Sub-Forums? Want them? Lets talk about it.

Rural King

The question of subforums have come up. How does everyone feel at this time about sub-forums? Does our traffic and thread creation rate cause there to be a need for sub-forums to divide the information we are discussing? Or is everyone happy with the current format.

If we decide we want sub-forums how do we want to do them? By city? Or perhaps by region to be more inclusive of the lesser cities?

I don't care either way as far as creating them goes, but I do think creating 3 Grand Division forums would be the most inclusive way to get more members to join if we do create subforums.

So what is everybody's thoughts on the matter.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ True. I'mot sure what sort of topics might stay in there if we have Grand Division forums. I'm kind of leary of creating Memphis and Nashville subforums without having an Eastern counterpart. We could create a Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville/Chattonooga setup, which would leave all the smaller cities to fall into the main forum. I really want to foster more folks posting from East TN, if we appear to be a Memphis-Nashville board East TN folks might not feel as welcomed to post as they might think anybody cares.

^ Not really relevant to the discussion at hand, but umm noted. :D [ Edit: 1:03 - After reading this again, I think you meant a sub-forum under TN and not under the Southern Forum like I originally took it. I'm not for that, but a MS sub-forum under Louisiana might be possible and I'll ask about it] . Do you have an opinion of sub-forums for TN? Thats the feedback I need.

^ Not really relevant to the discussion at hand, but umm noted. :D Do you have an opinion of sub-forums for TN? Thats the feedback I need.

How aobut a Nashville Development forum and a Memphis Development forum. Seems that most of the news is about certain developments and this would gather it all together in ONE place for all to see. This forum that we are on now could simply focus as it was intended for, the entire State of Tennessee. Not just the biggest cities in the state as it is now.

I kinda like the way it is here. I read every single topic nashville or memphis even the east TN stuff.

On second thought, I too like it right now the way it is. Lets just leave it alone and wait on more posters to join, then we can step back and look at what we have. A move now, may affect the participation from some, especially those that are new to the boards.

How aobut a Nashville Development forum and a Memphis Development forum. Seems that most of the news is about certain developments and this would gather it all together in ONE place for all to see. This forum that we are on now could simply focus as it was intended for, the entire State of Tennessee. Not just the biggest cities in the state as it is now.

That is what has been proposed. If that is the set up everybody would want thats fine with me. :D

I'm pretty satisfied with what we have now. The fact that the East Tennessee folks have a stickied section at the moment will tell us how many we have from that area.

A great percentage of these posts are development posts anyway, so I don't see that separate sections for these are necessary.

The only suggestion I might offer as something to try would be a Nashville Coffee House and a Memphis Coffee House. The Charlotte Coffee House seems to work out well for them. If it appears that Chatt and Knox want one, they'll let us know. I think that would be great. Most development threads under Tennessee, and some off-topic threads in the coffee house. Perhaps that section could address some more open topics than might be appropriate in the development section. Perhaps a "Visitors Lounge" where those from other places can come in and makes comments about varied topics or ask questions or bash us or whatever. A little debate, if kept reasonably civil, might be fun.

Maybe we could try that. But it's easier for me to check out all the info on one main Tennessee header.

^ Thats a reasonable suggestion about having two Coffee House sub-forums while keeping all the development and hard-news in the main forum. I like it. Lets see what other folks think.

I tend to like all the news being in one forum as well, but having seperate discussion outlets for the big cities, at first just Memphis and Nashville is not a bad idea either.

I'm not keen on the "Visitors Lounge", as that seems to me just asking for trouble.

I with the other guys. I like it the way it is right now. Not only do I believe the member count is too low to warrant the creation of other sub-forums, I am someone who likes to read news about and take part in discussions about all parts of Tennessee. That seems to be a difference between us Tennesseans and people from some other states...most tennesseans are interested in the entire state and not just their little corner. That is the way it seems on this forum at least.

Thanks mcheiss. Some of us are getting together in downtown Nashville tomorrow morning, so we like to stay in touch.

I'd like to buy a vowel, please. I'll take an "e".

Not picking on you m, but N a s h v i l l e. That's kind of like Asheville, but without the e. lol

We appreciate you checking in with us. Come back anytime. I know some of us here check on Arkansas from time to time. More going on there than people realize.

Thanks mcheiss. Some of us are getting together in downtown Nashville tomorrow morning, so we like to stay in touch.

I'd like to buy a vowel, please. I'll take an "e".

Not picking on you m, but N a s h v i l l e. That's kind of like Asheville, but without the e. lol

We appreciate you checking in with us. Come back anytime. I know some of us here check on Arkansas from time to time. More going on there than people realize.

Sorry about the typo :D.

I always enjoy reading about Tennessee. Before joining this forum, I had no idea that Nasheville had such a prominant skyline and was so economically prosperous.

Thanks for the good remarks about Arkansas. Most people don't know much about our state and the great economy. Thanks again.

I think we are fine the way it is now. We need to continue to get more members in some other parts of the state (particularly East Tennessee) before we start talking about subforums for a subforum. ;)

I agree. We need a more broad base before we go splitting things up right now.

Seems like the growing in sentiment is that things are fine the way they are.

I agree. The more subforums, the less likely I am to click on them.

I actually think there shouldn't even be a sticky for East Tennessee. I tend to forget about it. It tends to make the TN subforum really just a Nashville/Memphis/Jackson forum.

I agree. The more subforums, the less likely I am to click on them.

I actually think there shouldn't even be a sticky for East Tennessee. I tend to forget about it. It tends to make the TN subforum really just a Nashville/Memphis/Jackson forum.

I agree with Sleepy. I tend sometime to forget to look at the sticky's and just go to to main forum. I wouldn't be opposed to moving the East Tennessee sticky back to the main section. Besides, I plan to bring Chattanooga related info up from time to time. The big thing I'd like to see change is to see some members from the Knoxville and Tri-Cities joining.

Overall, I would say I'm happy with the way it is. If the forum continues to grows and we start getting a large number of threads from all the three grand divisions, then I think sub-forums would make good sense.

I think the forum needs stay as it is based on the feedback thus far. When folks start feeling there is a need for subforums we can talk about it again.

I will unsticky the East Tennessee topic and let it float in the main forum. It will free up space for future topics to be stickied.

I was thinking here today about if anyone would be interested in a Tennessee Coffee House? Just a sub-forum for statewide off-topic discussion that is not real hard news or strictly urban related? For example like what Charlotte has (to see it go here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=218), only with us on a state level. I think staying to a statewide format is good at this point in anything we do.

Anyone interested in this idea?

Archived