Street Signs

jpl02

Since I'm studying in the transportation area of Urban Planning, I find street signs interesting and fun to talk about.

What do you think of Tallahassee's street signs? I like the fact that they include block numbers (South Florida has NONE like this). The styles are sometimes inconsistent though, and some just plain suck. At Crawfordville and Capital Circle, the signs themselves are normal size, but the font is so frickin tiny! I also notice that a lot of those new, back-lit street signs are being placed around town that are so en vogue these days. They're very bright, but don't have block numbers, and don't indicate street type (St, Dr, Blvd, etc). They'll just say "BLAIR STONE" and "MAHAN" for example.

I'd like to see downtown use some decorative street signs, perhaps with the city seal. Other places do this; I just think it's a nice touch.

I hope I'm not the only person who thinks about street signs and these kind of things :P

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not alone here buddy! I have a thing for street signs.

One correction however. South Florida does infact have street signs with block numbers on them. There are pictures here on Urban Planet to prove it... I'm only saying this now because if I do, Aessotariq (of Miami) will.

I've got a growing collection of street signs that I will be sharing soon.

How do you feel about the directional signage?

I like the idea of having city seal on signs... I've seen that in places and it is attractive. Maybe thats something we can start to implement in the downtown area and move out from there.

I'm from South Florida, Miramar to be exact. Dade has none like that I have seen (we have numbered streets), and Broward has none either. Palm Beach definitely does, but they're in another world :P. But I haven't been home since last Christmas and could be wrong.

I'd love to see your street signs. Do you happen to know what COT does with their old street signs they take down? I'd love to get my hand on a few...

The directional signage is neccessary, for Tallahassee, somewhat since we have very few numbered streets, and even then, they don't match the block number pattern. Where else could you be than Tally, to be at Monroe and 7th, but have a building number of 1500 ;) Plus, there are some residential streets that have directional signage, like in Killearn, where it'd be neccessary to add directional signage (i.e. Shamrock West, Bobbin Brook North).

I don't like the idea of having the City Logo on the sign; I think it clutters the sign. It might be useful down in South Florida where towns and cities run into one another, but here there is really only Tallahassee.

My perfect street sign would be a light box with big white lettering for street name (or names often in Tallahassee's case ;) ) and what it is and the block numbers in smaller lettering underneath.

I don't like the idea of having the City Logo on the sign; I think it clutters the sign. It might be useful down in South Florida where towns and cities run into one another, but here there is really only Tallahassee.

My perfect street sign would be a light box with big white lettering for street name (or names often in Tallahassee's case ;) ) and what it is and the block numbers in smaller lettering underneath.

Which would you choose:

(1)

MastArm.jpg

or

(2)

NewMastArmwithText.jpg

Archived