Greenville Drive Baseball

The Richmond Braves (AAA) will be moving to a new facility in Gwinnett County, Georgia in 2009. The Atlanta Braves have been wanting Richmond to upgrade their facilities for many years. If you recall, Atlanta talked about moving their AAA franchise to Greenville if a proper stadium could be built. I love West End Field, but Greenville deserves better than single-A ball. :(

The Richmond Braves (AAA) will be moving to a new facility in Gwinnett County, Georgia in 2009. The Atlanta Braves have been wanting Richmond to upgrade their facilities for many years. If you recall, Atlanta talked about moving their AAA franchise to Greenville if a proper stadium could be built. I love West End Field, but Greenville deserves better than single-A ball. :(

Yea...this is pretty sad. The (Atlanta) Braves played hardball with Richmond the same way they tried to play hardball with Greenville. I feel sorry for Richmond, though - the Washington Nationals had discussed the idea of locating an affiliate franchise to Richmond, but they turned it down to continue to negotiate with the Braves when the Braves had pretty much already made their minds up to move the team to Gwinnett just as they had already made their minds up to relocate the G-Braves to Pearl.

As for Greenville...do we really deserve anything better than what we have with the Drive and West End Field? Is there anything better, really? We have an intimate ballpark with a team that is affiliated with the major league team that has won 2 out of the last 4 World Series titles (and is poised to win more). Granted, I'd love to see the Red Sox move Greenville up to Single-A Advanced or even Double-AA, but I'm quite happy with what we have here. We've got something that a lot of big league calibre cities do not have - downtown baseball.

Perhaps it is because I am a fan of Greenville more than I am a baseball fan, but I would much rather have a single A team that plays in an amazing ballpark that has been fully embraced by the city - and has spurred a lot of economic development - than a higher level of minor league baseball in a drab stadium outside the city. I realize that there are those who go to watch minor league baseball for the baseball itself, but I would bet that they are in the minority. My guess is that many of the fans are there to have a good family outing and watch baseball in a great ballpark with wonderful views, regardless of the level of competition.

My guess is that many of the fans are there to have a good family outing and watch baseball in a great ballpark with wonderful views, regardless of the level of competition.

Amen, brother! Granted, I do go for the baseball, too....but the family outing with the kids and a ballgame rocks my socks.

As for Greenville...do we really deserve anything better than what we have with the Drive and West End Field? Is there anything better, really? We have an intimate ballpark with a team that is affiliated with the major league team that has won 2 out of the last 4 World Series titles (and is poised to win more). Granted, I'd love to see the Red Sox move Greenville up to Single-A Advanced or even Double-AA, but I'm quite happy with what we have here. We've got something that a lot of big league calibre cities do not have - downtown baseball.

Well said!!!!!

Is there anything, anywhere, better than the Drive and West End Field? I've never seen it!

Yeah, can't wait! I had my season tickets paid for back in Nov.

Would you believe that I have yet to pull the trigger on season tickets? None of the plans are very practical for me, especially given how often I'm out of town and the unexpected short notice and nature of my out-of-town stints. I can't plan around season tickets...it's just far better for me to buy them at the ticket window the day of or day before the game. And, in spite of how popular G-Drive games have been, I've still managed to get some excellent seats for some games right behind home plate. Kinda makes me wonder just how many season ticket holders there are. :dontknow:

Would you believe that I have yet to pull the trigger on season tickets? None of the plans are very practical for me, especially given how often I'm out of town and the unexpected short notice and nature of my out-of-town stints. I can't plan around season tickets...it's just far better for me to buy them at the ticket window the day of or day before the game. And, in spite of how popular G-Drive games have been, I've still managed to get some excellent seats for some games right behind home plate. Kinda makes me wonder just how many season ticket holders there are. :dontknow:

I've got one of the partial season plans... we have aisle seats on the second row behind home plate. Due to the Drive's liberal trading policy, we've been able to work the tickets around our schedule. Although it did get more difficult as the season wore on... we ended up trading one pair of tickets for last row of bleacher seats in the very corner on the first base side. I do think the weekend games tend to be more difficult in that respect.

• 3 weeks later...

Does everyone like the new design? I think I might have liked the old one better. This one looks more like a hospital in comparison. I can almost smell the rubbing alcohol... There's nothing fun or exciting about it. I mean UP's page is nice, but it's not going to get me excited about attending a quality baseball game at a top-notch facility... and neither does this new design.

Check out the website redesign! It looks so much, better, but I'm still not crazy about the rotating stories. :thumbsup:

It looks much cleaner, and I don't mind the rotating stories if they were done correctly. The first time around, it removes the previous story from the page, gets the new story from the server, and then puts the new story in place. This disrupts the page layout considerably during the replacement. Kinda nitpicky, but other than that it looks very professional.

Does everyone like the new design? I think I might have liked the old one better. This one looks more like a hospital in comparison. I can almost smell the rubbing alcohol... There's nothing fun or exciting about it. I mean UP's page is nice, but it's not going to get me excited about attending a quality baseball game at a top-notch facility... and neither does this new design.

I liked the brick on the former design better!

I would tend to agree that the colors are a bit cold/stark on this one. I like the layout itself - it's much cleaner and more professional; however, the colors could have been made more warm and rich and less institutional, that's for sure. It is definitely much easier for me to navigate.

Edit: One simple color change could really warm this page up and put that "Hospital" look away, though...check this out (I changed the side bar and league standings to red from that institutional blue):

G-DriveSite.jpg

Also, notice the "oops" that is circled at the bottom of the page.

End Edit:

It looks much cleaner, and I don't mind the rotating stories if they were done correctly. The first time around, it removes the previous story from the page, gets the new story from the server, and then puts the new story in place. This disrupts the page layout considerably during the replacement. Kinda nitpicky, but other than that it looks very professional.

Yes - this is annoying...I was scrolling down the page and it forced me back to the top while loading the next story and disrupted me, too, on the first pass-through. Once they're all loaded, though, you're golden. At least we no longer have to sit and wait and wait for the images of local baseball legends to load at the top - that was a pain. They could still perhaps dedicate a separate page to the Greenville/Upstate Baseball Hall of fame and provide info/bio on each of the local legends with respect to their relationship to the upstate. That'd be cool.

Now if only the City of Greenville could improve their site...but that's another story...

Edited by RestedTraveler

I'm sure most of you have seen this http://www.greenvilledrive.com/news/index....?article_id=238 but I thought I'd add it to the conversation.

I think it's great the Drive is opening the field to other college games that aren't necessarily tournaments.

I'm particularly excited to see my alma mater Michigan State is making the trek down for a few games mid March.

I will be making a road trip down from Charlotte to partake in that. This will be my third time to West End Field. Big fan. I'm also itching to try the Brown Street Club as I saw it in construction last time I was down. And now they've already gone through a renovation! That is conversation for another thread though...

Back on topic, I think the new Drive website is quite an improvement.

More good community involvement from the Drive. They will be opening Fluor Field to the public starting on March 3 (through April 3), during lunch hours (M,W,F), so people can walk the track and get exercise. Great for downtown workers.

Article:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3598957

That's great! I truly hope that people take advantage of this! Not only would it be healthy for people to do, but it'd be great way to promote baseball and the ballpark itself. Way to go, Drive! :thumbsup: