Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

The St. Cecilia Music Society building is visible but hardly noticed for some reason.

"Following the classical style, the facade was divided into three parts. The base was made of sandstone, the middle section was brick and at the top were a cornice and terra cotta frieze graced with plump cherubs heralding the building's purpose with their trumpets."

http://scmsonline.org/Brix?pageID=77

157932951_3d3a28f6fd.jpg

The St. Cecilia Music Society building is visible but hardly noticed for some reason.

"Following the classical style, the facade was divided into three parts. The base was made of sandstone, the middle section was brick and at the top were a cornice and terra cotta frieze graced with plump cherubs heralding the building's purpose with their trumpets."

http://scmsonline.org/Brix?pageID=77

157932951_3d3a28f6fd.jpg

Nice shot civitas! Was that taken from one of the GRCC ramps?

Gawd, that Federal Building is butt-ugly! It screams "1970's olive green rotary telephone". Nice shot dbrok!

(Soon to get busier) Pearl Street:

158180436_59ed70fff0_b.jpg

158180433_fa7085c025_b.jpg

158411317_adabb28cb6_b.jpg

158180432_759fd67ece_b.jpg

158180434_9b04b66e2a.jpg

158180429_8e2d2e070e_b.jpg

The new Spirit of Solidarity Monument almost finished (union labor, it's slow going, J/K)

158182101_e321dca621_b.jpg

Otter - "nettes"

158182102_2ce019e017.jpg

Do you know his name? He's a common sight downtown.

Great Cygnus pics civitas! I'll have to see if I can work out something with that bartender. :thumbsup: I can't believe I've never been up there before. I wondered how you could take these and not get the Marriott, but alas, saved for the other thread.

Do you know his name? He's a common sight downtown.

Great Cygnus pics civitas! I'll have to see if I can work out something with that bartender. :thumbsup: I can't believe I've never been up there before. I wondered how you could take these and not get the Marriott, but alas, saved for the other thread.

I don't know his name (he is not very social) He has been a regular downtown for at least 15 years. Someone told me he used to be a college professor - seriously, but I don't know how you would confirm that.

The Cygnus bartender said they were typically very slow during Festival. You do not need a suit and tie to go up there (nicer casual dress is fine). You'll spend a couple of bucks extra on a drink, but if you consider that as the price of admission to see the "show" its worth every penny.

Use the tower elevators and go to the 28th floor (27th is the restaurant). If you want to peek at the restaurant on the way up, get off on 27. There is an open stair that goes to the lounge.

Edited by civitas

Really! OMG I am definately going to stop in there then. Hopefully help me get over my fear of heights.

Going on top of the various parking garages wasn't high enough for me to be scared. (Although my fear of heights is amplified x100 if I'm on anything that hangs... except for closed elevators. You do NOT want to see me on a ferris wheel. yeesh.)

Really! OMG I am definately going to stop in there then. Hopefully help me get over my fear of heights.

Going on top of the various parking garages wasn't high enough for me to be scared. (Although my fear of heights is amplified x100 if I'm on anything that hangs... except for closed elevators. You do NOT want to see me on a ferris wheel. yeesh.)

There are 4 elevators to the tower, 2 on the east and 2 on the west side (closest to the river) of the corridor. The 2 on the east side have a glass wall so you can look at the city as you go up. It is a great ride...but you may want to wait for one of the west elevators.