Discuss Election Result. How will it affect Development in the city

monsoon

WARNING: Politicians to watch for for transit planning in Charlotte.

There is a blurb today in the paper where Lynn Wheeler has come out apparently against light rail building in Charlotte. She says the decision to build this LRT was "made behind closed doors" and she cautioned against building anymore rail lines. Remember this when it comes time to vote as she sounds like a no go.

Also, voting in Craig Madams would be a huge mistake for the city in terms of transit planning. For those of you who are transit supporters a vote for this guy would not be good. It's interesting as when the last election occured, he was supportive of the LRT and even went as far as suggesting that CLT build the trains right here in the city to spur jobs. Now he is making the S. LRT a racial issue. It only goes to show that he will say anything to get votes.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lynn wheeler has found her platform for forging back into politics. good to see real principles at work.

also nice to see that people are "against" things that are now being built already.

i guess the "closed doors" are the ones where the technocrats get out their calculators and figure out the computer models, etc., to prove to the federal government that it is worthwhile.

anyway, at least the eastside councilmembers will be pro-transit...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/12888349.htm

yeah, i can't believe that craig madans is the best the democrats can do. i am not a fan of mcrory but there is no way i could vote for madans seeing his transit platform. i can't even take lynn wheeler serious and i hope that i never have to again. the best way she could serve charlotte is to not run and sign up for meals on wheels. to tell you the truth charlotte needs some fresh voices in politics. dubone, you ever considered running?

I can not vote for anti-tranist candidates. The LRT is not a good deal today, but down the road in 5 to 10 years, it will be one of the best investment Charlotte has made.

The cost is high, but development along side of the South line may be 2 or 3 times the investment for the S LRT, which the city hopes.

Hope they can get it down to Fort Mill and Rock Hill someday. Pineville will just have to watch it go by, but it want stop, because it may disrupt

their busy downtown.

When deciding upon whom to vote for, it would be helpful to understand the politics behind our system.

It is the local transit commission, MTC, that decides where transit spending is to occur and is the organization that controls the transit tax. It's voting members are comprised of the mayors of the 7 towns in Mecklenburg plus a County representative. (Charlotte, Davidson, Huntersville, Cornelus, Mint Hill, Pineville, Matthews, Meck County) There are other members of the MTC but they do not have a vote on the issues; Concord, Gastonia, Monroe, Mooresville, Rock Hill, NCDOT and the SCDOT. They can become voting members by funding the system and the first may be Mooresville if the North commuter rail line is extended into Iredell county. Note that it is Mooresville that is a member and not Iredell as council members in Iredell are opposed to transit funding and would rather have their tax dollars go to build more roads.

CATS is responsible for implemention of the MTC's decisions whereas the MTC acts as a board of directors for CATS. From a pratical standpoint, the city of Charlotte is responsible for running CATS and it is operated as a department of the city whose CEO is the Charlotte Mayor. Its not clear to me what effect the Charlotte City council has on this as I don't know if they can direct the Mayor to do anything. Likewise an anti-transit Mayor is just one vote on the MTC.

This arrangement was created in 1998 when the local citizens voted in the transit tax. It has worked fairly well in achieving regional cooperation in transit planning. It has to be commending for getting a full funding letter for the S. LRT in a fairly short amount of time considering how long it takes to get federal approval these days. And the S. LRT is the only new light rail line being constructed in the south at this time. The real test will come when it is time to decide what will be built next.

I think it is very important to understand how the candidates that you can can vote for, stand on transit.

As a followup to the structure that I mentioned above where does the MTC get it's recommendations?

That comes from the Citizens Transit Advisory Group. It is made up of members appointed by Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners, the Charlotte City Council, each of the six Towns, and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education. Membership on this group is limited to non-elected members and membership is for 2 years. It is this group that a great deal of the hard work to determine station locations, alignments, etc. etc. They don't make the decisions but rather pass on their recommendations to be voted on by the MTC.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to go vote on Tuesday Nov 8th. There are several anti-transit candidates running in the Mecklenburg elections that could have a big effect on what happens here in the future. This includes anti-transit candidates running for Mayor of Charlotte and Mayor of Huntersville. Please go vote and please go educate yourself before you do.

If voting on Tuesday is not your cup of tea, Early Voting is open now. Details on Early Voting Locations and hours can be found at this link.

Don't forget to go vote on Tuesday Nov 8th. There are several anti-transit candidates running in the Mecklenburg elections that could have a big effect on what happens here in the future. This includes anti-transit candidates running for Mayor of Charlotte and Mayor of Huntersville. Please go vote and please go educate yourself before you do.

If voting on Tuesday is not your cup of tea, Early Voting is open now. Details on Early Voting Locations and hours can be found at this link.

Is there a published compilation of the views of different candidates regarding transportation and non-sprawl development?

I wish i could vote in Meck... but i'm regestered here in Gboro and i've got class that day anyway.

not that i care about local politics in greensboro or anything... but you should definitely vote. you can go to any public library for the week or two before election day and vote.

in north carolina, it is no longer just election that you can vote.

for example, i'm going to vote today after work.

no excuses.

you cantnot vote! ;)

Is there a published compilation of the views of different candidates regarding transportation and non-sprawl development?

well, for mayor there is only one option if you are pro-transportation: Patty McC

i'm not sure where your politics are, but Mumford, Lassiter, and Burgess have all been solidly for projects that support the inner city. Tabor is usually for projects that support the inner city, but also has an emphasis on cost efficiency. Wheeler was once pro-downtown... but she is now anti-downtown in an attempt to be the opposite of her old self, since she lost the last election.

here is the observer's voter guide, click here:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/politics/

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...4/voters_guide/

If anyone here is reading this from Huntersville, its important to vote for Kim Phillips as Mayor. She is pro-transit, a big supporter of the commuter rail line, and has helped to keep Huntersville from becoming sprawlsville.

The other two candidates are against smart planning and one of the candidates has specifically has said the rail project is a mistake. That is an amazingly bad position to take given the high cost of gas these days and really bad traffic. Its cheap to file for election. Its quite another to be qualified to be mayor of a city that is growing as fast as Huntersville.

Indeed, it is critical that the suburbs of Charlotte have government officials that believe in smart growth. Especially in the cities in which transit programs are almost underway.

Is Phillips a popular mayor?

Danny Phillips can't even formulate a sentence.

http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles...cal/local01.txt

Indeed, it is critical that the suburbs of Charlotte have government officials that believe in smart growth. Especially in the cities in which transit programs are almost underway.

Is Phillips a popular mayor?

Danny Phillips can't even formulate a sentence.

http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles...cal/local01.txt

Kim Phillips has been mayor of Huntersville for at least 3 elections. And maybe on the city council before that.

Danny Phillips (no relation) has never been in office before and operates a fruit stand at the edge of town. I believe he is a land owner in the area that is against the restrictive zoning that exists in Huntersville.

I've been actively involved in local politics for several years, and here is my list of candidates for the City Council At-Large election that I view to be the MOST pro-urban/vertical growth:

* Anthony Foxx

* Pat Mumford

* John Tabor

* John Lassiter

Just my 2-cents.

It's a strange year as certain Democrats (Erdman, Madans) are campaigning on a decidedly anti-transit, anti-urban platform, thinking it will woo the anti-arena Republicans. However, since the 2001 arena referendum, *NO* anti-arena candidate has won a citywide election.

I've noticed there was a story in today's paper about Lynn Wheeler who has taken on an anti-downtown, anti-transit platform. A stark contrast to her past position as she voted for the arena and South LRT. Now she says there has been enough spending downtown and that the wealth needs to spread to other parts of the city (I agree with that). But she also says the remaining transit lines should be canceled. (I disagree with that)

I wonder why she made such a change?

I've also notice a huge number "Bonds = Higher Taxes, Vote NO" signs show up in the past few days.

I wonder why she made such a change?

Simple. Wheeler thinks that by taking these stances, she will coast back to a City Council seat. Pundits blame her 2003 defeat on her support of the arena, but a look at the actual numbers from that election tells a different story.

The important thing to bear in mind is that while the anti-transit, anti-arena Republicans are a VERY vocal group, they are a small minority. However, they like to talk about the 57,000 "No" voters from 2001. The problem is that since then, EVERY candidate who has run on an anti-arena platform has lost. Mike Castano lost 3 times. Paul Eich lost twice.

Craig Madans, David Erdman, and Wheeler are all banking on that vocal crowd showing up to support candidates who criticize the transit plan & arena.

I, for one, don't think it will work.

Archived