Selwyn Ave Projects

JunktionFET

I lived off of Tranquil Ave when I lived in Charlotte a few years ago. I remember a quiet small shopping center at the corner of Selwyn and Colony (next to Selwyn Ave Pub). It looked sort of dead. I remember a closed Kerr Drug there. However after a while there was some construction going on there--some visual improvements and such--I assume it was an effort to bring in new tenants.

Also I heard rumors that the Manor House was going to be demolished and that a similar little shopping center would be built there to match. It sounded as though the plan was to give Myers Park a little hub of commerce right there on both sides of Selwyn at the Colony Rd intersection. I have not seen the area since I moved and I was wondering what it looks like now, and if anyone knows the plan (if there even IS one).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a nice neighborhood and I once lived there a few streets over from Tranquil on Hassel Pl. I believe the shopping center you are referring to was built in the mid-80s to great fanfare as it was the location of the first Fresh Market and really the first health oriented grocery store in Charlotte.

Around that time a lady who owned a house on Selwyn when the city approved the zoing to allow those condos across from the Manor House, next to her house. She responded by building a 30ft high block wall on her property line between the two places. The wall became somewhat of a tourist attraction as it looked very odd, but the city eventually ruled it was unsafe and ordered her to tear it down. The dispute got settled when the developer of the condo bought her house and leveled it for a parking lot.

Back to your question, I have not been over there in a while, but this does seem to be a great area waiting to be discovered again. However I think retail investment here lives in the shadow of Park Rd Shopping center and the surrounding retail, the stuff on Montford Drive, and even the Southpark area. Property there has become expensive, yet most of the houses are fairly small, so I do predict a lot of teardowns there in the near future. Its a bit of a shame if they let it turn into McMansionville. It really was a great neighborhood to live in at one time.

Also I heard rumors that the Manor House was going to be demolished and that a similar little shopping center would be built there to match. It sounded as though the plan was to give Myers Park a little hub of commerce right there on both sides of Selwyn at the Colony Rd intersection. I have not seen the area since I moved and I was wondering what it looks like now, and if anyone knows the plan (if there even IS one).

Manor House has already been torn down. I think a mixed use office/retail building is planned there.

Down the street next to the gas station is a brick condo building, about 3 stories tall but still under construction.

hmmm, I might have pics, let me see.

Selwyn Corners... THATS the name of it. I can never remember that for some reason. The Manor House is like a Charlotte institution in some ways. It seems like a lot of people have either stayed there, or they know people that have.

That building is definitely new to me. Is that before the light at Runnymede/Woodlawn? I guess it would be because I think there's only one gas station on Selwyn :lol:

All I have to add about Selwyn is that the Selwyn Pup is AWESOME !!! My absolute favorite place to be on a Thursday evening. They are doing a ton of construction in the area. I agree with metro, I hope we do not lose the charm that Selwyn currently has, with a ton of tear down and Mcmansions. My thoughts are that we will just see in-fill condo development and mixed use projects. To me that is ok.

Another great enclave that is soon to be discovered again is Cotswold. Not quite the same as Selwn, but definately on the radar of developers.

A2

Another great enclave that is soon to be discovered again is Cotswold. Not quite the same as Selwn, but definately on the radar of developers.

I agree, once you get outside of Charlotte 4 it becomes another world entirely as it is mostly post war surburban development. Tract ranch houses on 1/4 acre lots. However I was amazed when houses in Sherwood Forest started selling for more than $200K a few years ago. Ironically this was the area that people fleed to when downtown started its decline in the 1960s.

Dunno if this is becoming topic stray, but I usually get the sense that the transition from "South Charlotte" to "East Charlotte" in area 4, is at the rail road tracks.

IE "East Charlotte" to me includes Monroe road, and land a little south of it.

Dunno if this is becoming topic stray, but I usually get the sense that the transition from "South Charlotte" to "East Charlotte" in area 4, is at the rail road tracks.

IE "East Charlotte" to me includes Monroe road, and land a little south of it.

Agree about the railroad tracks

• 1 month later...

Here's some pics of Selwyn Terrace which is just about complete on the outside. Its by The Blvd. Co., I like it.

12-14-05005.jpg

12-14-05009.jpg

Driveway goes under the building from Selwyn to a parking lot in the back.

12-14-05010.jpg

And here's what is left of the Manor House, I saw them taking soil samples the other day so hopefully this project will kick off soon.

12-14-05011.jpg

the redevelopment of the former Kerr drugs was huge. it replaced a blank brick wall and parking with a wonderful pedestrian friendly streetscape and streetfront shops. Its definitely a more urban atmosphere. On the other hand, the condos next to the gas station destroyed some beautiful 1940s homes. This is becoming a great walkable district for charlotte...too bad most cant afford to be a part of it...unless they rent there like i did a few years back!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Wait till the NIMBY's get their hands on this one. I hope I'm wrong, but I see some nastiness bubbling to the surface in Myers Park. This could really be a great project.

You weren't wrong. They've downsized the project and resubmitted :(. Luckily, it seems to have retained its tabletop parking deck, and much of its connectivity, but it is a shame to see it lose residential units/population density.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../29/story3.html

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-053.htm

• 1 month later...

The Manor House project got zoning approval yesterday! There was even a protest petition.

For what it's worth, Grubb Properties is heavily involved with this project, so I expect it to be above average, though the timeframe is probably 5-6 years until buildout.

I thought this was going to take up the entire block though along Selwyn. I bought my bike at that shop and use it for all my biking needs. So I a little disapointed because I thought it was going to be torn down?

So will this development reach Brandywine, or just on the Manor house property?

Speaking of Cotswold, what's the deal with the houses in Sherwood Forest? There are a lot on the market but few of them are moving. Seems like a nice neighborhood.

I agree with A2. I think some folks are trying to ride the Cotswold demand wave a little too hard. Some stuff is worth the price but most isn't. There's a good size flood zone in there that really does flood.

This is off topic and getting into real estate stuuf - BUT it's good to see the discussions spreading out from Uptown a little more. Costwold and others like it are the historic dustricts of future generations.

• 1 year later...

Archived