Greenville Drive Baseball

WARNING: A rant follows:

I saw it this morning and I found it totally confusing. They show one older guy and say he didn't care or know it was Shoeless Joe's home. Below his name it says he's the owner. They show another guy from Cooperstown, NY and indicate that he's the owner. It mentions him calling a guy who's a Charleston native but we never learn his name or exactly why he's important.

This is the guy from the "Flip This House" series. Trademark Properties is the name. They did the house the house up on Paris Mountain with parts of the proceeds supposed to go to a Greenville group (Symphony or Arts I believe). He has donated his time and expertise to restore the house and one of his employees Ginger (dark haired girl) is a Greenville native. Went to Greenville HIgh I beleive

<you said>

They say that they're going to cut the home in two and move it over near West End Field on two trucks. Does anyone want to take the bet against the house falling apart in this process?

Yep an old farmhouse by my parents house was moved years ago though only up the street about two lots. Done in one peice I believe. Moves like this are done all the time.

<you said>

The anchorwoman points out that this will be on "national television." Yeah, it will be on a cable station (Discovery Channel). Big deal. Anything on cable is national. About 428 people, give or take, will actually see it. But if having a house move broadcast on the Discovery Channel is affirming or a sign that Greenville's time has come, we're worse off than anyone imagined. I, for one, can't get too excited knowing that someone in a Barcalounger in Pocatello, ID will see a truck driving a home through downtown Greenville. That just doesn't say "cool" or "NOW we're on the map!" to me.

------- <reply>

It's actually A&E. I watch it all the time "Flip This House" is on Sunday eves at 6pm although this Sunday it was on at 7. Don't know if t was due to the time change or if a permanent change. It's ch.43 or 44 here. Since they are "volunteering" the renovations that is why it is on this program. I think more poeple watch "cable" programs than they do local channels now. These home shows are very popular.

I sent an email to the writer of the article in the Boston Globe containing a link to the Greenville Forum, and he just replied today. Here is the reply:

Thanks for the feedback and the link, Michael. I was in Greenville for a weekend back in February -- before the sod was laid on West End Field -- and was charmed by the city. I will be visiting again in the future, as friends have moved to the area.

Selby

It's things like this that put Greenville "on the map" Word of mouth and such are the best advertising bar none.

I sent an email to the writer of the article in the Boston Globe containing a link to the Greenville Forum, and he just replied today. Here is the reply:

Thanks for the feedback and the link, Michael. I was in Greenville for a weekend back in February -- before the sod was laid on West End Field -- and was charmed by the city. I will be visiting again in the future, as friends have moved to the area.

Selby

It's things like this that put Greenville "on the map" Word of mouth and such are the best advertising bar none.

Did you tell him that Greenville's city limit population is deceptive? It probably doesn't matter to someone living in Boston anyway. I bet they think anything under 3 million is a "small town." :lol:

Selby

Great work jarvis! :thumbsup: Love this! "was charmed by the city". :D

Just to confirm how articles like this - and by extension a baseball team - make a difference well outside the area. Living in Metro Boston I've had a handful of people come up and say in reaction to the Boston Globe article, more or less, "Aren't you from there? Cool place!".

A word to those that will be in attendance on Thursday: I sat a couple of rows behind Theo Epstein, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations for the Boston Red Sox at the season opener for the Bombers last year. It's a pretty safe bet that he and others from the Red Sox front office will be in attendance on Thursday. :thumbsup:

If I may, I'd humbly suggest that anyone attending Thursday Night's opener bring their best autographable parafanalia and a Sharpie, just in case! :lol:

I don't know if Theo Epstein will be there. I'll find out who from the Boston organization might be showing up. Theo was there last year because, well, he was with the team AND he was with the World Championship trophy that they brought to Greenville.

This afternoon I called the offices about season tickets. They said the guys were busy and would call me back. I said I would drive over to Coffee and Main and do it in person if that worked. "Sure! That works too," was the reply. So, I'm running tight but I detour to downtown, find a parking space, go to the office, ask to buy season tickets and the girl goes back to talk to one of the guys and he tells her to get my name and phone number and he'll call me back on MONDAY! This was about 15 feet from me and in eyesight and (obviously) earshot.

WTF?!?!

She comes up front and tells me that they're too busy right now to sell season tickets until after the homestand.

WTF?!?!

At least my detour, for which I really didn't have time in the first place, was not for naught. Because that was too surreal and absurd to call it a wasted trip. It's like a scene from a western where the Sheriff, hoping to get a posse together to take on the Miller Gang comes up to the barber shop and the barber quickly flips the sign to show he's closed. Sheeesh.

<b>EDIT:</b> Okay, I spoke with someone higher up the food chain and that policy is over with. Season tickets are going back on sale tomorrow morning. I took some pictures today that I'll try and post. Haven't tried posting pictures yet. The boldface at the word EDIT (which may or may not work) is as fancy as I've gotten. Pictures are going to be an adventure.

Edited by Fiddlestix

I don't know if Theo Epstein will be there. I'll find out who from the Boston organization might be showing up. Theo was there last year because, well, he was with the team AND he was with the World Championship trophy that they brought to Greenville.

<b>EDIT:</b> Okay, I spoke with someone higher up the food chain and that policy is over with. Season tickets are going back on sale tomorrow morning. I took some pictures today that I'll try and post. Haven't tried posting pictures yet. The boldface at the word EDIT (which may or may not work) is as fancy as I've gotten. Pictures are going to be an adventure.

Opening night for the bombers was, I believe, on April 13th last year. The World Series Trophy didn't arrive in town until the 18th (if the date stamps on my photos can be trusted), and Theo was already gone by then. On opening night, he was actually sitting with a stop watch and a clip board, scouting players (on both the River Dogs (Yankees) and Bombers (Red Sox)), the consummate professional that he is. I'm glad he re-upped with the Red Sox. :thumbsup:

As for the adventure of photo posting, check this thread out. It may be helpful.

Edited by RestedTraveler

As for the adventure of photo posting, check this thread out. It may be helpful.
Thanks. I actually was surfing around trying to figure out the best place to request precisely this sort of post! I guess, by my replying, we didn't spare the others a post, but I am grateful that I don't have to worry about making my request in the "wrong" thread!

Thanks for the correction on Theo's visit. I recalled that they were together...but I was at the stadium early that day, not at game time and didn't see either Theo or the trophy last year. Not that I cared...Go Yankees!

(BTW, for those who wish the team kept the name "Bombers," isn't that a somewhat troubling name for a BoSox affiliate? That would be like a Yankees affiliate being called the Red Shoes. It's just not natural.)

Well the only reason I'm partial to the name "Bombers" is because it honors the Doolittle raiders who trained in both Columbia and Greenville before their 30 seconds over Tokyo in 1942. I just think it's sort of nice to remember the sacrifice those fellows made for us.
Point taken. I agree, in fact. I'm just pointing out the unfortunate situation that has that otherwise good name become peculiar when you apply it to a Red Sox team. My great aunt Myrtle helped break the Nazi code during WW2, and it would be nice to honor her, but naming my daughter after her isn't going to be how that happens. (BTW, I'm just making up the Aunt Myrtle thing because nobody in the Fiddlestix family tree has ever amounted to much.)

WYFF did a live feed from West End Field this morning and I must compliment Mark Allen for referring to it as a ballpark rather than a stadium. If only we could get Beth and Nigel to do the same.

Also, there is a huge New York Life sign on top of the Fieldhouse building, right above the Green Monster. They mentioned that NYL is the first tenant. If that's not a kick in the teeth for Boston fans. :rofl: Go NY!!!