to get incentives to update their aging steel mill just outside of Baldwin. From the Jag's standpoint, why would they want to stay in a small struggling market longterm, when the host city continues to try to weasel its way out of terms it originally agreed too? If its this much trouble over a $9.6 million, it looks like its going to be a rocky future. Everything has a cause and effect. Its up to Mayor Peyton and the Council to find out if they're bluffing or not.

^ The only problem is that the Jags are a fan-based business. Sports history is rife with teams that have made a habit of threating their cities (right or wrong) and suffered fan backlash.

Especially since the Jags seem so clearly in the right on this issue, it would be a crying shame if they alienate fans or sponsors because of bullying during negotiations. Even though they seem to have the moral high ground, there will still be fans who take the city's side and become angry at the team.

Not to defend the city's actions, but I think I'll have to agree with Mike Bianchi, writing in the Orlando Sentinel today about the Jag's shameful loss yesterday:

"The Jaguars claim the city is not giving them the support they deserve. Well, maybe they aren't giving the city the team they deserve."

Archived