Hampton Inn

it's just dave

I've never seen a rendering of the hotel, either. It's weird, I looked through the NCP archives to find the Nov. 9, 2005 article that contained a rendering (PDF edition) of the hotel. The article said that Memphis based LLW Architects designed the building, but there's no rendering on their website. They're the same firm that designed the Hampton at Peabody in Memphis which appears to be similar in design and scale to the Nashville hotel. I would guess the facade will be similar. There is a good photo of it somewhere on this forum if you can find it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never seen a rendering of the hotel, either. It's weird, I looked through the NCP archives to find the Nov. 9, 2005 article that contained a rendering (PDF edition) of the hotel. The article said that Memphis based LLW Architects designed the building, but there's no rendering on their website. They're the same firm that designed the Hampton at Peabody in Memphis which appears to be similar in design and scale to the Nashville hotel. I would guess the facade will be similar. There is a good photo of it somewhere on this forum if you can find it.

^Cool, thanks man. Except for the cheesy Geordi La Forge visor on the top, the building's not too shabbadelic. I still wonder why a rendering for the Nashville building isn't on their website. Maybe the CityPaper was wrong and it's not the same architecture firm. No matter, it won't be too long before we can see the finished product with our own peepers . And thanks to the person who dug this thread from out of the dim and distant past since it contains the first post from Newtowner. Oh how very far we've all come.

Took me awhile to find the thread. The Hampton may not be too glamourous of a site, but its the next crane to come down and can bring some life to the far end of SoBro. The pic is great and does look like the Nashville building will be the same shell, although the one in the pic has that Creamy siding much like the Hilton Donwtown, but the brick being laid on the two sides of the building are a plain brownstone along with a tan brick. They have started laying the brick half way up the building on the third floor for some reason instead of floor number one. I'm no construction worker, but I thought you started from the ground and worked your way up.

That looks pretty nice. I can see, though, how the red brick could turn out looking really bad, but we'll have to wait to see. It looks, but the model, that the entrance will face downtown. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

And is that dot at 161 2nd Ave. South where the Crown will go? It will definately make the skyline look nice coming from the southwest, especially with the Encore included.

• 4 months later...

Grabbed a shot of the Hampton Inn while on lunch as well. It's pretty much complete from the outside, also complete or just about is the surface lot that was once the Craighead Machine Shop, or something like that. You see Encore in the background and if you notice on the third floor of the Hampton there are three guys. I have no clue who they are (probably new bigwigs for the Hotel) but I sat and watched them as they kept pointing out torwards the lots and empty buildings along fourth, fitth and I guess beyond as they kept pointing in the direction of the Gulch. They are probably hoping a much nicer view is on the horizon, currently it blows...

http://www.nashvillegrowth.com/devpics/hampton.JPG

I'm not really crazy about the Hampton branding with the curved cap and their logo is a bit dated, but all in all, I love this building. It looks so so SoBro and will fit its space very nicely when the fill gets underway in a big way. In most ways, it just looks like it really belongs there. Afterall, it's not big, but it's a rook in what will soon be an entire complicated chess board of structures.

The only problem at this time is they need a few more neighbors around them. I am sure by 2010 that problem will be solved.

I would also suspect that Tony G. or Central parking has to be looking at building some parking garages in the area as more and more surface lots are built upon. That will be needed very badly as many of the new spaces that are going in the DT area are going to be taken by all the new residents moving to DT and the fact that there will be a new CC and probably a new amphitheater built. Not to mention any East bank development.

This hotel is going to open about the right time and is a welcome addition to SOBRO.

Archived