Greenville Drive Baseball

I'm taking my daughter tonight. I'm curious to see if there will be any throwback jerseys worn for "turn back the clock night."

I noticed on the wall of the Port City Java next to the ballpark that the 1927 Greenville Spinners (champions of the South Atlantic League that year) wore uniforms similar in design to the green "Greenville" throw back uniform, even the green hat with a capital "G" is the same as the '27 SAL League champion Spinners.

I'm taking my daughter tonight. I'm curious to see if there will be any throwback jerseys worn for "turn back the clock night."

Sadly, there were no throwback jerseys. :( There were pink ladies, black & white video board highlights, and old television theme songs from years gone by. That's about it. Heck, I was hoping to at least find $1 tickets at the ticket window and $.25 hot dogs/cokes. :P

On the bright side, you can now purchase your own personalized (your name, your number) Greenville Driver jersey! :thumbsup:

The games this year have generally been full. It feels like the attendance is higher this year than last year, which is something. However, there are still a lot of empty "corporate" season ticket seats behind the plate and on the first base side, even for the full games. So the attendance is skewed a little, because they report tickets sold and not gate attendance.

The games this year have generally been full. It feels like the attendance is higher this year than last year, which is something. However, there are still a lot of empty "corporate" season ticket seats behind the plate and on the first base side, even for the full games. So the attendance is skewed a little, because they report tickets sold and not gate attendance.

That is true about the reporting, but we also have a larger turnstile this year than last year.

I've been to many games this year and they felt like they had good attendance, but it's always hard to gauge by looking. So many chairs stay empty because people are on the party deck, buying beer, standing around chatting with friends, with the kids at the playground, etc. I think one of the positives for this field is that you want to be "up and around" and socialize.

I've been to many games this year and they felt like they had good attendance, but it's always hard to gauge by looking. So many chairs stay empty because people are on the party deck, buying beer, standing around chatting with friends, with the kids at the playground, etc. I think one of the positives for this field is that you want to be "up and around" and socialize.

That's an excellent point. I spend probably 3+ innings each game out of my seat and sitting or standing on the hill next to the playground while my daughter plays inside.

An FYI... the first of the Drive-babies, Clay Buchholz, is pitching for the Red Sox tomorrow.

Wow! I had heard rumblings on the net (SoxSpace) that the Red Sox were considering using him to pitch a game in tomorrow's double header, but I didn't think they were serious ones. Only one year out of Single-A and starting a game in the show. Way to go, Clay! The same rumblings I heard is that he may land a spot in the rotation through the end of the season if he performs well in his start. :yahoo:

Not sure where to post this, but I know it will be welcome here for now...

ESPN has a very nice article online about the fight to clear Shoeless Joe Jackson's name and honor his legacy as a true baseball legend in Cooperstown. The museum in downtown Greenville is discussed as well and it is great exposure for our city in a historical light.

Read more. :)

An FYI... the first of the Drive-babies, Clay Buchholz, is pitching for the Red Sox tomorrow.

Clay got his first major league win in his first start, going 6 innings vs. the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim with 5 strikeouts (with a stingy Bruce Froemming strike zone, at that), 3 walks, and 3 earned runs. Great job for our former G-Drive pitcher!

And sure enough, he was immediately sent back down before the 2nd game started. :blink:

Not unusual, especially this time of year. He'll probably get called up again in September when rosters get expanded to 40 men. Teams often call up a guy to test him out, so he can get his first game out of the way, to spell a 4th or 5th pitcher a game, etc. Probably just about every MLB is doing the same thing this time of year, and Boston, a team virtually assured of making the playoffs can afford to tinker with the line up a bit.

Not unusual, especially this time of year. He'll probably get called up again in September when rosters get expanded to 40 men. Teams often call up a guy to test him out, so he can get his first game out of the way, to spell a 4th or 5th pitcher a game, etc. Probably just about every MLB is doing the same thing this time of year, and Boston, a team virtually assured of making the playoffs can afford to tinker with the line up a bit.

Yeah, I knew it had to be something like that. :)

^^ It's a shame that it's only open to Season Ticket holders and not everybody... I wonder how many untold others like me there are that go to as many games as possible but don't buy season tickets because they tend to travel a lot and don't know when they'll be in town.

I think you can knock one right up onto cundvale's deck, Galley! :thumbsup:

Galley and whitehourseview: I have just checked my personal e-mail and have found in it a request from the G-Drive: Could you please remove the URL to this survey as it is a survey that was intended solely for season ticket holders and was not intended for distribution beyond those ticket holders (much in the same way as the batting practice announcement, I presume).

• 2 weeks later...

And just pitched a no-no against the Orioles. Congrats Clay!

I literally got back to my hotel room last night and turned on the TV and switched over to ESPN (to catch some college football scores, ironically enough) just in time to see him pitch the last two pitches to the final batter. As soon as I saw the "extended coverage" tag at the top of the screen and saw that the score was 10-0 in the top of the 9th with two outs on the O's, I knew what was going on and my heart literally swelled with pride watching that final strike/strikeout. I started jumping up and down and my wife and kids looked at me like I was an idiot and I had to explain to my wife what had just happened.

And to think...just a year ago...

210647622_2d31752509.jpg

:yahoo: