Greenville Drive Baseball

Just a quickie:

Was at the begining of today's 'businessman's special' at the ballpark. After about an inning and a half, the rain came. The first thing played on the jumbotron during the rain delay was "The More Cowbell Sketch" from Saturday Night Live. Very funny and pretty hip of the management.

There are two types of people in the world:

1. Those that 'get' the cowbell sketch.

2. Those that don't get the cowbell sketch.

It's that simple.

Respectfully disagree...

3 types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

(sorry for the digression folks, I'm just not able to pass up a chance to use that joke)

I just read that article and the comments. My gosh! It was a great article, but the comments were 1,000 times more childish than anything seen on UP. It honestly made the residents of Columbia look like fools and idiots. Unimpressed. Quite honestly, a shame.

I simply couldn't resist responding. :ph34r:

Is this you Greenville:

Regarding the "Power Broker" and "Parking" Comment: I always found the old Greenville Braves stadium on Mauldin Road to be very difficult to get to. It was out in the middle of NOWHERE (literally). The reason there was always such ample parking was that nobody ever went to the games there. The only time I had a problem parking there was on the Bombers Opening Night last season and I paid my $2 and was forced to park way out behind the outfield wall on the grass. Having attended nearly every game this season, I can assure you that the walk from that area was every bit as far (if not more) than the walk from the Greenville County Government Complex Parking Lot to the new West End Field. There's plenty of parking around West End Field, and most of it is FREE.

The Greenville Braves tried to hold the City of Greenville hostage, demanding that the city finance and build a new $20-$25 Million ballpark downtown. I'm quite happy that the City of Greenville's "Power Brokers" worked through the clouds of prospective Double AA and Single A Teams wanting to relocate to Greenville on Greenville's dime and found the relationship they did in RB3 and that the new Greenville Drive financed construction of their own ballpark...and a beautiful one it is, too. It's called "leadership," folks. I know it's not easily discernable to those down there in Columbia, so I forgive you for not recognizing it immediately.

If so, nicely stated.

Nice avatar, GvilleSC. For a second I got you confused with Greenville. :lol:

Thanks for the great reply, RT. That was completely accurate and necessary, despite doing little to nothing to change these crazy people's minds. They speak of things unseen and are completely unwilling to have their eyes opened to the truth. :thumbsup: But I guess there are people just the same in every city around the World.

So let me get this straight you go to a Columbia paper forum boost your hometown and childishly bash that city and it's inhabitants then come back and pat yourselves on the back about what you posted. Yet you claim people from Columbia are childish and refuse to accept others points of views? I do believe I have lost respect for this thread and this forum.

So let me get this straight you go to a Columbia paper forum boost your hometown and childishly bash that city and it's inhabitants then come back and pat yourselves on the back about what you posted. Yet you claim people from Columbia are childish and refuse to accept others points of views? I do believe I have lost respect for this thread and this forum.

Thanks for sharing! :lol:

Actually, in all seriousness, if you care to take the time to read those comments very closely, I'm sure you'll discern that they were likely made by somebody from here in Greenville bashing Greenville's own city government for losing the Braves and casting the old stadium aside. Why else would somebody care to comment on the old stadium, the parking, and the "power brokers" unless they were from here? I find no fault with myself for defending the same, thank you very much. The jab at the end was merely intended to elicit a response that would either confirm or negate my suspicion that the original comment was made by a Greenvillian. If you take offense to that, my apologies to you; however, I stand by my comment.

Has anyone noticed the new permanent sign along northbound I-85 just before the I-185 interchange? It says, "Baseball Stadium, Next Right." :huh:

I noticed that. Is there a sign on Mills/Church that tells you to turn left?

Sandy has a valid point. I, for one, am dissapointed that you guys would let your ego get so inflated. You forgot to mention that the Bombers offered more money to Greenville and offered to build the stadium there.

Did anybody else get an e-mail from the City of Greenville pointing your attention to this article?

What did it say?

--

I was in Gvegas a week or so ago, and I drove around the stadium. I am very impressed with the whole area. It looks good. It only has room for improvement once other stores and such start to fill in. The field house looks great coming in from Pendleton St.

You forgot to mention that the Bombers offered more money to Greenville and offered to build the stadium there.

Didn't the Bombers only offer $10 Million toward the cost of the proposed Columbia Ballpark? I think that the difference in cost had everything to do with the fact that the University of South Carolina was expected to chip in their share, too. With nobody to share the cost with in Greenville, they offered up $14 Million, which in the end turned out to be more like $15 Million.

What did it say?

It said:

"Mini Fenway" Draws Rave Reviews

The City of Greenville, the Greenville Drive and private developers received kudos for cooperative economic development in the creation of West End Field in this morning's edition of Columbia's The State newspaper. Read the article published in today's edition of The State.

[email protected]

Hah, it seems I misread what you said earlier. :rolleyes: Does the City have some sort of Listserv that you can sign up for?

Thats true about the Bombers. I stil think that the Bombers were generaly unhappy with Columbia and had planned to leave no matter what. The whole situation smells bad to me (like an old shoe, perhaps?). But I won't loose sleep over it. Greenville has a great stadium and some new entertainment for everyone :)

The fact that the Bombers wanted to leave Columbia for Greenville, and were willing to pay more money to do so, speaks volumes.

And for the Columbia people who seem so irate that Greenville residents read their paper: THE ARTICLE WAS ABOUT OUR CITY AND OUR BALLPARK! It is not as if we read "your paper" all the time, but when there is an article in it about our city and our baseball team, we naturally want to check it out. The same thing would happen if a Greenville paper had an article about Columbia (especially if it were about something they did right, as was the case in this West End Field article).

Sandy has a valid point. I, for one, am dissapointed that you guys would let your ego get so inflated. You forgot to mention that the Bombers offered more money to Greenville and offered to build the stadium there.

What did it say?

I'll tell you what disappoints me. Krazee started a thread to discuss civic apathy (I respect that), and very few of the post actually discuss how to boost civic pride in Columbia....instead it's a bunch of jabs at other cities (not just Greenville) and a bunch of excuses. HELLO....excuses are not Civic Pride!!!! Civic pride is being totally immersed in your city and caring about every detail down to the gum wrapper on the street that you pick up. Civic pride is being focused on your hometown and not comparing or caring what goes on in neighboring cities. I saw very little civic pride in that string of post and a few of the post are the epitome of apathy. :cry: Columbia, focus your energy on yourself and make your city great...."F" what Greenvillians, Charlestonians, Charlotteans, or Atlantans are doing. Get over this "we're the biggest city" stuff and focus on being the "best" city.

Hah, it seems I misread what you said earlier. :rolleyes: Does the City have some sort of Listserv that you can sign up for?

Yes. Here's the URL for anyone interested in signing up: http://www.greatergreenville.com/online/information.asp

Please forgive me for being proud enough of my own community to defend it against (what appears to have been) one of its own residents taking the opportunity to bash it due to some yet-to-heal wound caused by the departure of the Greenville Braves.

I can't blame you for being bitter about the Braves leaving for Mississippi. That was some BS if you ask me.

I'm not bitter about the Braves leaving, myself. Sure, it would have been nice had they worked together with the City of Greenville to reach a common goal; however, they were hell-bent on getting what they wanted (a new ballpark, scott free), and they got it...in Mississippi.

I'm quite proud of Greenville's Mayor and City Government for taking one on the chin and making the tough decision to not give into the Braves' demands. In retrospect, I think most would agree that it all worked out for the better.

Nobody is irate that you are reading the paper. Its the attitude that you collectively project.

I should have phrased my earlier post better. What I meant to say was that some Columbia residents who responded to that article in The State didn't feel that Greenville residents had a right to voice an opinion on an article in "their" paper. They made it sound like Greenville residents were trying to stir up trouble, when in reality most were reading the article because it dealt with the city of Greenville and a Greenville sports team.

And that simply reinforces the notion that many in Columbia don't like the fact that Greenville has a team and they don't. They will hopefully deal with it in time, and gradually become appreciative of the things Columbia does have going for it.

Edited by Greenville