Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Believe it or not, this is within a 1 mile radius of Fulton and Division.

Any guesses?

161849549_d351a45858_o.jpg

:huh: no idea!

Here I was playing with longer exposure. Yes - I'm a newb. Fuller & Fulton.

10003259hv.jpg

10003236wq.jpg

This pic I took with no light other than the streetlamps, ten sec exposure with the Kodac camera. Nice sepia tone, but I wasn't totally happy with the result. It was late when I took these, no one on the roads (except for the lone car making a left), total silence.

Looking east from Fuller on Fulton, towards Family Fare on the left, standing in front of the bakery.

10004607xg.jpg

how funny that i know exactly where that is (behind Scavenger Hunt, Skelletones, etc on Division... right off the north side of Cherry). And that banner is totally NOT in Korean :)

I can confirm that it is Chinese. What it says, however, I'm not completely sure. I can only make out the second character, which means Big or Grand. Not sure how it's pronounced in Chinese, though I believe it's similar to "Tai" (the 'Chinese Reading' of the character in Japanese)

Are you sure the fountain isn't smoking because it is overheating? What's happening?

:lol: It's a "misting" fountain. It blows the water in a fine mist to represent one of three states of water: frozen, liquid and vapor; designed by artist Maya Lin. It's pretty interesting, because it cools you off and you feel the spray on you, but it's so fine it evaporates off your skin before you can even see it. It's a lot like outdoor air-conditioning systems I've seen in the Southwest.

Yard Sale next door...

matts0on.jpg

ys19md.jpg

The last night of the sale (and it was big), they left it all out for a free-for-all. I have lots more pics, but these two are my favorite for some reason.

I now have a new set of clubs (left handed - I'm right handed and don't play golf), nestled in a pretty pink golf club bag. :blink:

Best offer :whistling:

/PS: my 14 year old son took these pics

GRDadof3, it was your pictures that got me hooked on this site/thread... thanks. I would love to have the access you have to the higher viewing spots

:thumbsup:

Thanks fo0hzy! I'll try to keep the momentum going. But my main vantage point is just the local parking ramps. :thumbsup:

Anyone notice the thick black smoke?

165920340_107dc71182_b.jpg

It appeared to be right next to the cooling towers at the Market Ave power plant.

165920339_5bf71e456e_b.jpg

There paramedics climbed on the roof of their rig trying to see what exactly was on fire.

165920342_11da2fa02e_b.jpg

It was a locomotive on fire according to a co-worker who was in the area listening to GR fire.

edit: TV8's story seems to disagree with my co-workers story.

Edited by 6th Gen local