Greenville Drive Baseball

I also see THIS -- bringing in an actor portraying Jackson to have an at-bat -- being far more offensive to the MLB and MiLB ban than naming the team the Joes.

This actor was as much representing the rich baseball history of the textile leagues and the West End of Greenville as he was Shoeless Joe Jackson. At least that's the spin that was put on it. -_-

Overall, I'd say the game was a great experience... I'm embarassed to admit I got chills from the Shoeless Joe event. Pretty cool.

I'm not embarassed to admit this one bit. I got the chills too. It was an awesome moment! :shades:

As for the lines, you're right...it wasn't so bad here aside from people trying to navigate their way through the concourse and the lines. I was simply suggesting that vendors in the aisles may help remedy this. The particular concession stand I visited was actually opened as an overflow and staffed by the group of kids from the team store over by the playground. I stopped there to buy a one-piece outfit for my 13-month-old after the game and it was the exact same crew. So, considering that, things weren't so bad.

The mayor told me the concessions were staffed by volunteers from churches and one group didn't show, thus the shortage of concession staff.

It was a great night for Greenville nonetheless.

Do they plan to add the roaming vendors in the future? That's a big part of the experience to me. "Peanuts, Peanuts" "Red Hots, Red Hots"

I was shocked by the 16-3 score! :shok: After watching the poor pitching and batting on opening night, it seemed unlikely they would achieve such a high number of runs. Just goes to show that every game holds its own surprises. :thumbsup: I heard that all of the concession windows were open last night. That is a great improvement.

Well, Greenville's got a winner! The entire experience at the ballpark last night was perfect. From the urban feel when you enter (we entered the gates by the Spinx Club), to the concessions, to the entertainment, the fireworks, and of course the game! I felt a little sad for the Catfish, I mean 16 to 3! Yikes. It was really a quality evening, you couldn't ask for anything better. I simply can't say enough about what the Drive management and the city of Greenville have given us all!!!! :D RT, you said months back it would be quality, you were right man! :thumbsup:

I do have one question, who/what is this purple Reggie thing? I know ole Reedy won't make his debut until the 20th. Is Reggie some kind of generic stand in? Anyway, he was funny. :D

Here are my snapshots, the quality is so, so......several Michelobs tend to impact your photography skills:

CIMG4689.jpg

CIMG4690.jpg

CIMG4691.jpg

CIMG4693.jpg

CIMG4695.jpg

CIMG4700.jpg

Here's ole purple Reggie. Who is he???

CIMG4703.jpg

Geoff Hart from WYFF:

CIMG4707.jpg

CIMG4713.jpg

CIMG4714.jpg

CIMG4717.jpg

CIMG4718.jpg

CIMG4724.jpg

CIMG4726.jpg

CIMG4727.jpg

I do have one question, who/what is this purple Reggie thing? I know ole Reedy won't make his debut until the 20th. Is Reggie some kind of generic stand in? Anyway, he was funny. :D

Reggy is a traveling mascot from the Raymond Entertainment Group: http://www.reggyfun.com/

Great photos, gsupstate! You caught me in this one (lower left corner, backwards G-Drive cap):

CIMG4713.jpg

Here are some photos that I took at last night's game:

Pre-Game Warmups:

124976537_66d9f60f9f.jpg

G-Drive Manager, Luis Alicea:

124981143_7231abf392.jpg

Our friend Nate Lipscomb stops by to speak with Joe Erwin:

124981144_911ee7a49a.jpg

Jeff Natale gets ready to swing at the first of his two Home Runs:

124976542_aa6cfa48aa.jpg

Reggy Fun at the expense of the Catfish First Base Coach, Chris Osmond:

124981146_c566582121.jpg

The Lights over the Right Field Pic Nic Terrace:

124981147_c61f3187c5.jpg

It was a Crystal Clear Night:

124986950_dcf33cbec0.jpg

Greenville Drive Manager Luis Alicea consults with Tony Granadillo while the bases were loaded:

124981148_d4a382a846.jpg

Kids await Foul Balls on the Grassy Berm:

124981150_56cfefb7dc.jpg

One footnote on getting to and from the games...GTA provides a FREE Baseball Shuttle. It seems that not many people are aware of it, because there weren't many riding last night.

We actually parked in the Richardson Street Garage (FREE) and rode the GTA Shuttle (FREE) to the G-Drive Game last night. It was awesome, but there weren't many taking advantage of the service. It seems to be one of those well-kept secrets, so spread the word! :thumbsup:

The GTA Baseball Shuttles:

Richardson Street Parking Garage Route Stops:

• North Laurens Street Parking Deck
  • Richardson Street Garage
  • River Street Parking Lot

Spring Street Parking Garaage Route Stops:

• Commons Garage / Brown Street Lot
  • South Spring Street Garage
  • Poinsett Plaza Garage
  • River Street Log

Gotta love the skyline behind the outfield wall.
During the day, the bonus view from the first base side is of Paris Mountain.

As for Reggy, he's listed as a promotion for this weekend (Fri-Sat) only. Sort of like a 1-man Zooperstarz! traveling around the minors doing his routines. Reedy Rip-It's debut is scheduled for April 20 (or whatever date I said in my post last night about that -- it's not like I've committed that one to memory along with April 6 and my wedding anniversary my birthday).

Edited by Fiddlestix

Great photos, gsupstate! You caught me in this one (lower left corner, backwards G-Drive cap):

CIMG4713.jpg

So two nights in a row. Are you headed out for tonights game?

I'd imagine a lot of us UPer's are catching each other in photos.....thank God none of them have yet to be incriminating photos. :D

SO, was last night not as full as the opening game?

According to the Drive website, last night (Friday) the attendance was 5,325, the ballpark holds 5,700, so basically it was close to being sold out. I believe opening night it was completely sold out. Don't go by my photos, as many were taken before and after the game (I got there more than hour early and wanted to get shots of the ballpark without as many people).

Interesting note here....go to Mississippi Braves website and check out there attendance, it's in the low 3,000's per night this season.....about 2,000 less than the Drive's attendance and not very good for only their second season.

Interesting note here....go to Mississippi Braves website and check out there attendance, it's in the low 3,000's per night this season.....about 2,000 less than the Drive's attendance and not very good for only their second season.

For some odd reason that I don't know enough variables to comment on, the single A SALLY league is about equal with the Southern League in attedance.

2005 Sally average attendance: 3,225

2005 Southern League attendance: 3,517

The AAA International League, with teams in Richmond, Charlotee and Nashville for example, averages 6,634, usually in 10,000+ seat stadiums.

Sadly the Braves organization doesn't really care what the attendance is because they didn't pay for the stadium nor is Steve DeSalvo given much of a promotional budget. I'm an Atlanta Braves fan, and the Braves business model is to own their own farm clubs and run their stadium operations. Unfortunately, the owners, Time-Warner, refuse to invest in their own infrastructure, as Greenville found out, because every medium-sized city in the South wants a Braves minor league organization.

For comparisons sake, while the Drive had about 5,325 in attendance last night, 30 miles up the road in Clemson, the Tigers played the Maryland Terapins and had 5,209 in paid attendance. It was a good night for Upstate baseball fans.

The Clemson athletic administration has recently announced that they intend to upgrade Doug Kingsmore Stadium to AAA standards, with at least 10,000 seats and luxury suites and a musueum.

Renaissance for Upstate baseball fans? I think so.