Greenville Drive Baseball

People who dislike the name are propbubly more apt to write in about it. Im sure at some point after enough negatives have been written that a few supporters of the name will start writing in to defend it.

People who dislike the name are also more apt to criticize it without offering any better suggestions!! Nobody likes it, but nobody has any better names.

Maybe all the good ones are taken? Have you seen some of the other names in the SA League? Tourists? Riverdogs? Catfish? Shorebirds? Crawdads? Grasshoppers? Sand Gnats? That's a short list, but it's proof enough that they have officially run out of good team names. And also proof that this name could have been worse.

Personally, I don't like the name either. But then again, I think it's cheesy to name a team after a concept and not a physical thing. Because then someone has to create an even cheesier mascot for the cheesy concept name, and in the end it never makes sense or means anything to anyone other than the designers. Plus, it's gramatically illogical -- you can't go to the game and yell "Go Drive!", that doesn't even make sense. The closest sensible thing would be "Go Drivers!". Lame.

We should have kept the G-Braves. But that's another discussion...

People who dislike the name are also more apt to criticize it without offering any better suggestions!! Nobody likes it, but nobody has any better names.

Maybe all the good ones are taken? Have you seen some of the other names in the SA League? Tourists? Riverdogs? Catfish? Shorebirds? Crawdads? Grasshoppers? Sand Gnats? That's a short list, but it's proof enough that they have officially run out of good team names. And also proof that this name could have been worse.

Personally, I don't like the name either. But then again, I think it's cheesy to name a team after a concept and not a physical thing. Because then someone has to create an even cheesier mascot for the cheesy concept name, and in the end it never makes sense or means anything to anyone other than the designers. Plus, it's gramatically illogical -- you can't go to the game and yell "Go Drive!", that doesn't even make sense. The closest sensible thing would be "Go Drivers!". Lame.

We should have kept the G-Braves. But that's another discussion...

Welcome to UP shawnb.

I, and many others here on the boards liked the name Green Sox. Would have been way better than Drive, and it actually makes sense.

Like RT says, we'll all forget about it in time, and go root for the home team. I'm not going to go to fewer games because of the name.

Since the Reedy River runs through that part of the city maybe something river related (without copying the Riverdogs)... it just seems like it is going to be difficult to market the name Drive. Who wants to buy a cap or jersey with that name/logo on it?

I do like the name Green Sox -- it could be shortened to G-Sox.

First of all, I'd like to say, "Welcome to Urban Planet, shawnb!" We definitely look forward to your contributions and opinions going forward.

Secondly, we did have a fairly lengthy discussion (in the old Greenville Bombers thread) about the new name for the team and a multitude of suggestions were provided by us to the Greenville Bombers organization (at least to the folks that were in charge at that time). By and large, as a group, we felt that "Green Sox" suited the entire situation (being in Greenville, Single-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, and being in the West End, which has for some as much nostalgia or nostalgic potential as Fenway Park and the Red Sox, etc.).

We were told of a naming contest which, thanks to the transition in ownership, never materialized. Several of us provided suggestions to the Bombers front office staff. I submitted 20-30 suggestions myself: Greenville Falls, Greenville Rapids, Greenville Statesmen, Greenville Grizzlies, Greenville Green Sox, Greenville Gargoyles, etc. - just to name a few).

Ultimately, the decision was made by the new ownership of the team in conjunction with Erwin Penland Advertising. The domain name "greenvilledrive.com" was registered by the organization a couple of months ago, so the decision had been in the bag for some time, regardless of what suggestions we sent in.

Don't forget the "West Virginia Power." What was that all about?!?!? It's almost as bad as Drive. :wacko:

Edited by RestedTraveler

I agree that a downtown stadium was the right decision. It will do a lot for the city, especially in the West End.

I don't really follow baseball, but I have heard some people say that there is a big drop-off in talent from AA to A. Do you guys agree with that? I'm not trying to say that we have bad baseball in Greenville, but I think we can all agree that AA would've been better - especially for a city Greenville's size.

Regardless, I'm excited that baseball is back in Greenville, and even more excited about what it will hopefully mean in terms of redevelopment for the city.

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen there is definitely a drop off in the level of play for single A baseball. I used to go to a lot of G-Braves games years ago and compared to what I see here in Charleston with the Riverdogs there is no comparison. One of the problems with single-A is that players come and go and there is a lot of turnover. A team can do well in the first half of the season and then stink in the latter part. The main attraction here in Charleston is not the team, but the nice stadium and the social atmosphere. The same will hold true for the Drive no matter how bad or good they are they will do well because of the nice stadium.

I honestly think AA is the best level. These players have a legitimate shot at making it to the MAJORS so they are hungry to play hard. Its not like AAA where the players are going to likely remain in the minors for their entire careers. I was a little bummed out when I heard Greenville was getting the Bombers. I would have liked to have seen the Diamond Jaxx come to Greenville. However, the downtown stadium is great and that would not have not happened with the Tennessee team. Pluses and minuses to everything.

Actually, there is very little difference in raw talent between A and AA. The developmental aspects with regard to coaching and skills are a little better in AA. And, as wellington said, you get a lot of young players in AA (and A, really) that are working their way up to the majors whereas you get a lot of players in AAA that are career minor leagures. Also AA is used quite often for rehab assignments, so you occasionally get to see major leagures in AA cities.

It should be a good quality of product for any baseball fans to go see the Drive play this coming season. Rest assured, you won't be disappointed.

Greenville Drive Merchandise (Hats and T-Shirts) are now available from the Store at http://www.greenvilledrive.com/ if anyone is interested.

The T-Shirts actually look pretty good. Thanks for the link RT. I guess I've made peace with the name.....after seeing some of the names of teams in other cities, the Drive is refreshingly simple and direct.