Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

I couldn't find the thread it was mentioned in, but this little house sits on 6th Street West of the river near the old RC Allen (?) building near the fish ladder. It's supposedly one of the the older homes in GR.

It was on the previous page 6th Gen. :D That's the one, and it's called the Turner House, and was built in 1846.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplace...ent/state2.html

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:cDkwxj...t=clnk&cd=4

According to the National site, it was the RC Allen Employee Clubhouse.

I've been inside, and it's pretty rough (floors sagging, bowed walls), but I would be too if I were over 150 years old.

Some photos from today:

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_056modded.jpg

"A Flashback"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_117.jpg

"A Picture Frame"

(I was nearly standing on the railing of the topmost level of a parking ramp just to get that shot. And conflabbit it would be perfect if I were a few inches higher. Maybe next time I'll bring a ladder with me <<)

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_023.jpg

"Blue Bridge"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_090.jpg

"Curves & Lines"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_077.jpg

"Discovery"

This was one of my favourite shots out of the day. The other one I really liked is:

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_055.jpg

The way the sun reflects off that building... amazing.

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_075.jpg

"Freedom From the Grid"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_135.jpg

Harris

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_064.jpg

"Hidden Stairway"

I wonder who here even knows where that's from? =p

Lastly, WTF?

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_124.jpg

Some photos from today:

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_064.jpg

"Hidden Stairway"

I wonder who here even knows where that's from? =p

Nice pictures tSlater. The shots with the Calder in them are nice and looking underneath the blue Interurban/pedestrian bridge is a great shot.

Is that the stairway going up the hill just North of Division avenue, below what us oldtimers call lookout hill?

Edited by 6th Gen local

It was on the previous page 6th Gen. :D That's the one, and it's called the Turner House, and was built in 1846.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplace...ent/state2.html

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:cDkwxj...t=clnk&cd=4

According to the National site, it was the RC Allen Employee Clubhouse.

I've been inside, and it's pretty rough (floors sagging, bowed walls), but I would be too if I were over 150 years old.

Thanks GRDadof3. I knew the discussion was somewhere around here. I guess these pictures would also be appropriate.

The RC Allen buildings "Twin towers".

IMGP0271.jpg

The Turner house in relation to the RC Allen building, or is it actually the Riverview Center?

IMGP0272.jpg

Nice pictures tSlater. The shots with the Calder in them are nice and looking underneath the blue Interurban/pedestrian bridge is a great shot.

Is that the stairway going up the hill just North of Division avenue, below what us oldtimers call lookout hill?

Probably. It's hidden behind some shrubbery past a guard rail on the east side of Division just NE of Icon on Bond. The concrete steps near the bottom and top have completely deteriorated and lie in chunks, with the steel reinforcing bars bent, twisted, and sticking out... leaving holes from where there was hollow area between the steps and ground. Near the bottom it looked like it was a makeshift home for a homeless guy for a while, with some trash and a coat lying around. The rest of the way up the steps was mostly trash and broken glass. It was fun going up though, dodging the branches, and being rewarded with an excellent view near the top.

There's another stairway like this further south that is still in use, though I had never notised it until I looked right at it.

Those would be the Newberry St. stairs up to Belknap lookout. The stairs further south that are in better condition are the Fairbanks stairs. Right now I'm aware that the NOBL (Neighbors of Belknap Lookout) are in the process of putting together a design charrette to fix up both sets of stairs, and maybe more improvements too, such as something with the overlook at Hastings & Fairview, and maybe more.

Those would be the Newberry St. stairs up to Belknap lookout. The stairs further south that are in better condition are the Fairbanks stairs. Right now I'm aware that the NOBL (Neighbors of Belknap Lookout) are in the process of putting together a design charrette to fix up both sets of stairs, and maybe more improvements too, such as something with the overlook at Hastings & Fairview, and maybe more.

How is that neighborhood doing? Absolutely incredible views, but I remember it as being a pretty rough 'hood. There are good houses up there, however, and it is very close to downtown.

More shots from yesterday (I filled my dad's camera.. not going to post them all, just the good ones)

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_086.jpg

"Beyond"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_107.jpg

"In Gulliver's Eyes"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_034.jpg

I can't wait to take that shot next year!

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_065.jpg

"Opposites"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_044cropped.jpg

Notice how there's a missing piece of masonry there on the Pantlind? I would have hated to be on the sidewalk when that happened.

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_053.jpg

"Reaching"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_092.jpg

"Reflections"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_130.jpg

"Waterfall"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_093.jpg

"Shriveled"

My_Photos_-_Grand_Rapids_Shots_091.jpg

"Stalking"

That last reminds me of a spider's legs peeking out beyond an object, stalking its prey.