Greenville Drive Baseball

Actually I like the name "Asheville Tourist". That is what the area is known for. What else would be more appropriate, the "Asheville Biltmores", "Asheville Mountaineers", "Asheville Howard Dean Voters", "Asheville Bohemeians"?

Before anyone gets their pants in a bunch, I love Asheville and wouldn't chance a thing about it.

As for the question of "is the team staying or just visiting", all teams are "just visiting" until another city offers them more money.

Is there anyone (other than the 2-3 people who picked the name) who likes the name? I mean, seriously, anyone?

I have not heard anyone speak up who has backed the name. Not One.

I myself have come to terms with it, and will learn to live with it, but would never have voted for it. :sick:

A little off topic, but speaking of bad names, I tried an experiment. I tried to find the Greenville Growl web site using only my browser address bar and no search engine. I don't think it can be done without knowing the way that the name Growl is misspelled. I tried www.greenvillegrowl.com/, www.growl.com, www.growlhockey.com. Try it in the eyes of someone who is not web savvy and see if you can find it so you can see the schedule, buy tickets and ATTEND the game.

Actually I like the name "Asheville Tourist". That is what the area is known for. What else would be more appropriate, the "Asheville Biltmores", "Asheville Mountaineers", "Asheville Howard Dean Voters", "Asheville Bohemeians"?

You forgot the Asheville "Subaru Driving Ski Racks" and the "VW Busses". :D

I too LOVE Asheville :wub: ....one of the great things about GV's location, being so close to Asheville.....I place Asheville up there with the Seattles, Austins, Burlingtons, Portlands and Boulders of the world.

I have not heard anyone speak up who has backed the name. Not One.

I myself have come to terms with it, and will learn to live with it, but would never have voted for it. :sick:

A little off topic, but speaking of bad names, I tried an experiment. I tried to find the Greenville Growl web site using only my browser address bar and no search engine. I don't think it can be done without knowing the way that the name Growl is misspelled. I tried www.greenvillegrowl.com/, www.growl.com, www.growlhockey.com. Try it in the eyes of someone who is not web savvy and see if you can find it so you can see the schedule, buy tickets and ATTEND the game.

http://www.grrrowl.com/ ;)

I always enjoy reading your posts, gsupstate, but including Asheville in the same breath as places like Seattle, Portland, and Austin is a stretch in my opinion. But perhaps that's because I am not very impressed with Asheville.

:)

Not in size or national prominence....but in attitude, there is a common thread running through them all. Portland, Maine, not OR. I tend to group cities by attitudes.....but thats another topic. :)

You & I know that, but what about someone who doesn't know how to "properly misspell" growl, and doesn't know what a search engine is for? We take the web for granted because we know how to find stuff quickly.

If it's just a passing thought, how long do you figure they will try to find it before they give up and skip it altogether?

I'm just saying that if they are worried about attendance, they should be looking at fundamental issues such as this.

I agree with you, NYT. "Growl" is a mediocre name at best, but to spell it with 3 r's is even more ridiculous. When you consider the issues you have raised, the name makes even less sense.

The sad thing is that these teams supposedly hire marketing "experts" to handle the development of team name, promotion, etc. I guess a marketing company's portfolio won't look "creative" enough if they choose a simple name like bears or lions. They have to choose stuff like "Grrrowl" and "Drive."

If it were only about building a portfolio and looking creative, that would be fine. But it's about appealing to fans, generating ticket sales, and marketing the team. It seems that someone is falling short in that area.

You & I know that, but what about someone who doesn't know how to "properly misspell" growl, and doesn't know what a search engine is for? We take the web for granted because we know how to find stuff quickly.

If it's just a passing thought, how long do you figure they will try to find it before they give up and skip it altogether?

I'm just saying that if they are worried about attendance, they should be looking at fundamental issues such as this.

The simple solution is to register the other domain names and set those ip addresses up to be a virtual ip address that forwards the user on to www.grrrowl.com . It wouldn't be that expensive, either. Does anybody know Ethan Wade or Ryan Stewart? If so, pass the suggestion along. NYT raises a valid point. It's not easy to check the schedule and buy tickets online when you can't find the web site. :shok:

They should also hook up with Publix or Bi-Lo on a deal where you can buy tickets at the customer service desk of these stores. "I'd like 4 tickets to tonight's Grrrowl Game, please!" They could at least sell vouchers that could be traded in for seats at game time.

Maybe the Grrowl could go together with the Greenville Drive and sell tickets a the Drive's ticket office and vice versa?

The possibilities are "virtually" endless. :D

Incidentally, I did try to type "www.growl.com" in Internet Explorer. Because that domain name doesn't resolve to anything, it resulted in the MS search page being called and and I got the following from MS Search:

We can't find "www.growl.com"

You can try again by typing the URL in the address bar above.

Or, search the Web:

Go to MSN Search to see complete results for "www.growl.com".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you intend to go to one of these similar Web addresses?

www.grrrowl.com

www.groww.com

www.groww.org

Edited by RestedTraveler

Interesting. Well, if the Grrrowl were to register domain names such as this and redirect you, that'd take care of it. :thumbsup:

Maybe the Grrrowl should replace their ads in the Greenville News with a simple little banner ad at the bottom of the front page of the Greenville News that shows simply the Game Date, Game Time, Opponent, and the web address: www.grrrowl.com ?

Heheheh. Maybe our discussion of the Grrrowl should be moved over the Grrrenville Grrrowl thread, too. :silly:

There is an Opinion Article in this morning's paper by Greenville Drive president and principal owner Craig Brown, defending the Greenville Drive name.

Thanks for the link to the article NYT!

I know the team is trying to wrap it's name in all this sentiment.....I get that.....I just don't like the name. What scares me more is the names that were considered! Did you guys see they considered "The Skeeters"????? The "Skeeters" brings up images of the fans showing up barefoot, toothless, wearing wife beaters and drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon!

I don't think they really had a handle on the naming process nor did they listen to the public.

Thanks, NYT!. That's a pretty well written argument, actually.

In particular, I think this sums it up:

What this team is called is important, and every fan in the Upstate has a legitimate stake in the name given to their ball club. But when all is said and done, the Greenville baseball experience is about much more than a name. It's about a beloved pastime that has been part of the fabric of this community for more than a century; it's about kids connecting with heroes of tomorrow and long ago; it's about sportsmanship and great athletes striving for excellence. And it's about an historic ballpark in downtown Greenville where people will be able to enjoy a terrific time with family and friends, at affordable prices.

OK. Go G-Drive!

Pretty smooth how the author distracted the reader from the team name by switching to sportsmanship, kids, and history. Sort of a cop-out if you ask me, but what other option did he have? Things like kids, history, and sportsmanship are important - probably more important than the team name - but that doesn't change the fact that THE NAME SUCKS, AND COULD'VE BEEN MUCH WORSE GIVEN THE CHOICES THEY CAME UP WITH.

I think we will all support and embrace the baseball team, not because of the name, but because it's our city's team. The ballpark is in a cool location, with an opportunity to really be a catalyst for development in that area of the city. Thankfully, we aren't so shallow that we will stay away just because of the team name. But with that said, we have a right not to like the name, especially since we feel that it hurts the team's marketability and appeal to fans who aren't going to be interested simply because the team is from Greenville. However:

"At least we aren't the Grits!" ;)

Edited by Greenville