Worcester City Square

oliver

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see that something is happening in downtown Worcester! I went to WPI and we'd occassionally trek over to the outlets. I remember making fun of the place because the floors were covered in carpet, I always thought that was kind of odd for a mall. Anyway, hope the project livens up that area!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
The project isn't really happening yet. They have had problems landing tennants, in turn that means they have not met the minimum requirements to get funds. Some people in City Hall are rather anxious to bulldoze the place. So what they are offering to do is to give them enough matching funds to tear down the place.

Personally, I don't think that is going to be any more of a benefit. It wont' draw more investors, and will end up looking worse and creating more problems with rodents and such. The only benefit I can find in it is that it might just say to people the project isn't going to work and try for something new.

If all else fails, tear down the mall and extend the common for a little while. Return the street grid back to normal. Let developers later on come and do something with the land when the economy turns better. If CitySquare doesn't work out, let something else come in its place when time is more appropriate.

Upon further inspection... you're right. They tucked the mall in the middle of all those office buildings. I hadn't realized there wasn't much room for any street between the other structures there.

Then again, Shrewsbury Street and the rotary goes under the railroad bridge into W Cntr Blvd which goes to Main anyway.

It can be a bit confusing with the curves. So I don't think you are going to get clear views. Now if there was a streetscape, which actually draws attention, I think that would be much better - it would lead the person to Main St. But an Empty lot I am not so sure would.

I have to admit I am very curious about the canal through that section. The actual canal runs under the very corner of the train station, and just west of the railroad track. However, off of the canal, many companies had their own little side canals. They found a few while constructing both the Galleria and the Centrum. It would be interesting to know what is under there and what could be done with it.

• 11 months later...

So I managed to catch an article which says progress may finally be going to happen at CitySquare. Unum is floating the idea of relocating to the site, which if made official would give the site a tenant and get the project started.

While on one hand, this company already has operations in Worcester... at least now something can be done with the Common Outlets. That is of course, if things go as planned.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20090115/N...&source=rss

• 2 months later...

So does this mean the whole project will get done or are they going to build just one building?

As a total project I think it will be a great success, but I worry about individual pieces not having the same effect.

Its a shame Hannover can not just move downtown and take up all the opffice space.

I'm guessing since there's a major tenant in one of the buildings, part/all of the old Common Outlets mall will be torn down.

I'm hoping with the project getting under way and the economy improving, once they get the ball rolling more will come and follow.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the T&G today (4-30), Front St.'s extension will be delayed three years as it's been pushed to part two of the project.

Meanwhile public money to demolish the mall won't happen until June, when the lease with Unum is officially signed.

Source: http://www.telegram.com/article/20090430/NEWS/904300634

Slow and steady progress, better than nothing.

Be patient. it is only a matter of time before some form of High speed rail is built as per Obamas plan. As of now it would go through Worcester to Springfield. This will certainly help springfield as one of the hubs, but the fact that it will connect Worcester and Boston means the commute between the two citys will make Worcester easier to get to from Boston than Framingham. I think not only will the Worcester airport grow, but the office and housing markets will take off.

Be patient. it is only a matter of time before some form of High speed rail is built as per Obamas plan. As of now it would go through Worcester to Springfield. This will certainly help springfield as one of the hubs, but the fact that it will connect Worcester and Boston means the commute between the two citys will make Worcester easier to get to from Boston than Framingham. I think not only will the Worcester airport grow, but the office and housing markets will take off.

Archived