Greenville Drive Baseball

Spectacular fireworks show for the final night game of the season. The place looked to be packed. I had swapped my ticket out for tomorrow morning's season finale thinking I was gonna be playing baseball myself tonight. I rode my bike downtown and watched the fireworks from Main Street, just past the Fieldhouse. There were hundreds of folks on Main St. enjoying the show. :D

Excellent! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Where is this info on MiLB.com? I've been over the site and can't find attendance numbers. Anyone know the average for the entire 2007 season?

The league attendance figures are on the SAL page under the league statistics section...or just CLICK HERE. Just a few weeks ago, the average attendance was over 5000, so attendance must have waned a bit toward the end of the season.

6,675 last night? Wow! I peeked in the fence and knew I had never seen that many people there before. The final 2007 season attendance was announced as 339,356 at this morning's season finale. That's nearly 4,850 per game. :D

Edited by Galley

The Drive have an action packed October, even though the season is over. Thursday night football at the 500 Club, Saturday night Family Movies, Weds. Lunch at the field, etc. Great to see West End Field getting good use even out of season.

http://greenvilledrive.com.ismmedia.com/IS...er%20Flyer2.pdf

All of these things sound great. Hopefully these events will be popular ones, and provide extra pedestrian traffic on that side of the West End.

All of these things sound great. Hopefully these events will be popular ones, and provide extra pedestrian traffic on that side of the West End.

Those events do sound great. I hope, like Greenville said, that they are popular and provide increased amounts of pedestrian traffic through the West End :thumbsup: I hope someone plans to attend and can give us some insight into the popularity, quality, and other aspects of it... I wish I was there to see it first hand.

So Kapler was only here for a year? For some reason, I think I thought he was permanently retired. An article about him returning to the playing field.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/20/...n-to-the-field/

http://greenvilledrive.com/clubhouse/news/...?article_id=206

The Drive have reported the same thing. He's 32, and I can imagine he still has the itch to play. He was retired, but you can unretire too.

...He was retired, but you can unretire too.

Yes, indeed. Just look at Roger Clemens. How many times has he retired? It's not baseball, but look at ABC's Keith Jackson, too. I've been reading some blogs of late that were reporting that Kapler was wanting to get back to the playing field. He certainly does seem to have some devoted fans out there. I wonder who the Drive's new manager will be in 2008?

Yes, indeed. Just look at Roger Clemens. How many times has he retired? It's not baseball, but look at ABC's Keith Jackson, too. I've been reading some blogs of late that were reporting that Kapler was wanting to get back to the playing field. He certainly does seem to have some devoted fans out there. I wonder who the Drive's new manager will be in 2008?

If Kapler returns as a player for Boston next season, he could coached by Luis Alicea. So you would have the 2006 Drive manager coaching the 2007 Drive manager on the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else been to the Saturday night movies at West End Field? I went with some family Saturday evening to check it out and it was real pleasant. There were probably 200 to 300 or so for the free movie. It was nice to see so many kids playing on the field, touch football, etc., especially by the Green Monster.

Of course parking wasn't a problem, even with Fall for Greenville going on, and seems like a great way to have a cheap family outing. I think its going on for two more weeks.

Thought this would be happening sooner or later with the popularity of The Drive and West End Field.....

A couple is to be married on home plate at West End Field. The wedding party will sit in the stands and a reception will follow with standard baseball food. Congrats to the couple! :thumbsup:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/71018020

My 16-year old daughter wants to do the same thing someday (which is odd, since she's not much of a baseball fan).