Cosmo 418

vdogg

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The City of Norfolk owns one of the parking lots for their building on the corner of Monticello and Freemason. The private building next to the other parking lot owns that one. Given the scarcity and cost of parking in downtown I would be surprised if the private building would want to sell their parking lot.

You know, we keep talking about infill buildings on the parking lots, wouldn't it be cool if they did something different and unique like an open air market with vendors, a place for people to play music, etc. Just a nice place to chill and maybe grab something to eat? I think that would be pretty cool.Granby St. is dense enough in my opinion. I'd rather have a couple more buildings built on Monticello first.. Granby is the only street downtown that has heavy foot traffic during the day, we need more activity on Monticello.

That really depends on the owner, often times an owner will hold onto a parking lot in prime real estate to either hold out for more money or to leave it till they pass on so that their children can have the land...up in Spokane, that is the case with some prime real estate parking lots downtown...such a shame that they just sit as parking lots for so long.

For some reason I beleive the Cosmo 418 lot was sold to the city. Not sure if it happened. Anyway, the city eventually plans to move their employees out of the adjacent building (Granby & Freemason) and then raze the building for redevelopment given it's an entire city corner lot. The building currently houses many of the city's utility workers (among others) and they happen to be among the highest paid city workers. It was part of an original plan to move worker's into downtown and improve the economic engine on Granby. They are still years away but that is the plan...

Archived