Charlotte Nightlife

Mobuchu

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hype i'm referring to. Is the hype that takes place on urban planet. It obvious. I shouldn't have to explain in detail. Charlotte is nice place and all, but it's not a DC or Miami. Sheesh! Charlotte reminds me of a bigger Greensboro with a really impressive skyline and theres nothing really wrong with that. I just wish all of the comparisons to more urban and entertaining cities could be toned down.

I've been to Charlotte numerous times, but it has all been for family occasions. When i went back to really party there just wasn't much for a city it's size. A beautiful skyline can't make parties. Having a couple of drinks in an empty bar isn't all that entertaining. It's amazing people on here are trying to tell me what I saw with my own two eyes. I even went off of the hype that this board proposes about having an awesome nightlife. I guess I went with the bar set too high.

Fine if you don't have specifics, then I assume there really are not any. And if you choose to ignore the number of people here, including myself who have been to bars where it is packed with wall to wall people that is your choice. You have made your point that you don't like Charlotte so I assume you have scurried back to Raleigh where the bars are bursting with people and life is good. If you are happy there that is all that matters.

However without discussing specifics, your comparisons of Charlotte to disney land, and an oversized Greensboro are just bashing and I am telling you now to stop it as an administrator on this board. They don't serve any purpose except to piss people off then I, Dubone, and the rest of the staff have to clean up the mess. You have made it clear in no uncertain terms your feelings on CLT and it's not necessary to go further given that you don't or can't discuss anything specific, nor will listen to anything that others have said in response to your issues. We welcome criticism that is specific, but we are not going to deal with what appears to me to be a Raleigh person with an axe to grind against Charlotte.

You're choosing to believe what you want to believe now, because I never said i don't like Charlotte. I like it, but there is alot of unessesary hype, that mislead me. I had the choice of driving to DC or Charlotte. I chose the latter and didn't get my little time off fullfilled. I know if I went to DC, that a non-stop good time would have been guaranteed.

I don't have an axe to grind with Charlotte. I'm very unbiased. I just call it how I see it. Just because I don't see it your way doesn't give you a right threaten me. You're taking this whole Charlotte thing personal. Heck I call how I see it in Raleigh or anyplace else. Also Charlotte downtown does remind me of disney or a movie set. You can't get mad because that's how I feel. People up here call Raleigh boring, Sprawleigh, snobby all the time. Do I take offense. No. That's their opinion.

I tried Charlotte out, because of the comments made on this board, and I left a bit disapointed. I'm sorry.

I love DC too but keep in mind that a comparison of a 1.5M metro to a 8.5 million metro is about as senseless as a comparison of Charlotte to Chapel Hill. None of these three places is going to resemble each other and nobody here, except you expect them to.

As I said before your opinion is noted. Sorry it did not meet your expectations. However that is not the fault of anyone on this board and since you don't care to listen to what any of us have to say in response to your posts, then this particular conversation is at an end. I hope you understand that part.

I'll admit his wisecrack got a smirk from me. When I lived in CA, the quickest way to rankle people in the central valley towns was to say "Fresno is just a bigger version of Bakersfield" or "Sacramento is just a bigger version of Modesto".

Well, to some degree that will be true among cities that share topography and history. IE all the central valley towns were built along the railroads as agricultural centers. Sacramento got the capital but was still called "The Big Tomato".

Anyway, there are some differences. Charlotte doesn't have anything like Greensboro's South Elm Street within walking distance of it's downtown. South Elm isn't an exciting nightlife place, but if you like some "grit" and genuine old junk shops and bookstores, it's fine. And it feels "real".

That's probably what the Raleighite is really getting at. Charlotte sometimes, is like the nerd with money.... that wants to be admired and will buy a fancy guitar and takes lessons, but can't just get loose and gel with street musicians.

Personally, I think it's a phase in our growth. My understanding of CA history, is there was a time in the 1870s and 1880s when CA was very self-doubting of itself as a new state, with the gold rush over... and kept using its wealth to buy art and architecture. Established cities snubbed the "new" and "unproven" towns of San Francsico and LA.

It takes time, for the enthusiasm of one generation's "boosters" to settle in, and become part of the fabric and reputation of a place.

One thing that can be said about Charlotte is that it seems to collectively end up where it wants to. The city wanted suburban sprawl and removal of inner city Brooklyn in the 1960's, and they sure got it. These aren't prideful choices now, but the cogniscenti made them happen.

If our current generation of city leaders are serious about improving connectivity, density, mass transit, and bringing entertainment and vibrancy to uptown, etc. - then these things probably are going to be "willed into being".

What's so ironic is that I was under the impresion that Charlotte had it going on (yeah with skycrapers). Outside of that absolutely nothing, but family venues. Not that there is something wrong with that, but man where is it popping? Charlotte has lost definately fell off. I think the city has lost it's spirit amongst all of the corporate mumbo gumbo. Everything was either closed or empty. Trust me we rode around for about 2 hours. Nothing!

Charlotteans stop being dishonest and biased. Admit it Charlotte has no nightlife. I'm so upset right now, because of the bland time I had it's ridiculous. Charlotte is for families, not party goers. Don't be fooled!

I hear people on here comparing Charlotte to more desirable large cities such as ATL, MIA, Houston, Tampa, even Nashville. Charlotte is not even in the same galaxy as those towns. Central Charlotte reminds me of Cary. Fictitious!!!!!!

I did a little experimenting today since it was such a beautiful day. I went Uptown in what would be the deadest part of the week for ANY city:

Sunday Afternoon.

Upon driving through Elizabeth and Plaza Midwood to check out some potential houses, I went through Midtown and eventually drove straight down Trade to the heart of Uptown.

Do want to know what I found???

1) Hundreds lining Tryon on streedside cafes. Most were at or near capacity.

2) Families enjoying the weather and many gathered around the Omnimax and Discovery place to check out the Dead Sea Scrolls

3) Two couples enjoying a stroll on a Horse Drawn Carriage down Tryon for what looked to be a guided tour

4) Woman and Men of varying ages running down Church towards 4th ward.

5) Going down Trade towards Gateway and J&W I noticed even more activity with students and walkers enjoying an afternoon walkaround the complex of eateries that line Trade and 5th.

6) Many people with digital cameras walking around the WB complex actively taking shots of various buildings and streetscapes

Then on to South End...

All I can say is ACTIVITY ACTIVITY ACTIVITY!

Many people enjoying a curb side meal and shake at Pike's Soda shop.

Others enjoying the design district. Maybe to buy or perhaps just gaze into the windows.

Then on my way back home I noticed what looked to be a Hell's Angel Reunion :P at the Motorcycle bar on South called Mack's (I think that it is the name of it)

By the way all of this is on a Sunday afternoon. NOT after a Big Game or even after a Thursday night concert. It was SUNDAY !!!

ALl I am tryin to point to is that boring and dead are words that used to describe the Center city. That is no longer the case. This activity will only get better as thousands seek homes in and around Center City.

Especially when major retail hits Uptown. (which IMO is less than 18 months away from being announced)

I truly hope you get an opportunity to come back and let Charlotte shine. I think if you give it a shot you will see that the comments you are making are les than accurate. I have been to Raleigh many times and try to stay positive regarding my experien and time their. As a matter of fact I have actally had many good times in RDU.

One main reason is because of all of the college students who drive a great deal of the entertainment.

I could go as far as saying that I have had more fun in a town of lesst han 50K in its city pop than in one where their were over 18M.

I am speaking of where I went to school at the Univewrsity of Alabama. I had more fun and got into more trouble on Unversity Blvd in T-Town (Tuscaloosa,AL) that I ever did in NYC. But, to say that NYC is boring just based off of the times I went is senseless. ;)

Do you see what I am getting at???

A2

I wish I saw all of those thousands of people when I went there, but I got darn near nothing. There might be people packing some of the places DT on some of the weekends, but I also noticed that almost everything was for the corporate types. One of the things I will say is that Charlotte has a wide array of fine dining. Going to Charlotte for family trips is always fun, but I was left disapointed by the nightlife, for a city that size. Hampton Roads is far more advanced than Charlotte when it comes to nightlife IMO. I'll give Charlotte about another 5-8 years to see how far they advanced. Maybe then they'll realize that the middle class and the wild love to have good time at night too. It not just me. There are alot of people outside of this board who feels that Charlotte does not live up to all of the hype. It's not an insult. Just opinions. People pick on my hometown all time, but most people love Cap city, just like Charlotte.

There also was another thing that ticked me off. I got scammed by one of the worst hotels i've ever had the displeasure of visiting. The Blake!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone alse ever visited this dump? They tried to scam me with false amenities, pics, and service, but I got those crooks to refund my money. ;)

When I lived in Charlotte in the early 90's, downtown (or uptown) Charlotte was dead at night, and people had a bad perception of it (nothing to do, small, etc.). I must say that when I went back to Charlotte for my high school reunion, I was impressed with all the activity uptown at night. Of course, it was a Saturday night, but still it felt totally different than when I lived there.

I think the general consensus among my friends that still like to go out, is that Charlotte has a good nightlife and is a good city in general.

I tend to agree.

RF, the criticism about being for corporate types is probably very true. If that was a primary source of dissatisfaction with the local nightlife, then that makes a lot of sense. Charlotte, especially downtown, is dominated by corporate types because our city doesn't really have a large college downtown. There are spots with a more diverse crowd, but no doubt they are not very obvious from near the arena, the heart of the business district.

I do think you would have been happier with the nightlife if you had come on a weekend, but it sounds like you would be happier going out in Plaza-Midwood or maybe a few other hotspots for nightlife that don't have the dominance of business people.

All I know is that I was out in Charlotte Saturday night - a rare occasion for me these days - and the place was jamming with people everywhere. I got roped into going "clubbing" at Forum and the place was totally mobbed. Nightlife here is anything but dead.

I wish I saw all of those thousands of people when I went there, but I got darn near nothing. There might be people packing some of the places DT on some of the weekends, but I also noticed that almost everything was for the corporate types. One of the things I will say is that Charlotte has a wide array of fine dining. Going to Charlotte for family trips is always fun, but I was left disapointed by the nightlife, for a city that size. Hampton Roads is far more advanced than Charlotte when it comes to nightlife IMO. I'll give Charlotte about another 5-8 years to see how far they advanced. Maybe then they'll realize that the middle class and the wild love to have good time at night too. It not just me. There are alot of people outside of this board who feels that Charlotte does not live up to all of the hype. It's not an insult. Just opinions. People pick on my hometown all time, but most people love Cap city, just like Charlotte.

There also was another thing that ticked me off. I got scammed by one of the worst hotels i've ever had the displeasure of visiting. The Blake!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone alse ever visited this dump? They tried to scam me with false amenities, pics, and service, but I got those crooks to refund my money. ;)

Maybe youre looking for a 'college type crowd' instead of the DT crowd.....you should've drove around the University City area.....but still, you cant really judge a place just by visiting it a few times....I've been to NYC twice and both times weren't really that impressive to me because #1 we were doing the same thing you were doing iN CLT....driving around aimlessly lost trying to find a club that fitted us.....you have to go online and research, just like you research for school, and find the type of venues that fit you. Whether it's Salsa, Rock, Techno/House, Gay, International/Hookah Lounge, Hip-Hop...there is alot to offer in CLT. Go on the right night with the right people and you will definately have a great time I guarantee you! CLT definately brings waaaay more DJ's that are well-known worldwide than any other place in the Carolinas. I think that is a big deal

Maybe youre looking for a 'college type crowd' instead of the DT crowd.....you should've drove around the University City area.....but still, you cant really judge a place just by visiting it a few times....I've been to NYC twice and both times weren't really that impressive to me because #1 we were doing the same thing you were doing iN CLT....driving around aimlessly lost trying to find a club that fitted us.....you have to go online and research, just like you research for school, and find the type of venues that fit you. Whether it's Salsa, Rock, Techno/House, Gay, International/Hookah Lounge, Hip-Hop...there is alot to offer in CLT. Go on the right night with the right people and you will definately have a great time I guarantee you! CLT definately brings waaaay more DJ's that are well-known worldwide than any other place in the Carolinas. I think that is a big deal

UNC Charlotte was on spring break during that time as well.

Interesting about the Blake....you probably know more about it than any one of us.

It was formerly the Adam's Mark, and was recently bought by some billionaire out of NYC, who has ownership in the Sears Tower and a bunch of swank Miami hotels. The hotel operator, runs a bunch of high-end hotels in Manhattan, and they recently took over the Adam's Mark, changing the name to The Blake.

I believe that they are trying to keep the hotel open while they convert it to a more upscale place. I take it they aren't very far along, or they just aren't that good of an operator.

I'm curious of what all was wrong with The Blake, and if there was anything good about it....

I've never had to find stuff to do, or research when it came to NYC, or any other, real big city. What i'm saying is, why does it have to be a school research project to find some fun? All I have to do in little old Raleigh is park and go for it. I understand Charlotte not having the best nightlife, but IMO it certainly does not live up to hype for a city it's size.

People have posted many pictures from various cities in the Carolinas, and even the smaller ones like Columbia, Ashville, and Myrtle beach seem to have more going on IMO, than Charlotte. Which to me seems kinda sad, but I know Queen City will get the point eventually. Nobody in the three states of NC,SC, and VA can touch the skyline in Charlotte though. It's extremely impressive. I hope they change their elitist thinking DT though.

I've never had to find stuff to do, or research when it came to NYC, or any other, real big city. What i'm saying is, why does it have to be a school research project to find some fun? All I have to do in little old Raleigh is park and go for it. I understand Charlotte not having the best nightlife, but IMO it certainly does not live up to hype for a city it's size.

People have posted many pictures from various cities in the Carolinas, and even the smaller ones like Columbia, Ashville, and Myrtle beach seem to have more going on IMO, than Charlotte. Which to me seems kinda sad, but I know Queen City will get the point eventually. Nobody in the three states of NC,SC, and VA can touch the skyline in Charlotte though. It's extremely impressive. I hope they change their elitist thinking DT though.

You have yet to explain what you mean by hype. Nobody here has hyped up Charlotte and you are going to get the most honest answers about this city here than anywhere else that I know of. If you are upset with people hyping up Charlotte outside of this forum then I suggest that you address it with them. We have already been through this many times and you keep posting the same exact crap without listening to anyone.

So stop trolling which is what you are doing at this point.

Try going to Stonecrest on Saturday night. Good luck if you can find a parking place.

Went to the movies at Stonecrest Saturday night with my wife, the place was packed.

This is about 15 miles from uptown, so the is life out in the burbs.

There are about 650,000 people in Charlotte, not all can fit into uptown, so go other places, and if you don't know where they are, then you may get a feeling there is not much to do here.

I could say the same thing about Raleigh if I only went downtown. You have to know where to go in Raleigh to have a nice time.

I go to Raleigh a lot because I have family there. I do know there are some nice places in Raleigh to go, but you need to know where they are.

You have yet to explain what you mean by hype. Nobody here has hyped up Charlotte and you are going to get the most honest answers about this city here than anywhere else that I know of. If you are upset with people hyping up Charlotte outside of this forum then I suggest that you address it with them. We have already been through this many times and you keep posting the same exact crap without listening to anyone.

So stop trolling which is what you are doing at this point.

What? You act as if i'm talking about your mother or something. I'm simply talking about my experience in Charlotte last week. Which is "my" experience, not yours.

I don't know what the problem is? Here's the definition for hype:

hype1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hp) Slang

n.

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: “It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job” (Saturday Review).

3. An advertising or promotional ploy: “Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as ‘Restaurant City, U.S.A.’” (New York).

4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: “ [He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies” (Joel Oppenheimer).

You act as if i'm up here being dishonest. For what purpose? I have a life thank you. People on this same board are calling Charlotte boring and corporate...... Why are you singleing me out?

You act like I said Charlotte was bad. No. I just spoke on "my" experience. I would appreciate it if you would stop taking cheap shots at me and being rude. Thanks. Follow the rules. :)

P.S. Speaking on a less than satisfying experience" in Charlotte is not bashing.

Try going to Stonecrest on Saturday night. Good luck if you can find a parking place.

Went to the movies at Stonecrest Saturday night with my wife, the place was packed.

This is about 15 miles from uptown, so the is life out in the burbs.

There are about 650,000 people in Charlotte, not all can fit into uptown, so go other places, and if you don't know where they are, then you may get a feeling there is not much to do here.

I could say the same thing about Raleigh if I only went downtown. You have to know where to go in Raleigh to have a nice time.

I go to Raleigh a lot because I have family there. I do know there are some nice places in Raleigh to go, but you need to know where they are.

I guess the layout is just different. Usually when I travel to cities everything or a cluster of it, is downtown. I asked a couple of folks though, what's popping. They just said "Oh there is alot to do and Charlotte is growing.....", but they never told me any specific places. I went to a couple of restaurants that were for the professional crowd, but the food was excellent!!!!! The Charlotte nightlife might not be all that to me, but I will definately be going back to checkout some more games, and restaurants. I don't care redneckish or not, but I want check out a nascar race. I love racing.

What's up with Eastland mall though? Scary!

I guess the layout is just different. Usually when I travel to cities everything or a cluster of it, is downtown. I asked a couple of folks though, what's popping. They just said "Oh there is alot to do and Charlotte is growing.....", but they never told me any specific places. I went to a couple of restaurants that were for the professional crowd, but the food was excellent!!!!! The Charlotte nightlife might not be all that to me, but I will definately be going back to checkout some more games, and restaurants. I don't care redneckish or not, but I want check out a nascar race. I love racing.

What's up with Eastland mall though? Scary!

first of all, it's hard to give you pointers about charlotte b/c you still have yet to tell what kind of scene you were looking for or what clubs you went to while here. IMO charlottes best entertainment is found below the surface (i.e. not uptown).

charlotte has satisfied almost all of my criteria for having a good time, and when it doesn't i head to places like asheville, chapel hill, columbia... etc. it's hard for charlotteans not to get defensive when they know that the opposite of what you say is true. you may not have found the playground you wanted as you were burning through the city, but your assessment is only based off of a quick, unplanned visit, in which the details of your trip haven't even been disclosed. sorry that things weren't poppin' and you feel like you wasted time.

People on this same board are calling Charlotte boring and corporate...... Why are you singleing me out?

Probably because you're forming an opinion based on a quick drive down Providence Rd. on a weeknight.

Which do you think is more likely to be true: 1) The largest city in North Carolina and one of the largest in the South East has absolutely zero "night life" and everyone who lives here has been brainwashed into lying about the town in order to maintain the facade, or 2) you didn't know where to look when you drove through?

I was in Charlotte for "three" days! I also never said it didn't have any nightlife, it's just not what it's hyped up to be, that's all. I rode around two nights looking and my wife and I, just decided to go to restaurants. When I go to ATL it's like a big party. The same can be said for DC,Philly, and NYC. I don't have to google my way through town. If I don't find your city appealing for a large variety of nightlife tough luck. I'm just sick of all the snide comments and immature behavior. It's like a luxury car, no matter how appealing, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Man. If you want to recommend some "real" nice spots please do, if not, stay off my case!

Charlotte is not the center of the universe. Some posters were actually saying that this city has more growth potential in the next couple decades than anywhere else in the south. That's biased and unfounded. One guy even went as far as saying the city will grow by 300,000 in 4 years. lol Some people take the city pride a little too far. What are we gang members claiming turf? Relax.

Archived