Sparrow Projects

hood

I always wondered, just looking at those pics, why they didn't build at least one level of the Sparrow Parking Structure underground?

BTW, I wonder what is going to happen to the old Pattengill? Hopefully, a company like Bioport will save it. I'd hate to see this school go, it's architecturally significant, and adds a lot of phyiscal density to that block.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swore I heard one of the school board meetings when they said that the estimated cost of demolition at Pattengale was $3 million. If so, that gives the school district that much more of a reason to find something else for it, it would be dumb to tear it down for $3 million when they could sell it, even it was for $1 (but I'd assume they could get at least $500,000 out of it).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like they are starting to move a little faster on this project now, they have gotten almost all of the third floor up and over half of the fourth floor columns up in 2 weeks, hopefully in about 3 or 4 weeks we'll see the building start to rise up on the Michigan Ave side.

Sparrow5463596.jpg

Sparrow4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They now have all the fourth floor columns up and some of the fifth floor columns up on the Michigan Ave side, they are also putting in the covered pedestrian walkway on the Michigan side. In a couple weeks, probably around the first of July you will probably start to see the actualy building take shape on the Michigan Ave side. One good thing is that they are finally moving on this project.

Sparrow7466969.jpg

Sparrow6466968.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Work is progressing nicely at Sparrow, although I think progress may stall a bit for a couple weeks since they have to raise the elevator shafts ands such before building any more floors. I just noticed the foundation of the utiltiy plant for the first time, it's set quite far back off of Jerome, so I assume that they have plans for the land directly fronting the street. And they also have a total of four cranes working on this now.

Sparrow8468912.jpg

Foundation of utility plant:

Sparrow9.jpg

I have already heard that Sparrow plans to build an Administrative/Classroom building and another parking ramp on the Northside of Jerome. I was wondering where they were going to put it before with the utilities plant going up there, but I guess with the setback the building will be able to be right up to the street. I have tried to contact Sparrow about the new buildings, they said that they were included in the hospital's master plan, but that the document was not available to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress over the past two weeks has been pretty dissapointing, there isn't much new, except the columns have begun rising over Michigan. I got some pics from the backside anyways, but I'm glad that construction will be visible from the front from now on, because the construction of the utility tunnel has made it very difficult to get pics from back there. Come next weekend they should have the fifth floor, or at least it's forms up, and then the construction will be more interesting to watch.

Sparrow12.jpg

Utility tunnel

Sparrow11.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived