Florida | Government Buildings

Florida

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I share your sentiments with regards to the design of the modern capitol building.

Look at these capitol buildings to compare:

Lincoln, NE

lincoln-ne.jpg

Baton Rouge, LA

27162846_5cdc755ce7.jpg

Bismark, ND

Capital640.jpg

Tallahassee, FL

IMG_7955.jpg

I can honestly say, this is one comparison I like to make. Our capitol is beautiful to me, especially when compared with our nation's 3 other tower capitol buildings.

Lincoln's isn't showing up FL, but I think I'd take either of those others over ours....they aren't quite as err...phallic as our capital with its symmetric rounded domes on either side. :blink:

Really, I just don't think the new capital is very attractive at all. :dontknow:

I maintain the feeling that ours is among one of the most beautiful buildings in the nation. The only difference between ours and the others, well at least two of them, is that their capitol building (Louisiana, Nebraska) has a roof ornament/dome. I feel like we need one of those, one similar to Mobile's signature building, and there's a good chance you'll hear me tell you about writing our governor about it soon.

I can't believe you'd take North Dakota's building over ours.

The difference between their, err, high rises and ours, is that it doesn't have two, err, domes on either side that everyone comments on. When we have partners from our firm come in from out of town, they make fun of our Capitol all the time. Kind of embarrassing.

Also, writing the Governor regarding the ornament on top will bear no fruit. He doesn't control that. IF (and its a big IF, because doing anything like that would be hugely irresponsible since we're in a 2 billion dollar budget deficit right now, and I would lobby very hard against you haha) you were to write anyone, you would want to start at DMS.

GG, I like that our capital has some balls! Makes ol Florida look mighty masculine! Ours should probably have some more detail in the facing of the structure to detract from the dominance of the domes. Let them make fun, deep down inside they are just insecure because theirs doesn't measure up!

Writing the Governor would simply plant a seed in the mind of someone with some heavy influence. I wouldn't expect any changes to occur over night even if we were running a $2 Billion surplus. Just an idea to throw out there! :P

I admire that you're keeping a positive attitude about it. But the building is ugly. Having a place of business that looks like male organs is not cool, and it certainly doesnt make us seem masculine. I mean, some parts of the inside of the Capitol are nice, but a lot of it is outdated.

But if you did write the Gov, Im sure he'd promise you he'd do it, if you promise you'll vote for him! ;)

GG, I like that our capital has some balls! Makes ol Florida look mighty masculine! Ours should probably have some more detail in the facing of the structure to detract from the dominance of the domes. Let them make fun, deep down inside they are just insecure because theirs doesn't measure up!

Writing the Governor would simply plant a seed in the mind of someone with some heavy influence. I wouldn't expect any changes to occur over night even if we were running a $2 Billion surplus. Just an idea to throw out there! :P

Uhh I guess I'll handle this one.....erm personally I don't think our capitol blends with a spire. Its too sudden. I think most spires are organic shapes that flow. Maybe without the setback for the obsevation deck it would look better. Perhaps it could have a new observation deck in the spire itself. That would look pretty good.

Archived