Favorite BBQ Sauce Style?

peaceloveunderstanding

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, I have run into very very very few people who know about Chicken Bog. It's certainly unknown here in the Piedmont. :shades:

Oooh son, we need to talk! I'm kind of a bog efficianado! I think it's one of the most underrated & unknown dishes out there!

One question for you: Sausage, bacon or neither? You should know what I'm talking about.

As a great compliment to it, there's a BBQ sauce out of Florence called "Coleman's Hot Sauce" or "CHS". It's GREAT on bog! :wub:

Sausage! I don't like bacon in my chicken bog.

Did you know there is a chicken bog festival in Loris, SC? (which is located in Horry County) I've only seen this dish to be commonly known amongst the local people of coastal SC.

Oh yeah, very familiar with the festival. I think it was held last weekend.

The "Bog line" pretty much extends from Florence to the coast, and encompasses the bordering NC counties as well. I found a great link to the history of this dish awhile back, and I've been searching for it. If I find it, i'll post it here.

Ahh that's good. We grew up with it in Myrtle Beach. I was quite astonished that no one Charlotte knew about Chicken Bog when I move to Charlotte. No doubt the dish dates back to the colonial days when SC grew all of the rice in the nation. I think I remember it also being inspired from a slave dish, but I am not sure.

Ahh that's good. We grew up with it in Myrtle Beach. I was quite astonished that no one Charlotte knew about Chicken Bog when I move to Charlotte. No doubt the dish dates back to the colonial days when SC grew all of the rice in the nation. I think I remember it also being inspired from a slave dish, but I am not sure.

You would be correct. As you may know, slaves basically had to make due with what ever scraps were left over from the "main house". So, in a large cast iron pot (used to wash clothes) would go chicken "parts", rice, veggies (onion & carrots, I do believe), and the black pepper.

Legend has it that this dish MUST be made in a cast iron pot......and under a full moon.

I love Texas bbq. Somebody mentioned Angelo's in Fort Worth. That is a great great place for bbq. The crazy thing though is that it's not even near the top of being the best in the state.

The thing about Texas BBQ is that when it is good it can be quite good, but when it's bad you can use it for shoe leather. Texans love to use Brisket and it is a not known for being tender. I have literally had Texas BBQ that you could not cut with a knife. For me and everyone that knows BBQ, there is Memphis Style BBQ and then everything else.

It's hard for me to believe a thread about southern BBQ has reached 3 dozen responses without any mention of Alabama.

Y'all really don't know what you're missin' :w00t:

I would have to agree.... Archibald's and Dreamland come to mind.

The original Dreamland is fairly infamous and not only in the South. My brother-in-law and his family went skiing several years ago in Aspen and actually saw a billboard near the slopes, proclaiming "If you think those ribs in T-town are great, wait 'till you try ours."

Dreamland ribs and sauce are shipped all across the country.

We prefer to do the dry rub cooking method ourselves and then just add either Dreamland or a blend of it and Archibald's over the top once cooked.

"Interstate BBQ in Memphis has BBQ Spaghetti..."

That was really interesting to try. I went to Neely's Interstate BBQ in Memphis for the first time

in June, and that's what I ordered. It's a little weird, but an interesting novelty.

Their dessert is great, though : Sock-lt-To-Me Cake .

"Jim N' Nick's, in Birmingham..."

I like them, too - bigger menu than most AL BBQ places, including things like smoked turkey.

They have started branching out to other locations, too.

greystone98, that's a neat story about Aspen. My brother's a professor here at UA, and

it was fun introducing one of his graduate students from Tokyo to the original Dreamland BBQ - talk about culture shock :)

In addition to Archibald's/Woodrow's and Dreamland, a Tuscaloosa BBQ place I like is Pottery Grill, though it's so far out there that I rarely get out that way.

In Mobile, I like a place called Brick Pit, which is near the USA campus.

Here's an obscure one: Shemwell's BBQ in Cairo IL -- smoked pork shoulder, sliced (not shredded), toasted on sandwich bread, with their own secret vinegar based, but thick sauce - usually pretty hot and definitely not found anywhere else, AFAIK.. They're just about 150 miles from Memphis and the people there have no idea about it.. they don't even bother with the BBQ competition there!

I can't find it anywhere - so I managed to, um, acquire the secret sauce recipe and just make my own!

Anyway - there's my thoughts -- wonder if anybody else knows about Shemwell's in Cairo - if you do, then you'll have your own opinion about Howard & Cornell's vs. Darryl's!

David

Archived