Cincinnati

NorthCoast

Even though I haven't lived in Cincinnati in over 15 years and was 6 when we moved I am still very fond of the area. I have lots of family who still reside there. I try to keep informed on what is going on in the area, especially downtown but my research and limited knowledge can only yield so much. It sounds like there is a lot of stuff going on right now development wise. I thought it would be a good idea for Cincinnati to have a thread of its own.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^Longfellow (the Stephen King or John Grisham of his day) called Cincinnati the "Queen of the West" and the name has stuck though it's no longer "west".

;)

The city has other knicknames also. One that comes to mind is "Porkopolis" reflecting upon the old days when the Pork market was huge and the literally use to shepherd hogs down the streets of town to the slaugherhouse.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting point, both cities are "in country" to a large extent, though Cincy is far to the west and over the colonial "great divide" it's position on the America's first interstate highway (otherwise known as the Ohio River) could make it as old as St. Louis or New Orleans also far far west outposts in the 1700's. Good question, maybe I should wiki this for reference.

regardless of whenever charlotte was founded... Cincy was one of America's largest cities for a long time... while Charlotte was an insignifncant backwater... 50 years ago it was about the size of Erie, Pennsylvania.

And 180 years ago it was the location of the nation's first gold rush and one of the largest cities in the USA at the time. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything though.

Charlotte does have a rich history, but I've never known it as a "city" until the post-war sunbelt boom (even then it was one of the last to the dance). Metro, I've heard about the Carolina/N. Georgia gold rush but never really heard of Charlotte being a GR town.

Here is a helpful link from the census:

http://www.census.gov/population/www/docum...n/twps0027.html

Cincinnati is on the list as early as 1810, Charlotte not until the 1940's, no mention of the southern Queen City being one of the largest cities in America during the Carolina gold rush.

Charlotte's gold rush population was 30,000 in 1820. That would put it #5 on the list however I am not sure how many people in the area who were here because of gold fever would be counted as city residents by the census.

So much gold was mined from Charlotte, the Philadelphia Mint opened a mint in Charlotte mint gold coins. The mint operated until 1861 when the Civil war started and the Confederacy took control of it. It was not re-opened after the war.

Charlotte was settled in the 1740s-1770s and the city was incorporated in 1768.

Anyway, we are way way off topic in this thread. I apoligise.

• 4 months later...

Why is Cincinnati called the Queen City.....that's Charlotte's nickname! :angry:

Good question..I live in Charlotte and went to school in Cincinnati (UC)..I never heard it called that while I lived there. Both are great places to live (Cincinnati was great, but cold weather forced me south)...Does anyone know why they call it the queen city, or when it started; please advise.

• 2 weeks later...

Good question..I live in Charlotte and went to school in Cincinnati (UC)..I never heard it called that while I lived there. Both are great places to live (Cincinnati was great, but cold weather forced me south)...Does anyone know why they call it the queen city, or when it started; please advise.

The Queen City knickname derives from Cincinnati being dubbed "The Queen City of the West" by the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow who wrote a brief poem about the town after receiving a bottle of wine from the vineyards of Nicholas Longworth(which stretched from Mount Adams to Alms Park), the city's first millionaire.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

okay so there's a lot about charlotte and but really nothing about how great cincinnati is ... why is that? im looking at the UC planning department in DAAP; I saw that the architecture program was ranked 3rd by Design Intelligence so I figured the planning dept cant be that bad either. Anyone know any specifics?

I've been doing a great deal of picture-viewing of cincinnati and it looks like my kind of town. A city with fully 4 seasons, nice downtown, planning to put in streetcars, lots of culture but not ginormous either.

Just came back from Cincy and it was cooold. Very nice architecture in Hyde Park and great restaurants. I found the people to be most friendly as well. I took some shots of the skyline and it was a nice change to see a city that takes advantage of density (ver nice infill) and isn't all about height. My favorite view is coming around the bend before the Ohio river on I-75. Out of nowhere, it hits you with the mix of lights and such, especially at night.

• 4 weeks later...

^^Interesting info metro, but your right we kind of got sidetracked on all that. Back to the interesting things happening in metro Cincy!

KWhatza? How can ya spend a couple years in Cincy and not hear Queen City once? They use it on the news, in the paper, and it's on at least 1/5 of the signs.

Before I had lived in Cincinnati, I had never been to a city with double and tri-level bridges like the Brent Spence Bridge and Western Avenue Viaduct. I was in awe at the steep hills of century old brownstones and flats. I quickly developed a liking to it's hold on the past, and how it so accurately shows how early American cities looked, i.e. Over-The-Rhine.

For those of you that don't know, Over-The-Rhine is a poverty stricken neighborhood that was originally settled by German immigrants. They called it OTR becuase it was across the Miami & Erie Canal from the city's center. In German, OTR can be translated to over the water.

Personally, I like the new Fort Washington Way corridor, and the confusing Ronald Regan/Innerstate 75 interchange. I was further intrigued by Cincinnati's lost subway that was wasted away after lost funds. It replaced, and filled the old Canal, but is now covered by Central Parkway. My favorite structure is Tower Place, my favorite neighborhood is Northside, and I always have to visit the Clifton area.

cincy.jpg

Archived