Greenville Drive Baseball

Curious if any of you went to the game last night and how the crowd was? :dontknow: I knew a couple of people that had planned to attend but didn't, because of the rain and chilly temps.

I went with my daugheter and we froze our asses off, but it was a fun game to watch. It was tied 1-1 when we left at the end of the 7th inning (school night). We missed the fireworks after the game, but at least they launched a few during the pre-game Fluor Field renaming ceremonies.

The name may have changed, but it's still a great ballpark with awesome entertainment value aside from the game itself.

Some minor changes this year:

• Single Game Ticket prices and classifications have changed (with the blue and red seats having each gone up $1).
  • Also, I've noticed that there seems to be an emphasis less on beer and more on family-friendly things in the ballpark this year. The Budweiser ads are gone from the tops of the dugouts and replaced by Dunkin Doughnuts. Some of the beer carts up on the concourse have been replaced by carts selling peanuts/cotton candy/etc. as well.
  • One other minor change...I noticed during practice on Wednesday that the Greenville "g" logo is gone from the sleeves of the green jerseys and has been replaced by the red sox.

^ :cry:

Thanks! Do you think the attendence was near sold-out level?

I'd heard earlier from staff that just about the whole opening weekend is officially sold out -- that they'd sold out before everyone realized what a rainy weekend we were going to have. I think there were some walk-up/lawn tickets remaining, but that was about it. So even though the crowd was light (but dedicated!) Thursday night, it counts as a sellout since all those seats were sold. Hope Sunday's weather will be as good as they're predicting (partly cloudy & 74), and we'll finally get a perfect day for baseball!

Oh, one other change I noticed. You can now buy Dunkin' coffee in the stadium :D -- which, with last night's chilly weather, is perfect timing.

^ :cry:

Thanks! Do you think the attendence was near sold-out level?

Oh, the beer is still there - there's just more of a balance between it and the other stuff it seems.

Paid attendance (according to the box score): Att: 5,232. I'd say there were about 4000 actually in the park at game time and that number dropped off dramatically after the 5th inning or so. As DowntownCityGirl commented, the entire opening weekend is pretty much sold out. You can still get some straggling tickets here and there in the box and reserved sections for Sunday and of course Lawn & Deck are still available.

Oh, one other change I noticed. You can now buy Dunkin' coffee in the stadium :D -- which, with last night's chilly weather, is perfect timing.

Where the heck was it? I saw people with cups all over the place but couldn't figure out where they were getting it. We had Chick-fil-A bring us some hot cocoa. My tongue still hasn't recovered. If I'm going to scorch taste buds on a hot drink, I think I would have preferred to have done it with the coffee. :lol:

Dunkin' is in the concession stands! Good stuff! I bought a Lawn seat, but the guy told me that it was closed that night! WTF?! Anywho... so I sat in some of the less-faithful rich people (green) seats...

Was is me, or did the concession prices go up? Candy for 2$!

DD is available at all of them? How the heck did I miss that? I guess I was looking for one specific DD concession stand just as there's one Chick-fil-A stand and one Salsarita's stand.

I suspect maybe you'll find the "lawn" part of the "Lawn & Deck" seating off limits on rainy nights this season. The lawn has taken a beating in the past couple of seasons and especially gets torn up on rainiy nights. Plus, it looks as though they've recently replaced a lot of the grass there with strips of new sod. Maybe they're giving them time to get established before allowing people to trample on it. :dontknow: The lawn is great. I sat there a lot last year even though my seats were in the box or reserve seating sections, mainly because my kids liked to spend their time at the playground and it was nice to be close by them.

As for the concession prices , theyseem pretty much in line with what they had been in the past couple of seasons, from what I could tell. At least for a bottle of water and the Chick-fil-A stuff.

Kind of cool thing the Drive is doing at their April 15-18 home stand, to make up for last weekend's less-than-perfect weather --with fireworks on Tuesday AND Friday now. This was in today's Greenville News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....384/1002/SPORTS

Minor league teams can be seriously hurt by rain outs. An especially rainy season will really hurt a team's bottom line, as they have to honor tickets with comp. tickets to other games. So, yeah, it does make lots of financial sense for the Drive to really push it's numbers up higher, for a second opening weekend.

I know we've said it before, but it bears repeating: The G-Drive are one class organization. :thumbsup:

The Greenville Drive and Michelin, the industry leader in tire production with North American headquarters in Greenville, announced today that the two organizations have entered into a long-term corporate partnership with a community focus that includes cultural diversity, education and quality of life in the Upstate. As part of the partnership Michelin will be the title sponsor of

• 2 weeks later...

A few nice words from Peter King with CNNSI

10 d. There aren't a lot of prettier minor-league parks than Fluor Field at the West End in Greenville, S.C., home of the Class A Greenville Drive. Saw it for a few innings the other night.

Its seems to leave that impression on every one that enters it. We are pretty lucky to have it.

Forgive me for butting in, but I think some clarification may be in order. I think what he's saying is he sat in the seats of some of the "less faithful" season ticket holders who don't attend the games. I see an awful lot of empty green and blue (btw...the season ticket seats can be in the Box or Reserved Section - either Green or Blue) seats in sections that are supposedly sold out...this tells me a lot of season ticket holders don't attend every game.

Forgive me for butting in, but I think some clarification may be in order. I think what he's saying is he sat in the seats of some of the "less faithful" season ticket holders who don't attend the games. I see an awful lot of empty green and blue (btw...the season ticket seats can be in the Box or Reserved Section - either Green or Blue) seats in sections that are supposedly sold out...this tells me a lot of season ticket holders don't attend every game.

That is what I understood him to say as well, RT.

I wonder how many season tickets the Drive have sold? How many partial plans? Have they ever published that information?

I don't think I could ever see myself purchasing tickets to 70 home games, that is a large commitment. I could see myself purchasing tickets on a partial plan, if there were more incentives. As it is, I have never gone to a Drive game when I couldn't get tickets up to a few days before hand, and I have usually bought tickets at the gate the day of the game.

Saturday evening, my wife and I went to the park, but when we arrived, looked through the fence, and saw the rain delay and figured with the rain, the team would be having several rain delays all night, so we just went to get a bite to eat downtown instead. Found out later, they played until midnight.

Well, with season tickets you can take old tickets you didn't use and exchange them for general admission tickets. I think that's incentive enough...you can use them for a larger group later on, give them to friends, whatever...

And there's no way you can expect season ticket holders to attend every game. That's just ridiculous unless you have nothing else to do. Now if the same seats were empty over and over again, I would question them for buying season tickets...

Edited by p2y2r7o

Well, with season tickets you can take old tickets you didn't use and exchange them for general admission tickets. I think that's incentive enough...you can use them for a larger group later on, give them to friends, whatever...

I keep hearing this from season ticket-holders such as yourself, but the G-Drive have never once mentioned this to me when trying to sell me on season tickets. It must be a secret or something? :dontknow: Not being in town for every game has been the biggest reason I haven't gotten season tickets. If I knew I could exchange them or trade them in, I wouldn't have hesitated. Oh well, it's too late now. It's still fun to walk up to the window and purchase them. :lol:

I keep hearing this from season ticket-holders such as yourself, but the G-Drive have never once mentioned this to me when trying to sell me on season tickets. It must be a secret or something? :dontknow: Not being in town for every game has been the biggest reason I haven't gotten season tickets. If I knew I could exchange them or trade them in, I wouldn't have hesitated. Oh well, it's too late now. It's still fun to walk up to the window and purchase them. :lol:

Yeah, i don't know why they don't advertise that. I'm not even sure how my dad found out about it now that I think back, but it definitely works.

Its mentioned in the letter that they give you with your season tickets.

A new thing that they started doing this year was if you turned in your tickets ahead of time, you earned credit towards your next year's tickets. its like 4 bucks a seat.

I think they do it to try and fill the seats that are often empty, because they resell those seats.

I'm sitting here watching this lop-sided game between the Cubs and Brewers at Wrigley Field on ESPN and Gabe Kapler is in Right Field for the Brewers...and they mention (of all things) that Gabe Kapler was the manager of the Single-A Red Sox Affiliate from the South Atlantic League, the Greenville Drive, last season. I glance over the top of my laptop to see a photo of Gabe in a G-Drive home jersey on the screen. They went on to mention how frustrated Gabe was with the team's performance last season - so much so that he'd stay at West End Field and take batting practice after everyone else had left just so he could take out his frustration, loosen up, and chill out. It's kinda cool to see the G-Drive mentioned on ESPN.

While I'm on the subject, the thought popped into my head that it'd be nice to see a Minor League Game of the Week or something of the sort on ESPN2 or the like. They could showcase places like Fluor Field and teams such as ours - there are neat minor league parks and teams all across this country - it'd be cool to see them on the tube from time to time.

I'm sitting here watching this lop-sided game between the Cubs and Brewers at Wrigley Field on ESPN and Gabe Kapler is in Right Field for the Brewers...and they mention (of all things) that Gabe Kapler was the manager of the Single-A Red Sox Affiliate from the South Atlantic League, the Greenville Drive, last season. I glance over the top of my laptop to see a photo of Gabe in a G-Drive home jersey on the screen. They went on to mention how frustrated Gabe was with the team's performance last season - so much so that he'd stay at West End Field and take batting practice after everyone else had left just so he could take out his frustration, loosen up, and chill out. It's kinda cool to see the G-Drive mentioned on ESPN.

While I'm on the subject, the thought popped into my head that it'd be nice to see a Minor League Game of the Week or something of the sort on ESPN2 or the like. They could showcase places like Fluor Field and teams such as ours - there are neat minor league parks and teams all across this country - it'd be cool to see them on the tube from time to time.

That's a great idea about ESPN having a "minor league game of the week." I'm not a baseball fan, but I would watch if Greenville were on there!

By the way, very cool story about Gabe Kapler you saw! Sounds like some nice exposure for our Greenville Drive. :)