Simpsonville Developments

perrykat

Indeed, a movie theater, if not way overpriced as Greenville's, would be awesome.

Is Greenville's overpriced? It seems to me as though it is priced comparably to other movie theatres... although I only go to see movies about once or twice a year. So I'm not the best judge.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i noticed a bunch of rezoning signs on West Georgia Rd & Rocky Creek Rd the other day, I checked it out and seems a developer is trying to get 47 acres rezoned form Residential Suburban to Planned Development.....anybody know anything about this? :dontknow:

edit: nevermind...somemore digging and i have found that the development being planned consists of multifamily and single-family residences (attached and detached) , offices, neighborhood commercial, daycare and an express YMCA.

any thoughts....wish i could find some renderings....i may have to attend this meeting.

• 4 months later...

New mixed-use development on Harrison Bridge Rd. Two actually. Intersting to see how this will turn out. Especially if the developer gets to turn Hipps Rd. into a one way street. I go down Hipps off Harrison to get to Neely Ferry daily and think this will be a stupid idea, even though they just redone the intersection of Neely Ferry and Harrison Bridge.

Link to article from Tribune Times

New mixed-use development on Harrison Bridge Rd. Two actually. Intersting to see how this will turn out. Especially if the developer gets to turn Hipps Rd. into a one way street. I go down Hipps off Harrison to get to Neely Ferry daily and think this will be a stupid idea, even though they just redone the intersection of Neely Ferry and Harrison Bridge.

Link to article from Tribune Times

is this where the house and farm set across from Target?

• 8 months later...

About 15-20 acres have been clear cut at the intersection of W. Georgia Rd. and E. Standing Springs; well it's technically not an intersection since ESS doesn't go through, so where it dead ends. It appears to be commercial, but there's no signage whatsoever. That would be funny if it was commercial and/or mixed use and was finished before all of the stuff that's had people buzzing on all of the land next to and across the street from Bloom.

Pathetic is a strong/harsh word - would you care to elaborate?

Nobody wanted to see a great mixed-use community work more than them. For goodness sake, just to show how important the idea of mass transit was to them the first thing they installed there was a bus stop! Even before any houses. The economy just hit them really hard - nobody would have seen this coming for them.

I noticed that this weekend when we drove out to Griffin Park to look around. Speaking of over-hyped ... Griffin Park was pathetic.

How anybody can call a DPZ designed development that is to include over 1,600 homes and a town center pathetic is beyond me. :blink: I haven't been by the development in a few months. Is there something going on that i'm unaware of? Last time I checked, they were still building homes there.

How anybody can call a DPZ designed development that is to include over 1,600 homes and a town center pathetic is beyond me. :blink: I haven't been by the development in a few months. Is there something going on that i'm unaware of? Last time I checked, they were still building homes there.

I agree with Citylife on this one. Has something changed in the past year? I looked at a few homes and the site once they were a few months in and was quite impressed with the homes, the site plan, the pedestrian trails and the beautiful grassy park complete with park benches on the Reedy River.

I wouldn't use the word pathetic, but I woulds say GP is overrated. I'm feel very strongly about TND's and think that they're a scam. Developers know that they can prey on the fears/emotions of gullible homeowners who want to be trendy hipsters by being environmentally conscience. Somehow, that's come to mean, houses literally atop one another and lots smaller then the welcome mat on the front porch. And the best thing is the developer can charge and arm and a leg for it as long as the use words like "green" and "environmentally consciense" and "traditional neighborhood development". The irony is if you look at pictures of neighborhoods in the 30's, 40's and 50's, you'll notice that they all had quite substantial size lots. Nothing "traditional" about tnd's except that there have always been con men and always suckers.

Anyway, back on topic, what's going to be built at that big cleared lot? Looks pretty substantial.

Houses in city centers from the early-mid 1900's had substantial lots? Where? They sure don't have large lots in the Greenville CBD area. I decided to drive through Griffin Park this afternoon. Now I know why RestedTraveler used the term pathetic. Weeds growing left and right. No construction workers on any of the home sites what-so-ever. The swimming pool is finished but there is no water in it. The development appears to be at a standstill.

I'd use the word pathetic. Perhaps y'all have a different definition for that word than the one which was intended?

I've got nothing against TND's, per-se. I simply found the state of this particular development to be pitiful. If you've been out to Griffin Park recently, then you're aware that it's in a very sad way. There are homes where it looks as though construction halted months ago (and no signs of it resuming any time soon). There are homes where the nice new sod has been completely overrun with weeds. There are but a hand full of people actually living there. The swimming pool is sitting empty and un-used. And, yes, the bus stop was nice...maybe some day it will actually be put to use. There is a lot of potential there still, but the state of the economy has certainly left the place in pitiful shape.

I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but I really did expect to find that it'd be further along than it is. Verdmont, on the other hand, has turned out quite nicely...it's closer to things (shopping, interstate, etc.) which may help it, but there are even signs that the economy has hit hard there as well. Carilion is looking geat, too - I'm out by there fairly regularly. I've not been to O'Neil Village yet to see how it's shaping up, but I'm afraid to go after seeing Griffin Park. It's another development that's a ways out away from everything.

I like the idea behind Griffin Park, but don't think their philosophy works well way out in the 'burbs where it is located. It sounds great to hear words like "urban," "mixed use," and "lifestyle" used to describe a new housing development, but such developments do not justify the small lots or the high prices these builders are asking for the houses. I think most buyers realize this.

Most people (myself included) don't want to pay a higher price to live in the 'burbs, only to have a tiny lot. A dense neighborhood is expected (and even preferred) in an urban environment, but not 20 minutes from the metro area's urban core. And certainly not at a premium price.

Put this as an in-town neighborhood, and they would have a winner.

GP was intended to be a commercial node, as an effort for smart growth to avoid such travesties as Woodruff Rd. In that since it would have been an urban core for that area within the next 20 yrs. This is according to the county's growth plan. Part of the problem was that Fountain Inn kept on annexing down W Georgia Rd for commercial use undermining the original plan.

It's a shame that they've hit such hard times, because this was by far the best planned community that I've experienced in this area. And it is also a shame that so many of us here are skewed by short-sightedness. Yes, right now it feels like it's in the middle of nowhere, but in 20 yrs it's going to be one of those places that people can't believe it all used to be farmland. If we don't grow smart now, it will be disaster in the future. We all know of "those" kinds of places, and I'm sure we don't want that for Greenville anymore.

GP was intended to be a commercial node, as an effort for smart growth to avoid such travesties as Woodruff Rd. In that since it would have been an urban core for that area within the next 20 yrs. This is according to the county's growth plan. Part of the problem was that Fountain Inn kept on annexing down W Georgia Rd for commercial use undermining the original plan.

It's a shame that they've hit such hard times, because this was by far the best planned community that I've experienced in this area. And it is also a shame that so many of us here are skewed by short-sightedness. Yes, right now it feels like it's in the middle of nowhere, but in 20 yrs it's going to be one of those places that people can't believe it all used to be farmland. If we don't grow smart now, it will be disaster in the future. We all know of "those" kinds of places, and I'm sure we don't want that for Greenville anymore.

I am sorry to hear that it has stalled and is not being kept up. I would be pretty upset if I paid the kind of money they were asking and they were not keeping up the grounds. I agree that this was a good idea with a very long term view when designed. I was concerned that if it failed the future phases would get descoped or sold off and that would take away from the over all plan. The prices were way too high for the risk, although the finishes of the homes are top-notch. They also should have included more open spaces and intramural fields considering the lot sizes they were offering. I've seen similar projects in other parts of the country take similar risks of creating urban-nodes in what seems like the middle of nowhere (the city of Reston, VA comes to mind) to be wildly successful in the long term. I hope they can still pull it off.

• 3 weeks later...

If it does ever see the light of day, which I doubt, I will not go there. It will be my own silent protest because they never followed thru with the Greenville one.

Simpsonville is still a "Greenville" location. It's in the metro, and just a few miles from where the other one was going to be. I don't see what the big deal is. And if we should be mad at anyone, wouldn't it be the Hollywood 20 for not following through?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The YMCA is buying the defunct LivNsidNout facility AND will be adding an "extensive" aquatic facility. As is, the building is over 60,000 sq. ft. It will replace the current Golden Strip Y.

With the the new Westside Aquatic facility, the Kroc Center, and now the new Y facility, could Greenville become a swimming mecca, in the same way it is has with cycling?

More info on the LivNsidNout takeover. GHS will be partnering with the Y and paying 'naming rights' at $100k for 10 years. The name will be 'GHS Family YMCA'. The closing is in about 10 days and work on the Aquatic Center will start soon after. Completion is expected in 4-7 months.

BOTH the existing Golden Strip Y AND the Simpsonville GHS Life Center will transition/merge into the LivNsidNout facility.

Archived