Greenville Drive Baseball

Exciting game indeed! Good to see that Lin is gonna represent Greenville in the futures game. If im not mistaken they are gonna open the ballpark to the public after the game on the 4th. So if your there for the game stick around there will be plenty to do. Good seats to watch fireworks.

:) That is indeed correct according to this news release:

http://greenvilledrive.com/news/index.html?article_id=351

Apparently the Drive's attendance is outpacing last year's record setting year (for the first half of the season). The team posted great numbers for year one at West End Field, and topped them in the year two. It appears as if year three at the ballpark could even pass those...

I know that I have been to far more games this year than ever before. :)

IMO attendance will continue to grow too. The Drive and Fluor Field are waaaayyyyy more that just a ballgame. It is defintely a social scene. Fluor Field has sort of become our public gathering spot.....Greenville's living room.

I took a few work associates who were in town, to a game some weeks back. They immediately picked up on the social aspect and commented positively on it.

^^definitely. I've found it to be a social scene for college students. They buy a lawn & deck ticket and head to the 500 club. I hope that whoever buys the City's bus repair property behind right field will have a really great and fun bar. Liberty seems to catch good post-game crowds, but having one right next to the 500 club will allow people to spill right over.

IMO attendance will continue to grow too. The Drive and Fluor Field are waaaayyyyy more that just a ballgame. It is defintely a social scene. Fluor Field has sort of become our public gathering spot.....Greenville's living room.

I took a few work associates who were in town, to a game some weeks back. They immediately picked up on the social aspect and commented positively on it.

The ballgame part is the only thing I would change about the Drive experience. Low single A baseball is hit and miss sometimes.

The ballgame part is the only thing I would change about the Drive experience. Low single A baseball is hit and miss sometimes.

Agreed. The players move up and out too fast.

In a way though, the fact it is Single A makes the continual increase in attendance that much more amazing. Greenvillians treat the game like it is the Red Sox in the World Series. That says something really positive about Greenvillians.

I am quite happy that our attendance consistently beats the Double AA Braves that left. I'm sure they've looked back in hindsight many times. ;)

I am quite happy that our attendance consistently beats the Double AA Braves that left. I'm sure they've looked back in hindsight many times. ;)

Maybe, but the Braves organization just has a unique minor league business model. I think they are the only MLB club that owns all its minor league clubs.

They have a nice set up outside Jackson, MS. It's a similar ballpark to Fluor Field, just in the suburbs. I have no idea what their cost structures are, but they seem to be doing well. I do miss the Braves though, and AA ball.

Attendance for last year, the pre number is the rank among all minor league baseball:

51. Greenville Drive (SAL) 339,356

80. Mississippi Braves (SL) 246,674

The highest attendance of any Single A team is the 28. Lakewood BlueClaws (SAL) 442,256. Interesting thing is that there are three other SAL team that had higher attendance than Greenville last year, Lakewood, Lexington, and Greensboro. The highest attendance of any AA Southern League team is: 56. Montgomery Biscuits (SL) 311,872 (who have one of the best names in all of MiLB, IMO). I believe

Edited by whitehourseview

Maybe, but the Braves organization just has a unique minor league business model. I think they are the only MLB club that owns all its minor league clubs.

They have a nice set up outside Jackson, MS. It's a similar ballpark to Fluor Field, just in the suburbs. I have no idea what their cost structures are, but they seem to be doing well. I do miss the Braves though, and AA ball.

Attendance for last year, the pre number is the rank among all minor league baseball:

The highest attendance of any Single A team is the 28. Lakewood BlueClaws (SAL) 442,256. Interesting thing is that there are three other SAL team that had higher attendance than Greenville last year, Lakewood, Lexington, and Greensboro. The highest attendance of any AA Southern League team is: 56. Montgomery Biscuits (SL) 311,872 (who have one of the best names in all of MiLB, IMO). I believe

So Single A Greenville beats the highest Southern League Double AA by 27,000? Nice.

I used to live in Jacskon (briefly) before the Braves were there.....no offense to Jackson, but the city just isn't very supportive of sports, festivals, events, etc. I have been back since the Braves moved, to their new stadium. It is OK, but it sits at a bland interstate exit (with truck stops) surrounded by a sea of pavement. Wasn't very impressed.

So...339,356 for last year...and that was more than the first year, if I'm remembering correctly. Anyone done the math to total up the 1st year, 2nd year and this year? That's a lot of fans!

So...339,356 for last year...and that was more than the first year, if I'm remembering correctly. Anyone done the math to total up the 1st year, 2nd year and this year? That's a lot of fans!

Not I, but the article in the paper said they hope (or expect) to hit the one millionth fan mark (assuming the pace continues...) :shades:

Man, it was brutally hot waiting in line to have my picture taken with the World Series trophy. The temps dropped 20 degrees when the storms came through. I'll post a photo later. :camera:

I saw something new on one of the trolleys. It now has a placard that lists the next home game's date, and another with the upcoming homestand dates. It's all done in a Green Monster-like motif. Wish I had snapped a photo. I'm going again tomorrow. I'll try to get one then. :)

Does anyone know if the Drive store here sells the "Green Monstah" shirt? I love this shirt. :lol:

http://www.fenwayoutlet.com/monstahshirt.html

I love this! :lol: It is a logical fit in Greenville, for obvious reasons: connection to Boston, the "green" color, etc. I like the "Believe in Boston" part around the clover leaf, and think it could even be adapted to say "Believe in Greenville" also. Either way, it would be perfect in Greenville and I hope they sell it in the Drive team store (if they don't already)! :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Greenville Drive has honored their one millionth fan. Clayton Angermeier, from Greer, is the One Mllionth fan at West End Field.

"As the Honorary Millionth Fan, Angermeier will receive a trip for four to Boston with airfare and hotel included and tickets to a Red Sox game during the 2009 season. In addition, the prize package will included Drive season tickets for 2009, generous gifts from Drive corporate partners, the opportunity to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at a future Drive game, the opportunity to appear in an upcoming Drive advertisement, and a Drive gift package which included a customized jersey and Drive merchandise."

Article:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3703945

The Greenville Drive has honored their one millionth fan. Clayton Angermeier, from Greer, is the One Mllionth fan at West End Field.

"As the Honorary Millionth Fan, Angermeier will receive a trip for four to Boston with airfare and hotel included and tickets to a Red Sox game during the 2009 season. In addition, the prize package will included Drive season tickets for 2009, generous gifts from Drive corporate partners, the opportunity to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at a future Drive game, the opportunity to appear in an upcoming Drive advertisement, and a Drive gift package which included a customized jersey and Drive merchandise."

Article:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3703945

This is great. As usual, the Drive organization has gone well above and beyond what was necessary. They could've given this guy a "congratulations" and Drive t-shirt, but instead he's getting all of this. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...