Greenville Drive Baseball

Question from my kid: Where are the best seats for foul balls? The roofline will not be returning balls to the fans. The overhang and the screen behind homeplate will restrict most balls from getting into the hands of the fans. So I'm thinking the rightfield or leftfield seats beyond the dugouts, near the field. Or the picnic area or grassy berm. Any expert thoughts on this pressing question?

As the first pitch and first swings are yet to be taken, time will tell, really; however, I would suspect that the grassy berm down the left field line and the pic nic terrace/party deck down the right field line would be your best chances for foul balls, yes.

It will soon be time for a significant development including a public parking garage in the West End.

Personally, I hope they don't. There is ample parking nearby. Building more parking lots in our parking-lot-laden city makes it more difficult down the road to keep things built to a pedestrian scale.

Question from my kid: Where are the best seats for foul balls?

Grassy berm, no doubt. Most hitters are right-handed, and as such, hit more foul balls to the left side of the field. The fact that seats are effectively being replaced by a grassy berm will only increase the odds of getting a ball, as the number people in the berm will be less than the number of seats that would fit in the same space.

The Greenville Municipal Stadium site is up for sale:

http://www.greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../603310339/1070

With the broadside in place at West End Field, Municipal Stadium on Mauldin Road is for sale, though city officials won't say how much they want or who is interested.

Four parties -- both local and out-of-town -- are in discussions to purchase the old baseball stadium and all or part of 40 acres surrounding it, said City Manager Jim Bourey.

I suppose the city needs the revenue, especially after the eminent domain late unpleasantness, I was sort of hoping that the Muni stadium site could be a 40 acre sized park with playing fields, walking trails, etc. Oh well...

I suppose the city needs the revenue, especially after the eminent domain late unpleasantness, I was sort of hoping that the Muni stadium site could be a 40 acre sized park with playing fields, walking trails, etc. Oh well...

Technically, couldn't it still be after being purchased? Any kind of recreation seems to do very well in Greenville, I would imagine that it could be a successful private venture.

Municipal Stadium they said could range from recreation, to residential, to commercial. I'd like to see residential! I think it'd be a hot area. THink about it. Mauldin is right there and has everything to offer as far dining, everyday needs... BUT, you'd be in the city of Greenville!!! Easy interstate access... I'm hoping for residential!

My wife is standing in line for tickets right now (she's a great wife). Doesn't look like we will be there on Thursday, but I will definitely be there on Friday! Can't wait! :D

I'll be there on Friday too. Tried for Thursday, but it looks sold out. Oh well, one night after opening....maybe any kinks will be worked out. :D

I purchased a weekend package with some friends, I'll be there on the opener... waited in line for an hour and got three tickets for Saturday. Tickets can be purchase on the team's website for games other than the opener.

That's awesome! Do yall think the entire first weekend will sell out? A lot of people are excited about this new ball park! With the opening game, the West End will TAKE OFF! I'm excited.

NYT and I were both in that line this morning, too... It was awesome! :-) NYT said he got there at 8:00am. I arrived just after 9:00am and ended up 20-30 people behind him in line. WYFF, Fox Carolina, and the Greenville News were there covering it. :yahoo:

I managed to get one reserved seat (Section 113, Row K, Seat 8). They don't have any blocks of seats left. But...I've got a couple of extra Standing Room Only tickets if anybody wants them...I think NYT picked some extra SRO's up, too, but I won't speak for him. He may have other uses planned for those by now :lol:

There are still plenty of tickets left for the rest of opening weekend, so go on out and pick yours up (ONLINE or a the Team Store).

Yeah, I got there at 8:00. I was 3rd in line. The folks there in line were great. It made the two hour wait go by in no-time. I have 4 extra SRO tickets. I'm going to offer them up to some friends of mine. If they don't bite, I'll offer them up to my "UP family". Hey, for $5, its gets you in the door. :thumbsup: I'll know by Sunday.

Later in the morning, I walked down to the ballpark. It's like a beehive there right now. I saw Richard Davis filming for the Flip This House episode about moving the Shoeless Joe Jackson home. When he was done, I asked him about the move. He said it will probably happen on Sunday.

I'll pop some photos up in a little while.

What's funny is that when I got in the door, I was told that there were no Reserved or Box seats remaining.

So, I asked what happened to the ONLINE ticket ordering. The Greenville Drive Web Site had said all week that tickets would be available ONLINE or at the Drive Store...then this morning, the wording on the Web Site had changed to say that tickets could be purchased at the Drive Store (no mention of ONLINE). That's why I drove into town today. :shok:

Inside the Drive Store, I was told that the tickets were being sold ONLINE as well...this is why there were no more reserved or box seats remaining by the time I got up there to purchase mine. So I purchased the two SRO's there at the store.

Afterwards, I drove down to the ballpark, snapped off a few photos (posted them over in the CONSTURCTION THREAD, and yes, it's a virtual beehive down there right now), came home to work...and then thought to myself, "...I'll check out the ONLINE Ticket Sales." I did so and managed to get one reserved seat ticket ONLINE. Go figure. They're still working out the kinks, I suppose. :rofl:

Great photos, btw! I see my face peeking out from behind someone in that 2nd one, just over the right shoulder of the guy in the orange shirt. :rofl:

Edited by RestedTraveler

Great video gsupstate :thumbsup:

-I got tickets for Friday instead of Thursday, because they were sold out of the Thursday ones by the time I got there and they are going to have fireworks and a magnet schedule giveaway on Friday. I would much rather go Friday instead of Thursday anyway. :)

Edited by g-man430

NYT and I were both in that line this morning, too... It was awesome! :-) NYT said he got there at 8:00am. I arrived just after 9:00am and ended up 20-30 people behind him in line. WYFF, Fox Carolina, and the Greenville News were there covering it. :yahoo:

I managed to get one reserved seat (Section 113, Row K, Seat 8). They don't have any blocks of seats left. But...I've got a couple of extra Standing Room Only tickets if anybody wants them...I think NYT picked some extra SRO's up, too, but I won't speak for him. He may have other uses planned for those by now :lol:

There are still plenty of tickets left for the rest of opening weekend, so go on out and pick yours up (ONLINE or a the Team Store).

RT, if you have any standing room only tickets left, I was wondering if I could have 2 of them? I sure would appreciate it. I could sit in the grass berm if I got them. :)

-Friday tickets are now going fast. All box seats for that night are gone. Good thing I got two box seats for Friday. They are in Section 106, Row E, Seat 9 and 10. :yahoo:

**IF ANYBODY HAS 2 STANDING ROOM ONLY SEATS FOR OPENING NIGHT AVAILABLE. PLEASE PM ME, THANK YOU!!!!**

Edited by g-man430

RT, if you have any standing room only tickets left, I was wondering if I could have 2 of them? I sure would appreciate it. I could sit in the grass berm if I got them. :)

-Friday tickets are now going fast. All box seats for that night are gone. Good thing I got two box seats for Friday. They are in Section 106, Row E, Seat 9 and 10. :yahoo:

**IF ANYBODY HAS 2 STANDING ROOM ONLY SEATS FOR OPENING NIGHT AVAILABLE. PLEASE PM ME, THANK YOU!!!!**

My wife doesn't seem very interested in going and facing a crowd of 6000 people two nights in a row, so they're yours if you still want them. I'll PM you.

NYT and I were both in that line this morning, too... It was awesome! :-) NYT said he got there at 8:00am. I arrived just after 9:00am and ended up 20-30 people behind him in line. WYFF, Fox Carolina, and the Greenville News were there covering it.

I managed to get one reserved seat (Section 113, Row K, Seat 8). They don't have any blocks of seats left. But...I've got a couple of extra Standing Room Only tickets if anybody wants them...I think NYT picked some extra SRO's up, too, but I won't speak for him. He may have other uses planned for those by now

I joined the fun at approximately 10 minutes before 10:00am. The line was already backed up past Pulze Fitness Club, much to my surprise. Anyway, I was still able to obtain 3 standing-room-only tickets for opening-night. :yahoo: These will be on the grass berm in left field, in the "hot zone" for foul balls. Imagine the chaos when people start scratching and clawing to get ahold of an opening-night game ball. :tough::D

I've got two standing-room-only tickets for opening night now. Here they are: http://www.flickr.com/photos/restedtraveler/120989810/ if everything goes according to plan, thanks to RT. :)

-I can't wait until opening day; it's going to be a blast. :yahoo:

-Does anybody know how many standing-room-only tickets they sold in all for opening night? I'm guessing 1,000.

Edited by g-man430