Charlotte Nightlife

Mobuchu

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to be completely off subject, but seriously A2, I missed you dude, its great to have another great mind back on UP, sorry for that tho, but seriously great to see you back

It's great to be back RF21 !

A2

It's obvious the board is dominated by Charlotteans. I just came back from Charlotte for a couple of days and I can honestly say, Charlotte has one of worst night scenes in the south! My wife and I were thinking we were going to tear it up in NC's biggest city, and what do we find? Intense boredom. Everything is ultra corporate and disneyesque thoughout the whole downtown area. After we left the the arena to catch a game, there wasn't a person insight!!! I rag on my city alot, but Queen city's nightlife can't even compare to Raleigh's presently.

What's so ironic is that I was under the impresion that Charlotte had it going on (yeah with skycrapers). Outside of that absolutely nothing, but family venues. Not that there is something wrong with that, but man where is it popping? Charlotte has lost definately fell off. I think the city has lost it's spirit amongst all of the corporate mumbo gumbo. Everything was either closed or empty. Trust me we rode around for about 2 hours. Nothing!

Charlotteans stop being dishonest and biased. Admit it Charlotte has no nightlife. I'm so upset right now, because of the bland time I had it's ridiculous. Charlotte is for families, not party goers. Don't be fooled!

On top of that there is an obvious sense of elitism in this town. Raleigh has the same issues, but anywhere other than upperclass is a complete dump. Also what's up with the parallel parking downtown. Is it a sin?

I hear people on here comparing Charlotte to more desirable large cities such as ATL, MIA, Houston, Tampa, even Nashville. Charlotte is not even in the same galaxy as those towns. I think Charlotte grew too fast from being a Greensboro type town, so they don't have any sense of character, or creativity. Central Charlotte reminds me of Cary. Fictitious!!!!!!

I hear people on here comparing Charlotte to more desirable large cities such as ATL, MIA, Houston, Tampa, even Nashville. Charlotte is not even in the same galaxy as those towns. I think Charlotte grew too fast from being a Greensboro type town, so they don't have any sense of character, or creativity. Central Charlotte reminds me of Cary. Fictitious!!!!!!

Having been a Charlottean for 40+ years, I normally try to defend any negative remarks made by outsiders. But, Raleighsfinest you hit the nail on the head.

Charlotte did grow up too fast. There is no character, nor is there an identity (except for a few pretty skyscrapers). City officials have been struggling with this for decades. People create the identity of great cities but our uptight city officials are too afraid to try anything new or different. They want to copy other cities successful ideas.

OK, I am past my bar, nightlife days. Back in the 80's though I really never had a problem with finding my niche. There was The Roxy, The Treehouse, Boardwalk Billy's, all the places that offered what I liked. A great place to party with friends and hear live bands.

I know there are plenty of places like that still in Charlotte, they just aren't all in downtown. Naturally, a visitor not familiar with this city doesn't know where to go for nightlife so they assume it's all going to be downtown. Not true at all.

It's pretty much a weekend city. Compared to just 5 years ago, nightlife in downtown has exploded. A recent drive through the streets one weekend I saw long lines of people waiting to get into clubs like Liquid Lounge, and a few others (can't remember the names). I was impressed but even myself wouldn't go as far as comparing Charlotte to Atlanta, Houston or Tampa. Of course, I wouldn't walk alone at night in those cities downtowns either like I would in Charlotte.

Regardless, Raleighsfinest has valid points. Charlotte is an ultra conservative city with pretty skyscrapers and lots of beautiful old oak trees. It's a great family town. But, it has nothing to draw in tourism except (IMO) Paramount's Carowinds, and possibly the new NASCAR HoF. There are quite a few things to do like the IMAX at Discovery Place, ImaginON, Panthers & Bobcats games but these are mainly for the locals.

Charlotte will probably go through the majority of this century without an identity. We just exist. And in all fairness, that suits a lot of people just fine. Some call it the south's best kept secret. Personally, I wouldn't go that far but I have seen that phrase used in magazines.

Just curious Raleighsfinest. Did you do any internet research on Charlotte nightlife before your visit? To be honest, I visited Seattle once without doing my research and found it rather hard to find exciting things to do outside the typical Pikes, Space Needle, etc tourist attractions. And we all know there's a LOT more to do in Seattle than there ever will be in Charlotte. And I work with a lady who moved here about 6 years ago from Seattle who claims they love it here (for many different reasons) more than Seattle.

So, to each his own. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for, what you expect, and what you get when you come to podunk Charlotte.....

It's obvious the board is dominated by Charlotteans. I just came back from Charlotte for a couple of days and I can honestly say, Charlotte has one of worst night scenes in the south! My wife and I were thinking we were going to tear it up in NC's biggest city, and what do we find? Intense boredom. Everything is ultra corporate and disneyesque thoughout the whole downtown area. After we left the the arena to catch a game, there wasn't a person insight!!! I rag on my city alot, but Queen city's nightlife can't even compare to Raleigh's presently.

What's so ironic is that I was under the impresion that Charlotte had it going on (yeah with skycrapers). Outside of that absolutely nothing, but family venues. Not that there is something wrong with that, but man where is it popping? Charlotte has lost definately fell off. I think the city has lost it's spirit amongst all of the corporate mumbo gumbo. Everything was either closed or empty. Trust me we rode around for about 2 hours. Nothing!

?

Central Charlotte reminds me of Cary. Fictitious!!!!!!

What planet are you from man?? You are totally off base. I don't even know if I believe your coments. You did not mention ONE place that you went.

For your information all the bars that I frequent do not close till 2 in mid week (some later. ie private venues like Madisons)

What family venues are you refering too??? Please explain, and I want names.

I sincerely hope your negativity is not contagious.

Charlotte is NOT a NYC or LA, but it is alive at night. Every night I go Uptown I am greeted with thousands of people in area restraunts and bars.

I go Uptown at least two time a week since I work Uptown. Many of the nights I go out are Monday's and Tuesday's & many of the venues are STANDING ROOM ONLY, even in the middle of the week !!!

Phils, M&S bar, etc etc

I really have a hard time believing your comments concerning Charlotte since you metioned you DROVE around for hours.

First off when you go to the arena and leave, you don't drive around, You walk. There are over 150 restraunts and bars within a 1/2 mile radius of the Arena. Yes, I said over 150....

Did you even venture down 5th street???

Did you take a peek on College???

or perhaps a stroll down Tryon up towards the square???

There are venues to salsa dance, places to sip fine wines, and tons of places to just dring a beer and watch a game. Fox and the Hound is three levels of a sports lovers pardase with decent food and TVs everywhere the eye tunrs. IT IS PACKED EVERY NIGHT

This is not a scene as cosmo as South Beach in Miami, but it is certainly not dead.

If it were so dead than why do thousands seek out the inner loop to live??

Most pay big bucks. Currently as it stands we are being flooded with new arrivals filling towers built, u/c , or in the planning stages to accomodate the growth.

Let me tell you, I would certainly not be spending the bucks to live in these places if it were a dull and boring place to live and work.

BTW, Johnson an Whales is busting out at the seams due to its expolding student population with plans for a business school and even more students signing up to come. We are talking 1'000's of young culinary students.

Not to mention UNCC will have a firm presence in its new facility ushering in even more youth.

I think you pessimism is rooted in jealousy and frustration with something other that Charlotte. The whole idea that you drove around for hours just seems moronic since everything to do in Uptown is within walking distance or a short cab ride.

I for one will not tout the city as boring, but rather evolving.

In just 5-7 years you will have no reason to make any comment remotely close to the ones you have just made.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I have to call you out on your comments since it is obvious that there are people out there that just simply don't put it the way it is.

A2

Based on what I have seen of cities and Charlotte I think the criticism is undeserved too. Charlotte is the only major city in the Carolinas that does not completely die after business hours. In fact the streets as mentioned above are quite lively. And even in suburban locales, one can go to Birkdale Village and find it packed at night with every restaurant there having a wait list for people to get in.

In my bar hopping days, I tended to go to the more "interesting" places that you don't exactly find in the yellow pages. There were plenty of them around in the late 80s and early 90s and I suspect they still exist today. There is a reason they call them underground clubs as the NCDOT does not put up signs for them. It really does pay to do some research before coming to a city if you want to be entertained by more than chain outfits.

Based on what I have seen of cities and Charlotte I think the criticism is undeserved too. Charlotte is the only major city in the Carolinas that does not completely die after business hours. In fact the streets as mentioned above are quite lively. And even in suburban locales, one can go to Birkdale Village and find it packed at night with every restaurant there having a wait list for people to get in.

In my bar hopping days, I tended to go to the more "interesting" places that you don't exactly find in the yellow pages. There were plenty of them around in the late 80s and early 90s and I suspect they still exist today. There is a reason they call them underground clubs as the NCDOT does not put up signs for them. It really does pay to do some research before coming to a city if you want to be entertained by more than chain outfits.

I could not agree more metro. If outside of Uptown you have plenty of lively urban enclaves to choose from.

Midtown, NoDa, East Blvd, Southend, Montford, The Plaza and Central, the list goes on and on.

Dare I say.....Southpark. (JK)

A2

Raleigh'sfinest, it sounds like your trip was during weekdays, right? Even though there might be some stuff going on, I don't even A2 would claim that uptown is teaming with nightlife on weekdays. Hopefully you aren't comparing an early weekday night here with a weekend night in other cities. You should come back for a weekend :).

On week ends, there is a lot of nightlife in Plaza-Midwood, Uptown, SouthEnd, the lake area, Park Road, and I'm sure a few other hotspots for bars and clubs. Your description just doesn't mesh with what most of us experience every weekend, and some weekends a little TOO much. :) I hope you are able to make a trip during the weekend to observe a slightly different reality than you described.

I'd say "stroll traffic" in Charlotte at night is healthy, but it isn't yet in the league of sixth street in Austin, or Old Town Pasadena.

But there's more to come... EpiCenter, the HOF, the Music Factory, with Light Rail connecting a high density corridor to the center city.... the change in the next 5 years may be dramatic.

Based on what I have seen of cities and Charlotte I think the criticism is undeserved too. Charlotte is the only major city in the Carolinas that does not completely die after business hours.

I think I'd have to take exception with this statement. Greenville's Main Street district is bustling well into the night, as well as downtown Charleston. Columbia also does well in this regard with the Vista and Five Points.

Charlotte's nighttime activity doesn't really pick up substantially until Thursday nights. Mondays through Wednesdays are so-so.

Having been a Charlottean for 40+ years, I normally try to defend any negative remarks made by outsiders. But, Raleighsfinest you hit the nail on the head.

Charlotte did grow up too fast. There is no character, nor is there an identity (except for a few pretty skyscrapers). City officials have been struggling with this for decades. People create the identity of great cities but our uptight city officials are too afraid to try anything new or different. They want to copy other cities successful ideas.

OK, I am past my bar, nightlife days. Back in the 80's though I really never had a problem with finding my niche. There was The Roxy, The Treehouse, Boardwalk Billy's, all the places that offered what I liked. A great place to party with friends and hear live bands.

I know there are plenty of places like that still in Charlotte, they just aren't all in downtown. Naturally, a visitor not familiar with this city doesn't know where to go for nightlife so they assume it's all going to be downtown. Not true at all.

It's pretty much a weekend city. Compared to just 5 years ago, nightlife in downtown has exploded. A recent drive through the streets one weekend I saw long lines of people waiting to get into clubs like Liquid Lounge, and a few others (can't remember the names). I was impressed but even myself wouldn't go as far as comparing Charlotte to Atlanta, Houston or Tampa. Of course, I wouldn't walk alone at night in those cities downtowns either like I would in Charlotte.

Regardless, Raleighsfinest has valid points. Charlotte is an ultra conservative city with pretty skyscrapers and lots of beautiful old oak trees. It's a great family town. But, it has nothing to draw in tourism except (IMO) Paramount's Carowinds, and possibly the new NASCAR HoF. There are quite a few things to do like the IMAX at Discovery Place, ImaginON, Panthers & Bobcats games but these are mainly for the locals.

Charlotte will probably go through the majority of this century without an identity. We just exist. And in all fairness, that suits a lot of people just fine. Some call it the south's best kept secret. Personally, I wouldn't go that far but I have seen that phrase used in magazines.

Just curious Raleighsfinest. Did you do any internet research on Charlotte nightlife before your visit? To be honest, I visited Seattle once without doing my research and found it rather hard to find exciting things to do outside the typical Pikes, Space Needle, etc tourist attractions. And we all know there's a LOT more to do in Seattle than there ever will be in Charlotte. And I work with a lady who moved here about 6 years ago from Seattle who claims they love it here (for many different reasons) more than Seattle.

So, to each his own. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for, what you expect, and what you get when you come to podunk Charlotte.....

You're kidding right? Houston's downtown has become one massive entertainment district. With the theater district on one side (all of the fine performing arts, plus a new performance hall, Sarofim center, that I've never been in), a former convention center turned into a multi venue performance hall, movie house, and restaurant collection, bordered by Main street with dozens of bars clubs and restaurants along it and all the side streets. The other side of Main has 2 big league sports venues and the humungous Brown convention center and all the hotels around that area, this downtown is one contiguous feast of activity. I walk it at night and so do women and people who live in the high rise apartments and lofts. The light rail plies down the middle of Main street too. You should be careful what you say about locales of which you apparently know not much.

You should be careful what you say about locales of which you apparently know not much.

Apparently Houston's crime rate has changed since when I lived there in '89-'90. Glad to hear it's such a safe haven in downtown now. When I lived there, you took your life in your hands if you walked around down there after dark.

Again, this is funny! I lived in DC for years but during the early parts of the week, it was tough finding a spot to my liking (hell, most people have to work!..unless your're a Kennedy)....even downtown LA is tough. I truly wish that Charlotte people stop defending themselves against these people who claim this city or that city is ALL THAT!!! because they are clowning......

I live in Raleigh/Durham! A great place! But to to claim you traveled around a city for 2 hours (Charlotte) and could not find a spot......RIDICULOUS (I can find a spot in Bug Tussle if push comes to shove) What were you lookin for?...whips and chains with a little bondage action....damn, I digress.

I was in Columbia last week for work. We went down to Five Points,etc (Tuesday & Wednesday), had a decent time for my expectatations (drinks....talking SH*T) but I'm sure a native could've pointed me in the RIGHT direction...nothing special.

I'm a little older, so my experiences are unlimited (if you want it, you can find it damn near any where). You don't need an URBAN block to tell you....if so, you've got a lot to learn.

^ From personal experience, houston downtown is nowhere for a woman to be. My girlfriend was in houston on business, and decided to check out the downtown area from her hotel. She hadn't walked 2 blocks when she was singled out by thugs and harassed. Luckily she was able to RUN (taking her heels off) away before anything could happen, but this was IN DAYLIGHT. Needless to say, I was not happy about the whole situation. Unfortunately, this directly affects my image of houston.

Granted, she was a woman walking alone (which is rarely safe anywhere), but this happened in broad daylight and she actually had to run for her safey. scary!

What were you lookin for?...whips and chains with a little bondage action....damn, I digress.

Actually you can find whips and chains on monday nights, but like you said, you have to ask locals or pick up a damn creative loafing to find out about it....

And I'm not really one for being defensive but damn, drove around for 2 hours and couldn't find anything to do? I wouldn't say there are packed clubs with well known DJ's during the week, but there are plenty of places to check out a live band or drink a few with a bunch of locals till 2am.

What I mean by driving around for two hours is that, even though there were a number of places open, they were also empty. It just irritates me with the hype that is put behind charlotte. Chapel Hill is more interesting IMO. If you take away the pretty skyscrapers in Charlotte what are you left with? Let it marinate. You can't make me think disney Charlotte is some cool, character filled, community, because in IMO it's not. Bureaucratic bs is stealing the soul of central Charlotte. I hear alot of you on hear say the good stuff isn't downtown or concentrated in central areas. Why not?

I rode down college st, southend, providence,etc. There is nothing special for a city that "claims" to be 650,000. Think about that number. That puts Charlotte in the same league as the big boys so to say. Yet and still Charlotte feels alot smaller. Maybe that's because the place is 300 sq miles I guess.

Charlotte is a wonderful place for family entertainment. Raleigh can't touch that, but for young and single life good time, for someone that's not a CEO. :sick: That's my opinion. Charlotte has the potential and drive. I can attest to that, but I think they need to let more things flow naturally.

Also: Independance makes capital look sqeaky clean.

Oh yeah after seeing Charlotte, imma lighten up on Raleigh.

:sick: That's my opinion.

Your opinion is noted. A lot of people here disagree with it.

If you are happier in a 49,000 person town, Chapel Hill than a 650,000 person city (its 246 sq miles) then so be it, but I am confused then when you say that you are unhappy with Charlotte because it feels small. Aside from one street in Chapel Hill there is absolutely no urban feel to the place and that is full of college students that add little to the actual community since they are gone in 4 years. The combination of Caroboro and Chapel Hill are nice, but they are small towns, and at best would amount to little more than neighborhoods in Charlotte. I find the events that take place in Noda to be just as interesting as those in Chapel Hill, but I assume you did not make it there. (an Noda is just one example)

A lot of your post sounds like sour grapes especially the comments about the skyscrapers. Downtown Charlotte has it's issues but I will say again there is no major city in the Carolinas that has as many people in downtown outside of business hours as Charlotte. They are not even close. And there is no city in the Carolinas that is actually building, though a communitiy wide effort, a decent mass transit system which will make the place even more urban. Certainly not Chapel Hill which wasn't even part of the TTA's failed plan to bring transit to the Triangle. Somehow you missed all that construction during your drive as well.

BTW on your earlier comment about there being a lot of Charlotte forumers here, well that is probably because this forum was started and is operated by Charlotteans. We wanted a place to discuss the amazing changes in this city (both good and bad) without taking on senseless pot shots from people whose motivations are questionable especially when the comments amount to little more than bashing. You are free to your opinion, but I would recommend that you review our rules again. Since we started this forum a lot of other regions of the USA have joined our party here for the same reason.

Just because my opinion conflicts with yours does not mean you should make snide remarks towards me. We have to agree to disagree. Charlotte is not all what it is hyped up to be IMO. Sorry you can't change my mind. Iv'e been to many different cities and Charlotte "IMO" is far from being the most entertaining. The thread is about Charlotte gripes isn't it?

I love Charlotte's drive, but where it's driving to in certain areas, scares me. To me central Charlotte is becoming over-gentrified. I never said I don't like Charlotte. It's the hype that is getting out of control and becoming misleading.

Archived