Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Great Jeff - I didn't know that work had continued on the Terra Firma's Grandvillage Ave project.

Thanks guys! I noticed the new canopies on Saturday mp, so decided to add them in. :thumbsup: They also put new canopies on Bistro Bella Vita, but they're black so the colors weren't what I was going for.

Jeff have you ever considered opening up a gallery of all your photography? My mom is a photographer, and she tells me, and I agree that your photography is a cut above. You could make some $ off of it, and add to your little crack factory you've been mentioning.

Of the few retailers that do window displays, Barney does the best.

181214554_7a9cb56b03.jpg

Amway Grand has the best architectural lighting.

181214670_71f99b74b4.jpg

Although the top of VanHoeks is nice too.

181222715_8cf4357081.jpg

And the kids at the county haven't learned to shut the lights off if they're not in the room.

181214605_f2b0fb1fab.jpg

Edited by civitas

How many buildings can you recognize?

181731756_d108121371.jpg

This is what I see...

Clockwise from top center:

1) The Michigan Nat'l Bank Bldg. (I don't know what it is called now, also the former home of the weather ball)

2) The Blue Cross/Blue Shield Bldg, the old Steketee's (it's painted beige on the top)

3) The Commerce Bldg.

4) By looking at the brick color, I think the bottom one is the building in between Al & Sons garage and the old Macatawa Bank. I don't know who is in there.

5) The current GRAM, old Federal Bldg.

6) The former Interstate Bldg., now part of Kendall/Ferris.

7) The Morton House, aka "The Mortie." It looks like two or three bluidings because it wraps around the corner and is painted a different color in the back.

8) In the center is the elevator tower of the parking ramp at Fountain and Ionia.

9) The Cornerstone Bldg. on both sides of the elevator tower.

I'm new here, so be nice if I am wrong. :)

Nice work postscript. Actually, it's the old Mercantile Bank (not Macatawa), but close enough. That building next door is vacant as far as I know. If I had to guess, I'd say this was taken from Crescent Park, or the balcony on VAI.

There's an interesting new mixed-use building being built in Rockford on the east bank of the river south of 10 Mile. I started snapping a few photos of it and then found myself wandering south down the White Pine Trail. It's easy to understand why the trail is such a popular park. The photos aren't very urban, but the definition of "quality-of-life" in West Michigan is so much more than just big buildings. This really is a great place to live.

183750127_1cb37f7e4f.jpg

183750814_b0c74d308a.jpg

183750977_44c03281b7.jpg

183751631_fd6eb49950.jpg

183751345_efcd87c80b.jpg

183752096_848979283a.jpg

183752167_46482de132.jpg

183751881_01cd655401.jpg

There's an interesting new mixed-use building being built in Rockford on the east bank of the river south of 10 Mile.

I heard there's a restaurant going in there that's supposed to be really good. The name had something to do with red...but my memory is failing me. Also heard that the chef who will be heading up the menu came from Chicago.

I heard there's a restaurant going in there that's supposed to be really good. The name had something to do with red...but my memory is failing me. Also heard that the chef who will be heading up the menu came from Chicago.

The "Now Hiring" sign said the name was Red's on the River.

It had www.redslive.com as athe website, but there's nothing there yet.