Cosmo 418

vdogg

Did you mean 2 buildings? I don't see why the windows would need to be small if they were between 2 open parking lots. The way I looked at the aerial, it appeared that the land was indeed between 2 buildings. :huh:

This is from the article:

"The vacant property, wedged between two parking lots, is in the 400 block of Granby Street in Norfolk."

If you look at the orange block in the pic, I think that is it, period. The building would be built with a tiny lot on either side. The windows might be small because I am sure that the lots will not be parking lots forever... maybe if the first one is a success, the developer will build two more to compliment it...

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cosmo418locationaerial.jpg

The yellow wedge is between 2 buildings in this pic. Are you referring to the small amount of empty space on either side of this yellow block as being parking lots? Are these indeed parking lots? Does anyone have any ground level pics of this property?

Yes the yellow (it's orange on my computer though) wedge or block or whatever it is sits between two tiny parking lots. Just wide enough for cars to park at an angle. If you look at how small the cars are to the right then you can put it into better perspective I think.

If you look closely at the rendering you can see that there are gaps between it and the other buildings on either side.

What I'm hoping is that this building will become such an icon that people will start demanding better architecture in this area. This could really set the bar.

I am so thoroughly impressed with Norfolk right now. When Cosmo is built it will definitely set a standard and make a huge statement. When stunning architecture like this rises from the dirt height can take a back seat in my book.

They may not turn it down, but they might ask to modify some things like the did to Granby Tower.

I don't think anything will be modified and it also sounded like he has plans to do some more projects just like this one, interesting. I wonder if he is seeing if this will work or not before he tries a couple more.

They may not turn it down, but they might ask to modify some things like the did to Granby Tower.

That is one of my biggest points of contention with planning depts is when they start meddling too much with design. I too am concerned they might mess this up and we'll go from visually stunning to bland. I really hope the city realizes what a gem they'll have in this project and let it go through with little or no modification.

That is one of my biggest points of contention with planning depts is when they start meddling too much with design. I too am concerned they might mess this up and we'll go from visually stunning to bland. I really hope the city realizes what a gem they'll have in this project and let it go through with little or no modification.

Most of the meddling I think has to do with setting some kind of standards. If we let people build as they want we might end up with some pretty ugly buildings. Plus I think alot of it has to do with saftey and such

Plus we don't hear the entire reason why it was changed. We just see the change or see renderings that maybe has some faults to them and we don't see some of the other projects going on that might conflict with each other so they ask for some modifications.

Finally, a building that looks like those popping up in every major metro downtown. Not that I want Norfolk to be cookie-cutter, but I don't want it to be bland either. With the Art Deco Granby Tower and whatever the architectural theme of Cosmo 418 is, developers are moving away from inexpensive facades and are actually spending on artistic value. That only means Norfolk is worth it. Planning Dept., please don't mess it up.

What I'm hoping is that this building will become such an icon that people will start demanding better architecture in this area. This could really set the bar.

Its got kind of a nice scandanavian flare to it, but it would be cooler if they had actually integrated the architectual accents into the support structure for the building, rather than as add-ons. I'm no architect, but I thought someone said the property is only 16ft of wide and if that's the case, then those are going to be some very narrow condos? Also those little windows aren't going to offering much of a view... The balconies may be a bit different however, its nice to see them incorporate those into the design and I should think more condos in the area would utilize them. I guess in this particular case they were really needed to to offset having such small windows with limited views.

I don't see how this building can be that narrow and that tall and still be structurally safe. It looks like it would fall over if the the wind ever jit it from the side at more that 20 miles per hour.

The buildings on either side of it should help negate some of the effects of that wind.

I don't see how this building can be that narrow and that tall and still be structurally safe. It looks like it would fall over if the the wind ever jit it from the side at more that 20 miles per hour.

Considering that wind in cities creates a swirling pattern, none of these buildings take a dead on wind force. It would be another story if this thing was built out in the middle of an open field.

Archived