Florida | Government Buildings

Florida

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good find. I had not seen the paper until just now and I thought the article was quite informative. I think the idea of holding onto the Bloxham and Holland buildings is a good one for the state. It could possibly relocate some of the state employees currently occupying the property it plans to sell the city to those buildings. Of course I still think the state could benifit from a remodel of some of its facilities.

Holland Building

DSCF2560.jpg

Holland Building (Reminds me of Surpreme Court Building)

• 1 year later...

Capital Circle Office Center Expansion

bccccaerial2go5.jpg

Third expansion of the Capital Circle Office Center for the Department of Revenue. Project scope shall include off-campus infrastructure improvements to an existing Central Energy Plant with associated chilled-water distribution system, possible off site road improvements, total on site development and one two-story specialized call center building including interior improvements. The intended campus is located on a 48-acre parcel (Parcel 2 and currently undeveloped) on the west side of Capital Circle SE directly west of the present Capital Circle Office Center. The anticipated development is approximately 500,000 gross sq. ft. The anticipated schedule has construction commencing during the summer of 2007 and continuing through 2008. Buildings/campus must meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification requirements.

Some questions:

1) Is this the last expansion out there?

2) What, if any buildings are going away as these Depts move out to this area?

3) Is this a different setup (ie arch, etc) than what they have out there? The picture does look like the parking is a bit much, but they ones that exist out there now look fine.

Those vast expanses of parking lots is a grave disappoint to me and the zeitgeist of the Southwood development.

I understand most of these workers won't be living there and must use their car, but consider this: Southwood could have better utilized its parking by having it shared. For example: parking for the office buildings could also be used for the businesses in the town center. The parking would be used during the day when businesses don't usually get a lot of customers, and in the evening the parking would be freed up to those businesses since most everyone leaves work at 5:00. Of course, this would necessitate the location of the offices immediately adjacent to the retail, but you get my point.

This principle (shared parking) is actually one that I have come across many times in reading about how to make successful transit-oriented developments, which are all too similar to New Urbanism developments and vicariously, Southwood.

Re: "The latest war on terror victim: beauty" (Gerald Ensley, Oct. 21).

Nope, not a soliloquy on the young people dying in the phony war on terror, but an homage to the soon-gone big old oaks in front of the Old Capitol.

The trees will be felled in favor of "concrete security bollards to be erected across the front of the building."

Now, it is prudent and correct to take proactive and/or reactive terrorism counteraction. That is, if there is a credible threat based upon reliable intelligence. Absent reliable evidence that the Capitol is actually targeted by a group with a potential to execute a credible attack, these plans are foolhardy.

It is absurd to cut down trees to counter a threat that does not exist. Since the phony war on terror is an absurdity, I guess it is logical to cut down 200-year-old oak trees; somehow, it smacks of tilting at windmills. If there is a threat, a spike barrier would be sufficient, and it would not be obtrusive.

Taking this to its logical endpoint, why not bring the 124th Infantry of the Florida National Guard into active duty and emplace them in bunkers around the Capitol Complex amongst the azaleas? God knows they have enough experience doing this in Baghdad. Good for Iraq; better for Tallahassee.

As with the constant barrage from the media and entertainment outlets, the purpose seems to keep the citizens in a continual state of free-floating anxiety. As fear has become the watchword, it somehow makes what the U.S. is doing in the Middle East relevant. We are keeping them occupied with fresh meat over there, so they cannot hop the bollards over here.

JIM HRUSKA

jim@rangeragainstwar

I thought this was interesting.

I found that interesting too when I read it the other day (Gerald's column more than this Letter).....interesting and over-kill IMHO. Surely there could be some compromise where both the Capitol is protected from a "terrorist attack" and these trees could remain and be doctored back to good health. I think if the powers that be worked on it a little more, both goals could be accomplished.

I found that interesting too when I read it the other day (Gerald's column more than this Letter).....interesting and over-kill IMHO. Surely there could be some compromise where both the Capitol is protected from a "terrorist attack" and these trees could remain and be doctored back to good health. I think if the powers that be worked on it a little more, both goals could be accomplished.

Just in, the trees infront of the Capitol will not be coming down according to FDLE's Legislative Affairs Director.

And I think he meant now that there isnt a member of the Bush family in Tallahassee, there is nothing to gain by an attack on Tallahassee. I dont think he meant it as a dig at Jeb. Could be wrong though.

Archived