Gulch and Roundabout Development Progress

With all the talk of d'town retail have you guys keyed into the new arrivals in the gulch and the roundabout. My wife just let me know about these boutiques (If they have been mentioned before sorry)

http://therapyclothing.com/

Studio 615 at 1522 Demonbreun

This got me thinking of the scads of restaurants and bars opened or opening in the Gulch

Judge Beans

12th and Porter

Bar 23

Ru San

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been to the Level 88 jazz club, but saw it the other day. Pretty snazzy looking place. It's tucked away on 9th just outside the Gulch near the Mercy Lounge and Cannery Row. I don't know much about it, but it looks like a ton of cash was invested.

I keep looking at the old Universal Tire at 12th and Demonbreun (called something else now) and wondering about the Plaza of the Arts 14-story or however tall they mentioned for the site. With the opening of the new bridge next year (or so) and the increased accessibility of that intersection, I see this actually happening sometime. I would hope the other properties will develop as well. It would be a great sightline development to bookend the new towers at the south end of the Gulch.

I did a little snooping and I manged to find some information concerning Plaza of the Arts. Here it is:

Plaza of the Arts

THis is from a Feb. 9th Article from the City Paper:

Southeast Venture LLC is piecing together its proposed Plaza of the Arts on 2.9 acres of land owned by the Pickel and Derryberry Family Partnership and located at 12th Avenue and Demonbreun Street. "Definition-wise, we are in the Gulch, and we feel like we're a gateway to the Gulch," said Jimmy Pickel, a broker with Southeast.The plan for the plaza, which has MDHA approval, calls for up to 300,000 square feet of office space, a suite-type hotel, and about 80,000 square feet of high-density residential space.

"We've had excellent activity with some developers interested in the property and some users. Our job now is to put the pieces of the puzzle together," Pickel said.

"There are tremendous things happening. It is truly becoming an 'avenue of the arts,'" Pickel said of the development along Demonbreun from the Schermerhorn Symphony Center to the Roundabout and Music Row area. "We're very enthused."

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed last night that the old adult bookstore at the southwest corner of 12th and Division is once again an adult bookstore--all light up in purple. This is certainly not the way to connect the Roundabout and the Gulch. I would think that the people at Bristol and Crossland would have to be raising an eyebrow at this. Not that this isn't a free country and not that people won't live next to such a building, but boy it sure looks like potential developers didn't act quick enough in this instance.

Here is another article from the NBJ about the Plaza of the Arts. I knew I had seen it but could not remember where. I have visited Southeast Ventures website and there is no concrete info on the project. They may be waiting on the Demonbreun Street bridge to be started.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori.../06/story3.html

• 9 months later...

I'm considering Watermark or Radius 10 in the Gulch for a date this week. Anyone been to either? Recommendations?

Radius 10 is GREAT. Pricey, but you should be expecting that if you're going for some eats in the Gulch. I recently went to Sambuca on a date, and it was awesome. They just "refreshed" their menu about a week ago. I recommend both locations.

EDIT: Btw, whatever happened to this Avenue of the arts project?

Watermark - Pricey and great food...

Sambuca - 3 visits (2 dinner, 1 lunch) pricey and the food is just so-so but the entertainment was great.

No experience with Radius 10.

I'm considering Watermark or Radius 10 in the Gulch for a date this week. Anyone been to either? Recommendations?

I think Radius 10 and Watermark are probably the best two eats in town now. Food, price (expensive) and overall experience are comparable but I think Watermark takes the prize. Radius is very loud and I didn't care for the decor as much. I'd recommend a table in the bar area at Watermark. Enjoy!

Here is another article from the NBJ about the Plaza of the Arts. I knew I had seen it but could not remember where. I have visited Southeast Ventures website and there is no concrete info on the project. They may be waiting on the Demonbreun Street bridge to be started.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori.../06/story3.html

I believe this project is dead. Am I correct? It would have been huge!

barakat, I love Radius 10. The food is wonderful and yes a little pricey but worth it. The staff is great as well. It's not too loud and has a nice relaxed atmosphere with good lighting. The patio is nice if it is not too humid.

I would recommend the pork tenderloin or the fillet. There is also a goat cheese tortellini that is good too. Oh and the brick oven pizzas are really good.

barakat, I love Radius 10. The food is wonderful and yes a little pricey but worth it. The staff is great as well. It's not too loud and has a nice relaxed atmosphere with good lighting. The patio is nice if it is not too humid.

I would recommend the pork tenderloin or the fillet. There is also a goat cheese tortellini that is good too. Oh and the brick oven pizzas are really good.

Yeah, I got the pizza one day (at Radius 10). Very good, reminded me of some of the best I had in Italy!

• 4 months later...

this hasn't been posted in since August, but I thought I would throw something cool I found into the post for all to see, lol

This is a rendering from the arhitect that has designed the masterplan for The Gulch.

planning_c_img.jpg

thanks to LRK

i have seen the two smaller pics to thr right, but I am focused on the one on the left, i have not seent this one before, so i thought it would be cool to post

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed last night that a lot a few blocks down from the Icon site has a for sale sign up. I don't remember the intersection but if you drive down 12th towards Icon from demonbreun it will be on your right. I think it says something like "build to suit" maybe, instead of for sale. But I wonder if we will see something else go up there in the next few months?

Archived