Florida | Government Buildings

Florida

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man I would think they could benefit a little from having a parking deck instead of 12 billion square feet of tarmac. Good to see its a go anyways. Where are they getting the employees to staff this building from? Is there some other State office building there are closing?

• 3 weeks later...

State jobs on rise again

December 30, 2007

TALLAHASSEE - Gov. Charlie Crist has ended an eight-year decline in state employment, but the average salaries of workers in Florida's government agencies and their rate of pay raises lag behind money most might make in the private sector.

In a departure from ex-Gov. Jeb Bush's personnel policies, the state's year-end Annual Workforce Report explodes two widely held beliefs of the Republican-run Legislature -that state government is a bloated bureaucracy and that its operating costs are disproportionately burdensome for Florida taxpayers.

Crist's administration quietly reinstated two measurements that Bush had deleted from the annual personnel report, ranking Florida third from the bottom in its ratio of state employees, per capita, and dead last in cost of personnel per taxpayer.

Besides slumping salaries, the state also short-changes its staff on training, said Linda South, head of the Department of Management Services. DMS is required to compile the annual compendium of facts and figures on state personnel.

"To me, that is a credible threat to the ongoing operation of state government," she said. "If we are not competitive in our salaries, we won't be able to attract and retain the kind of people we need."

Source: The News Press

Rubio wants 'agency eliminations'; state Sen. Lawson calls idea 'insane'

By Bill Cotterell

FLORIDA CAPITAL BUREAU POLITICAL EDITOR

House Speaker Marco Rubio said Wednesday he will push for "agency eliminations" in the 2008 legislative session.

But Senate President Ken Pruitt was cool to the idea and Sen. Al Lawson, who has represented Tallahassee in the Legislature for 26 years, called it "insane."

Rubio said that to deal with severe revenue shortfalls, caused by Florida's real-estate slump and other recessionary economic trends, state lawmakers should prune the size and scope of state government

I think they could definitely could get rid of a lot of positions within state agencies...if you want to see the definition of government waste in person, you could walk into an agency and see it. Its not necessarily the employees fault because I know sometimes theres just not enough work to be done, but that also means that there may not be a serious need for a lot of positions.

I think good people in high places would create an enviroment of successful state goverment. Too many times have i seen absolute idiots in charge (H.I.I.C. as I like to call them). If our state governemnt was the best in the contry, and folks were wondering around all day in workless pursuit of a paycheck, then i could see us cutting some jobs, and pricatizing our agencies. But, the more permanent, though more difficult solution, may come from reworking the place properly. There must be a markup for privatizing. And people who are afraid of losing thier job, and are graded on thier performance, perform better. Maybe spreading everyone around town was a bad idea. Like an empire, spread beyond the eyes of the emperor. Re-centralize is my solution. Its where our city (the head of the state) is at.

You and I see it the same. I favor centralizing our Government within the city's downtown also (BIG SURPRISE!!!). I think the quarter of the downtown where the Government buildings are located would be awesome if more bodies were in those buildings. I'd love to see more of a bustling downtown with both private and public sector at work.

I think the Turlington could use a sister.... I noticed today how out of everwhere that poor building is. It would do alot for our DT to have some kinda of connecting development. Directly accross gaines would be a great lot for alot of organized parking facilities beneath a decent rise State building. Imagine getting off work and walking to a DTGetdown, and soon, a show at the PAC... But i guess that would go against what the SW lobbyist have spent over a decade moving...

But then again, DT Infrastructure... The one ways with three lanes are nice. But we need a liited access option so people who chose to worka nd spend dt can without endagering thier life among the commuters throughfares.

I think the Turlington could use a sister.... I noticed today how out of everwhere that poor building is. It would do alot for our DT to have some kinda of connecting development. Directly accross gaines would be a great lot for alot of organized parking facilities beneath a decent rise State building. Imagine getting off work and walking to a DTGetdown, and soon, a show at the PAC... But i guess that would go against what the SW lobbyist have spent over a decade moving...

But then again, DT Infrastructure... The one ways with three lanes are nice. But we need a liited access option so people who chose to worka nd spend dt can without endagering thier life among the commuters throughfares.

• 1 month later...

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} February 24, 2008

It looks like our state capitol is getting a much needed protective barrier around it. Unlike many protective barriers I've seen around town, such as at the National Guarg Armory building, this one appears tasteful. Installation is partially complete on the custom project, here's a look at what we've got so far.

Looking North:

february24048sb5.jpg

Looking South:

february24049ub2.jpg

Protecting This:

february24047uj7.jpg

Archived