Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

I've never noticed the small section of stone on the corner of Justice and Monroe. Probably because it is painted the same color as the rest of the building.

Speaking of the color, think how much different this entire row of historic storefronts would look if they wern't painted. I would venture that they would be much less recognizable.

Great pictures as well. I like how you can see far down both streets in each shot despite that the picture was taken only a few feet from the building; A feature that's only possible with the sharp angles of Monroe.

That picture's not bad. I agree with Rizzo that the two main issues are lighting and levelling. Make sure the sun is to your back, and pick a vertical line in the building and make sure it goes straight up and down the CENTER of your sight. That way you'll know you're level, even when shooting at an angle (I struggle with this personally all the time.)

Thanks for the tips!

The Powershot A610. It's a great camera for about $300. It has a 3x optical zoom, and an incredible 4x digital zoom. It also gives you the ability to change out the lenses for up to 10 or 12x zoom, fisheye, etc. like an SLR camera. Plus, the movie mode is great. You can videotape for as long as your memory sticks will allow. I don't know why anyone would buy a traditional video camera anymore. There's no reason to video tape the ENTIRE dance recital :rofl:

Plus the flip-out LCD is great! It allows you to take shots at strange angles, and it also protects the LCD by allowing you to flip it over either way.

114_canon_powershot_a610.jpg

HBMCBmOay8G_Pxgen_r_Ax270.jpg

114_canon_powershot_a610_2.jpg

So far, I'm really excited by the quality of the photos too. :thumbsup:

I should be getting paid for this endorsement :unsure:

grdad, Are the pictures you took of the retaining wall of the Towers "hole" on that thread taken with your Kodak? I have not been happy with my EasyShare and get results that look similar to your picture of the retaining wall. Sorry to be off topic but have you found the Canon to be better?

grdad, Are the pictures you took of the retaining wall of the Towers "hole" on that thread taken with your Kodak? I have not been happy with my EasyShare and get results that look similar to your picture of the retaining wall. Sorry to be off topic but have you found the Canon to be better?

It was with my new camera. The lighting was terrible though (shooting into a low hanging hazy sunlight).l -_-

^nice snoogit :P

Got a chance to try some night shots:

94808093_588e9e815e_b.jpg

94812725_c1b25328fa_b.jpg

I was pretty happy with them. Clarity is not bad considering I didn't use a tripod :thumbsup:

Thanks for the gimp tip BTW guys. I tried to stitch my Marriott shots together at full size, but it was well over 100MB's when i was done :blink: I had trouble saving it...

Don't use GIMP for handling image to stitch... continue to use Bitmap programs like MS Paint. GIMP handels the images in its own file format which explodes the image file size exponetially, because it has to save layers and special information for each pixel in the image... Its a real huge waste of your computers resources for what you want to do. If you wanted to add some cool effects to your finished image then GIMP would be a great idea. Nice pitcures Dad.

Edited by Rizzo

I don't think that's true. I think if you save it as a JPG (if that's possible) its a fine to tool to use for this 'stitching' thing. I don't think there's any reason to use paint. Ever.

I use MSPaint all the time for my High Quality digital art I make.. :rofl::P

My latest work is called "Digital Crayon Drawing"