Charlotte Nightlife

Mobuchu

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes indeedy. Thomas Street, along with Tudo Mundo's and Dixie's Tavern. Both of which are possibly in jeopardy of loing their License to serve alchohol. That is a shame since all of these venues were decent places to have a beer.

A2

My guess is if the ALE found them illegally serving booze with illegal drugs and staff walking around with the firepower to protect it, then most likely they don't have a liquor license anymore. A bar without a license is like a fish out of water. i.e. It won't last long. I can't believe they were so stupid.

^^^Yeah really, it had a great atmosphere and always seemed to do good business, I cant believe they would jepordize that. It was even better during the warm months with the back patio.

It worries me because TS tavern was like the center piece of the nightlife for PM. Most of the other bars and restaurants around it are small and cant handle 100 people a night that just want to have a couple drinks. These people may migrate over to Jackalopes, and Philo. Stone on 7th street instead.

^^^Yeah really, it had a great atmosphere and always seemed to do good business, I cant believe they would jepordize that. It was even better during the warm months with the back patio.

It worries me because TS tavern was like the center piece of the nightlife for PM. Most of the other bars and restaurants around it are small and cant handle 100 people a night that just want to have a couple drinks. These people may migrate over to Jackalopes, and Philo. Stone on 7th street instead.

They likely won't shut down any of the bars that were just serving alcohol, but they could either get thier permits to serve taken for a period and/or a hefty fine. Thomas Street might be in a mess though. That is the bad news (and really bad, I love that place and it is the heart of the nightlife right now in that area), but the good news is the building likely won't be closed for long. Those permits and licenses are carried by the business and the owners and are not "attached" to the property so it would be very likely that someone would reopen there if TST closed.

I'm curious if they had their doors open. Every restaurant and bar I ever worked in closed and locked the doors at the end of the night and the employees and a handful of friends would hang out and have a few drinks -- 3am is happy hour for bar employees.

I never worked there, but good thing ALE never dropped into Fat City after hours...

Apparently these raids were the results of "tips" and not patrols. Could of been disgruntled ex-employees or competitors. Dixie's and Tutto's will most likely get a slap on the wrist but it sure does sound like a mess at The Tavern. I could understand if one gun with a permit was kept in the bar. Charlotte has it's fair share of armed robberies and maybe bars keep guns for self defense? Is that legal in North Carolina? But a couple of guns,coke, and pot casually lying around TST is an entirely different story.

I wonder who is responsible for what? After hours drinking is nothing new at bars around charlotte, but is still against the law. This would be slapped on the owner right away.

An employee with drugs, and a gun concealed on his person may not be punishable to the owner of the bar? Anyone know?

edit: i read the link wrong, there was no underage drinking, but there were people drinking that were not employed by the bar.

I have heard the ABC Board can revoke a license if illegal activity is taking place in a drinking establishment even if the owner was not aware of it, especially if illegal drugs and guns are involved. Years ago I knew someone who owned a rather large Gay dance club in Charlotte and the liquor license was like a gold mine for them. A bottle of booze is an extremely profitable investment when it is sold out one shot at a time. The owner of that bar would go nuclear when one of the boys stripped off all their clothes to dance either in underware or naked and would quickly move to throw them out. Such displays are illegal in NC and they were afraid there were undercover ALE agents in the place that would take note and cause them to lose their license.

Archived