Greenville Drive Baseball

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...

I think they're going to have another great season.

They are hosting a college night for all upstate colleges and universities in April. I know that buzz and excitement is mounting for this at Clemson and among several other people I know at other schools. I think it'll be a great turnout and bring in a lot of revenue for businesses and bars downtown. :good:

• 4 weeks later...

I only stayed for half of the game tonight (it got quite chilly), but I must say, Fluor Field has become a people watchers dream........

Observations from this evening:

- Go home and cover up girls.....spring may have started but it's still cold at night.....sandals and a short sundress don't cut it when it is in the 50's.

- Why do all Greenville girls look like clones? Sorry, I love Greenville, but the 20 something girls are clones.....step it up, step out, be your own person.

- Oooops, she wasn't a Greenville girl....looks like she drove up from Anderson.

- OK dude, he's more than your best friend. Do you really think you are fooling anyone other than your girlfriend?

- Sweet family.

- See, the South ain't so bad. Fluor Field is impressing Northerners.

- OMG.....that's you Knox! One too many drinks? Great to see your human side.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how closely y'all have been following the Greenville Drive this season, but they're in first place in their division. This is the best team I've seen them have on the field in 4 years.

Also - if you're on Twitter, follow the GreenvilleDrive on Twitter for reminders of upcoming games, promotions, and re-caps of yesterday's scores/performances.

• 1 month later...

This afternoon's game, with John Smoltz as the starting pitcher, set an all time attendance record at Fluor Field. The announced attendance at the game was 7,129 I believe.

As always, it was a good time!

That's incredible! They could have sold at least a few hundred more tickets, too ... they were turning people away (including me) at the box office left and right. I knew I should have gotten my ticket on Friday, but I didn't envision them ever selling out of Lawn & Deck. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

-The Greenville Drive -

2009 First Half SAL Champions

A 15-3 win over Lexington clinched the Championship! Congrats to the Club, Coach Boles, and the entire organization! We are the Champions! Is this the first Greenville Club to win a championship since the Grrowl? Wow! Way to Go Guys! :yahoo:

Edited by furman94

They clinched the division title for the first half of the season. The playoffs don't begin until September.

Out of curiosity....so what happens if the Drive also win the SAL Southern Division for the 2nd half of the season? Do they get a "first round bye" in the playoffs and just sit and wait for the SAL Northern Division to decide their champion or is there some other algorithm for determining which 2nd place team they will face for the SAL Southern Division Championship?

Out of curiosity....so what happens if the Drive also win the SAL Southern Division for the 2nd half of the season? Do they get a "first round bye" in the playoffs and just sit and wait for the SAL Northern Division to decide their champion or is there some other algorithm for determining which 2nd place team they will face for the SAL Southern Division Championship?

I believe they do get a bye.

• 3 months later...

The Drive attedance numbers are out, and Greenville continues to supports its team! :)

Despite the recession, the numbers for the past four years shake down like this:

2009- 345,416

2008- 349,116

2007- 339,356

2006- 330,078

And, of course, this season set an all time high attendance record for one game of 7,129. This was the game that John Smoltz pitched.

EDIT: this is third highest among SAL teams.

Edited by GvilleSC

The Drive attedance numbers are out, and Greenville continues to supports its team! :)

Despite the recession, the numbers for the past four years shake down like this:

2009- 345,416

2008- 349,116

2007- 339,356

2006- 330,078

And, of course, this season set an all time high attendance record for one game of 7,129. This was the game that John Smoltz pitched.

EDIT: this is third highest among SAL teams.

Excellent news. :thumbsup::thumbsup: We need to break the 350 mark in 2010.

• 3 months later...

Fluor Field will once again play host to several of the nation's top baseball programs this Spring. The ballpark will host its first annual First Pitch Invitational. The three day round robin tournament will feature: Clemson, Michigan State, Miami (Ohio), and Furman.

"We are extremely excited about coming to Greenville and playing at Fluor Field this February," commented Jake Boss, Head Coach of Michigan State. "Our players have had the opportunity to play there the last two years and will never forget the hospitality of the people in Greenville, and the first-class manner in which they were treated by the Greenville Drive personnel. It is certainly a highlight on our schedule and something we look forward to continuing for years to come here at Michigan State."

Presbyterian College and University of South Carolina are the two other teams playing at the field this year, totaling six programs that will take the field this season.

The biggest and most anticipated game of the year will be the first annual Reedy River Rivalry game between the University of South Carolina and Clemson University on March 6.

The economic impact and importance of Fluor Field to the West End is huge. These games will continue to prove that...

Fluor Field will once again play host to several of the nation's top baseball programs this Spring. The ballpark will host its first annual First Pitch Invitational. The three day round robin tournament will feature: Clemson, Michigan State, Miami (Ohio), and Furman.

Presbyterian College and University of South Carolina are the two other teams playing at the field this year, totaling six programs that will take the field this season.

The biggest and most anticipated game of the year will be the first annual Reedy River Rivalry game between the University of South Carolina and Clemson University on March 6.

The economic impact and importance of Fluor Field to the West End is huge. These games will continue to prove that...

This is great for the West End as well as Fluor Field. Someone is to be commended for organizing this high quality tournament. :)

• 1 month later...

Good article on the economic / redevelopment impact that Fluor Field and the Drive have had on Greenville / West End.

http://www.thestate.com/2010/04/05/1229665/baseball-a-hit-in-greenville.html

It was interesting to read the comments below the article. One which made me laugh:

Columbia will continue to be the "over grown Mayberry" of the southeast, until someone with a clear vision(and a lot of money), comes forth and gives back to the community.

:lol: