Greenville Drive Baseball

did anybody else purchase tickets ONLINE and notice that your confirmation/recepit says that the game will be at West End Field in "Greensville, South Carolina?"

Oy vey!

I tried to order several Businessman's Special package tickets on-line, but it said I had to fax in my order, so I bagged it. Besides I wanted Friday or Saturday tickets, instead of the Opening Day tickets that come with that (which, I assume, are not available).

Unfortunately I couldn't get out to the weekend parties and this week was a real struggle to make time for picking out seats. So, because I didn't have time to hand-pick seats, it looks like I blew it as far as getting opening weekend seats...

Check out this great video of shoeless joe jackson's house moving plan: http://www.wyff4.com/video/8397442/index.html
WARNING: A rant follows:

I saw it this morning and I found it totally confusing. They show one older guy and say he didn't care or know it was Shoeless Joe's home. Below his name it says he's the owner. They show another guy from Cooperstown, NY and indicate that he's the owner. It mentions him calling a guy who's a Charleston native but we never learn his name or exactly why he's important.

They say that they're going to cut the home in two and move it over near West End Field on two trucks. Does anyone want to take the bet against the house falling apart in this process?

The anchorwoman points out that this will be on "national television." Yeah, it will be on a cable station (Discovery Channel). Big deal. Anything on cable is national. About 428 people, give or take, will actually see it. But if having a house move broadcast on the Discovery Channel is affirming or a sign that Greenville's time has come, we're worse off than anyone imagined. I, for one, can't get too excited knowing that someone in a Barcalounger in Pocatello, ID will see a truck driving a home through downtown Greenville. That just doesn't say "cool" or "NOW we're on the map!" to me.

The story after this was about a skate park that will open in a month. They say "the Upstate will get a new skate park.." and the graphic says "Greenville County" and the announcer says "off of Roper Mountain Rd." Thanks for getting us there! But there's no rush, because the place won't open for a month...so then why the story in the first place?

I found the whole newscast this morning to be mind-numbing with one exception. The weatherwoman -- or is she an intern -- spent a good deal of time on Daylight Saving (must have been a slow weather day too) and pointed out -- to my sheer delight -- that it's Daylight Saving Time (with no plural or possessive form for "Saving." I get this wrong all the time. So my time spent watching the news this morning wasn't all for naught.

Still, I have to ask...were they doing mushrooms over at WYFF when they threw these stories together?

Odd...I grew up not far from where Shoeless Joe's house is. My uncle was friend with a relative of Jackson's growing up. I'm glad the house is getting some recognition and that it is being moved from a depressed part of town to somewhere will it be seen and appreciated.

The moving of the Cherrydale Mansion was done quite well, over a similar distance, about 6 years ago for Furman. I expect the Jackson house, a smaller facility, will be done with the same care.

And nothing against the folks from WYFF, but often I wish that the Greenville station was like WLOS out of Asheville with thier local emphasis. But that's just me.

Thought you Greenvillians would be interested in this
Absolutely! Thanks for thinking to post it here!

This is one of those things that reminds me how the press isn't always conspiratorial or showing a political bias when it gets facts screwed up. Just one example (of many factual gaffes): the story credits Jim Bourrey with brokering the Drive-BoSox affiliation -- when the truth is that he was a key player who put together the package that got the team to move from Columbia to Greenville. The affiliation change occurred after the team was chosen by Greenville but before Minor League Baseball approved of the move, and Bourrey had nothing to do with it.

Another example is how the story (at least at first) suggests that the stadium (er, ballpark) is driving the revitalization of downtown. A bit of an overstatement. And how the Drive is the new BoSox affiliate...when this is the second year of a two-year deal, albeit the name changed and the playing venue changed during the offseason.

If this were a story about politics or what's going on in Iraq, it would be cited as proof of a media bias (take your pick as to which way it swings) but the fact is the reporter pulled together a ton of information and gave his audience a pretty good general idea of what's happening. All in all, once I get past the factual slip-ups, this is a nice write-up and gives a pretty good sense of the excitement about the West End and the CBD that baseball is generating.

Edited by Fiddlestix

Thanks for posting JDC!! Love this! :D

Really loved the following comments:

"Greenville is a textbook example of urban renewal."

"But after a 25-year redevelopment process, Greenville is thriving, and exudes the energy and exuberance of a young urban workforce."

In case any of you are the sports reporter for your office newsletter or church bulletin. And, for that matter, who at UP is the designated cyberreporter for the Drive?

GREENVILLE DRIVE MEDIA ADVISORY: PLAYERS ARRIVAL AND MEDIA DAY

Greenville, SC - The Greenville Drive

Very cool article on boston.com about what is going on in our "little city" of 60,000. ;) Pretty impressive that a city that small has a minor league baseball team, upscale hotels like Westin and Hyatt, a premier performing arts center, a 17,000 seat arena, etc. Sarcasm aside, the article was a great read and I am glad that our city (despite the misleading population quoted) is getting some good press.

As Americans, we'd all be better off to walk a little more and be out of our cars.
Agreed. I think the amount of walking to a baseball game needs to be placed in context. A stroll past shops and restaurants to go to a ball game where you sit on your butt for a couple hours isn't a big deal. The end-to-end walk downtown seems long...but not by Manhattan standards, especially since the intersections are so much easier here.

Then again, there's a place where I take my kids when they're sick -- St. Francis Medical Center (adjacent to the Women's and Family Hospital near Patewood). When I go there, all the covered spaces and spaces closest to the entrance are reserved for doctor's. And lately they actually have a rent-a-cop walking around bossing people and presumably calling the tow truck. Imagine going to Wal*Mart and finding out the all the closest spaces are for the employees?! Or Haywood Mall?! Suddenly that 200 foot walk is unreasonable...

But for a baseball game where, by definition, you've got time to kill and you're going to be sitting and it really doesn't matter if you do happen to miss the first 15 minutes -- the walk (or free trolley ride) is a piece-a-cake!

The context does make a difference. Carrying a small child running a high-grade fever through freezing rain a few extra feet can feel like a great injustice; strolling leisurely to a ballgame and talking with your kid on the way in is an enhanced experience.

And since it sounds like the handicap accommodations are all that you'd expect they'd be, I have little patience with the naysayers and "dark cloud" types who think the end days are near with the West End parking "situation."

Agreed. I think the amount of walking to a baseball game needs to be placed in context. A stroll past shops and restaurants to go to a ball game where you sit on your butt for a couple hours isn't a big deal. The end-to-end walk downtown seems long...but not by Manhattan standards, especially since the intersections are so much easier here.

Then again, there's a place where I take my kids when they're sick -- St. Francis Medical Center (adjacent to the Women's and Family Hospital near Patewood). When I go there, all the covered spaces and spaces closest to the entrance are reserved for doctor's. And lately they actually have a rent-a-cop walking around bossing people and presumably calling the tow truck. Imagine going to Wal*Mart and finding out the all the closest spaces are for the employees?! Or Haywood Mall?! Suddenly that 200 foot walk is unreasonable...

But for a baseball game where, by definition, you've got time to kill and you're going to be sitting and it really doesn't matter if you do happen to miss the first 15 minutes -- the walk (or free trolley ride) is a piece-a-cake!

The context does make a difference. Carrying a small child running a high-grade fever through freezing rain a few extra feet can feel like a great injustice; strolling leisurely to a ballgame and talking with your kid on the way in is an enhanced experience.

And since it sounds like the handicap accommodations are all that you'd expect they'd be, I have little patience with the naysayers and "dark cloud" types who think the end days are near with the West End parking "situation."

The other side of St. Francis Women's & Family is for patient parking. There are no doctor parking spaces there, just patients and visitors. The side you're talking about is the back entrance. There have to be spaces for doctors there, since there is no garage for employees like at Greenville Memorial.

The other side of St. Francis Women's & Family is for patient parking. There are no doctor parking spaces there, just patients and visitors. The side you're talking about is the back entrance. There have to be spaces for doctors there, since there is no garage for employees like at Greenville Memorial.
For over a decade I've always just gone to the "back entrance" -- except for a brief time when that was closed for paving. It's the entrance closest to the elevators and along the road, so it seems like the front to me. And besides, I like my Wal*Mart employee analogy, so I'm sticking with it and refuse to let you mollify me! X <--Here's where I would insert the emoticon with the tongue sticking out going "phhhlllllllt!"

Indignantly,

Fiddlestix. :blush:

All the hoopla over parking.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../604020323/1068

As Americans, we'd all be better off to walk a little more and be out of our cars. The route the city is going feels correct as it expands the pedestrian friendly area to West End that has already been achieved downtown.

I eagerly anticipate walking to the ballpark most often from North Main or Falls Park. This is a cinch with so much quality of life to enjoy along the way. :thumbsup: