Charlotte Nightlife

Mobuchu

The best beer list in town is hands down Flying Saucer but I wouldn't recommend going there. It's all the way up in the University Area and why come to Charlotte to drink in a suburban strip mall anyway. Mellow Mushrooms all have a good beer selection and there is one close in at NODA on 36th if you chose that.

If you plan on hitting Mellow Mushroom in NoDa, you'd better do it quickly. A friend of mine that has a gallery there told me that MM is shutting down soon and the house will go up for auction. That's too bad, but then again, it's hard for that immediate area to support that big a restaurant... on anything other than a Gallery Crawl night, that is.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that is amazing about the Mellow Mushroom, they spent a mint and more than a year on rennovating, might as well say rebuilding, that old house. Its a shame that all of the eclectic eateries are disappearing from Noda.

I was under the impression the Mellow Mushroom got some kind of economic incentive from the city to build that place in the first place, but I guess it wasn't enough in the long run to make it work.

Getting back to the Nightlife topic, there is always The Scorpio that offers real unique entertainment and it has been operating there since 1978 which would make it one of the oldest clubs of its type on the East coast.

Plaza Midwood is a great neighborhood for "grit". Its popular because its dominated by native businesses which are essential for preserving local flavor and unique nightlife. Charlotte has so much potential but as in most newer cities gentrification often leads to sterile chains taking over everything. Plaza Midwood has a good chance of thriving and maintaining its image because of the strong loyalty the neighborhood has towards their business district. However the whole area is going to be encircled by new condo developments occupied by people that chain stores will want to be located near. Elizabeth Avenue also has a great future if a balance can be struck between locals such as nofo and skcafe and hopefully a future Whole Foods etc. Its a fine line.

That is awful about MM. With them closing in Dilworth, I've gotten my pizza from NoDa a number of times. :(. Hopefully something new wil take over and be a draw for the area.

Forum is pretty good club if you can get in. On nicer days they open up the roof, and it is quite a place with Heart above you and the arena in sight.

Getting back to the Nightlife topic, there is always The Scorpio that offers real unique entertainment and it has been operating there since 1978 which would make it one of the oldest clubs of its type on the East coast.

been to the scorpio far too many times, thanx for the suggestion, its one of my favourite places

That is awful about MM. With them closing in Dilworth, I've gotten my pizza from NoDa a number of times. :(. Hopefully something new wil take over and be a draw for the area.

Forum is pretty good club if you can get in. On nicer days they open up the roof, and it is quite a place with Heart above you and the arena in sight.

open up the roof????? whats that about? explain, I have never heard of Forum, what kind of place is it

It is behind Cosmos by 7th Street Station on 6th Street. It is in the spot where Mythos used to be. They added a deck on the roof with a bar.

The few times I've been there, I've been too far gone to give any meaningful observations about the place. There is almost always a very long line though, so it is pretty popular.

?????????????????????

charlotte has GREAT nightlife, last year when i was living in spartanburg i was always making trips to charlotte to see great djs spin every weekend. Not to mention tutto mondo's, velocity, eden (formerly sky), scorpios. On the electronic dance music front, charlotte has alot to offer.

check out all the events going on for yourself... http://www.spins.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=...bb5a09c41582549

I think the Milestone is probably still a great place. It's been a while since I've been there. My last visit was to see a friend from college who was in a band called (no, I'm not making this up) Confederate f ag. They were sort of a glam punk band. Their logo was pretty funny...a pink triangle with the stars and bars. And no, they're not homophobes.

It is behind Cosmos by 7th Street Station on 6th Street. It is in the spot where Mythos used to be. They added a deck on the roof with a bar.

The few times I've been there, I've been too far gone to give any meaningful observations about the place. There is almost always a very long line though, so it is pretty popular.

Even after I moved down here to Orlando I would occasionally check out Mythos web site just to see what DJs they were pulling in and when I saw the announcement that it was closing I nearly cried. That was my absolute favorite spot uptown. I later found out from a friend that it was just being remodeled and opening with a new name. That venue is one of the better dance clubs between Atlanta and DC that I have been to IMHO.

Quite a few years ago there was a place over on Stonewall. At the time I went it identified itself by the address and the club was called 300 Stonewall. I'm sure it had several names since then. Is there anything still there? That building wasn't the most spacious, but it certainly had one of the most unique layouts. Two rooftop patios with awesome views of the skyline and a balcony overlooking the entrance.

While I'm reminiscing, is there anything in the old Liquid Lounge location? And am I imagining this or did there used to be a club or lounge in uptown called Aqua?

If I remember right, there were some date rapes at Aqua, on N College, and it shut down. The location is Coyote Ugly.

I think 300 Stonewall is currently "Crush".

Liquid Lounge is still open.

Mythos is now Forum. I never went to Mythos, but from what I heard of it, Forum isn't quite the same. You may want to check out whether good DJs go there now.

thanks you guys for your help in planning the evening we ate at bentleys it was amazing, (and expensive) and had an amazing evening which I am still recovering from, you should have seen the hole that was burned in my wallet, I am down to like a quarter or something, anyways thanx again.

thanks you guys for your help in planning the evening we ate at bentleys it was amazing, (and expensive) and had an amazing evening which I am still recovering from, you should have seen the hole that was burned in my wallet, I am down to like a quarter or something, anyways thanx again.

LOL, I told you not to eat there unless your friends were paying :D

Cant beat those window tables though.

Anyone been to the Attic, above Brick and Barrel? I read that it is replacing The Front Door. Funny thing is, I don't even remember the opening of The Front Door, except for a contest they were running to design their logo. I was still waiting for their opening announcement, and lo and behold, they're already closed?

• 2 weeks later...

I know we were talking about rock clubs earlier on this thread. It looks like the church that housed The Steeple Lounge is coming back as a new rock club called "The Goblin". However, on there website they said they would be booking Goth Bands. Goth is cheesy, I hope that isn't true and that they book a spectrum of good rock bands. We'll see, it opens this month. The Goblin Club

^The Steeple was guilty of the goth thing too. They had lots of bad bands ("bad" as in musically uninclined"), period. I am glad its reopening, though. Cool space for a bar.

By the way, has anyone been to the new Perch on Central?

I had the distinct feeling that I was going to burn and go straight to Hell when I went there. I know that that is extreme, but the last time I was there, I saw two topless women spinning some records and the crowd did not seem like they were into traditional "Praise and Worship" that once bounced off the walls of the church. :P

A2

Anyone been to the Attic, above Brick and Barrel? I read that it is replacing The Front Door. Funny thing is, I don't even remember the opening of The Front Door, except for a contest they were running to design their logo. I was still waiting for their opening announcement, and lo and behold, they're already closed?

I went for the first time last week. It was decent, but nothing to write home about. I did like the Urban Porch with a nice view of the streetscape below.

A2

Archived