Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Here you would refer to this as exposure time when taking the picture. The problem here will be the exposure rate. In this situation the shutter would have to stay open for a very long time while the crane rises. The amount of light that would enter and expose the film or sensor would wash out until it was very white so that nearly everything wouldn't be visable. The better option for tracking the progress of the crane and building would be to use a stop-motion technique. Take a picture wait a certain time again take another, and so on. Once done you'd have compiled a flip book so to speak. The only way I can think a person could take multiple shots and add them together to look super exposed without the light washing out would be through some digital editing software (GIMP, Photoshop, PaintShop pro, etc...) That's diffult as you'd have to have many frames.

I started taking pictures of the crane and building from that webcam on the AGP ramp, but stoped at 3 frames :(

I see, thats too bad that it is so hard to do. I think it would be cool to have a 360 degree rotation of the crane moving around in circles about the vertical axis. The idea spawned from a fundamentals of engineering class i took where we were forced to Revolve (among many other tasks) what seems like hundreds of 3D objects on the computer. It would make for an interesting shape. maybe if i get some free time in a few weeks back up at school i can try to sketch it into a 3D image program and revolve it, but it wont look as cool as it would with a real life image.

Thanks Rizzo for the info on the photography standpoint.

Edited by Grand Rapidian

Rotate the actual building on its own axis or the camera around an imaginary one?

Here's what I think you are saying: short animation: to download enter the code and at the bottom of the next page is the download link

I will have to wait to see the video until I get back to school next week because I have dial up here and I fear waiting an eternity.

I mean revolve the object (part, building, crane, whatever the object is) around the either a created imaginary axis or an axis off of an edge of the object.

In the cranes case an imaginary axis vertical though the center of the crane tower. Then revolve the crane 360 degrees and get what would look like a short cylinder on the top of the crane tower. I do not know why I think it would be cool pic but again it was an idea sparked for a fundamentals of engineering class I took. It would look like a big flat sort of Mario tree (from the sweetest Nintendo game ever Super Mario Brothers) I will try to create the image somtime after I get back up north.

New mural done by (I believe) students at the new WMCAT on the second floor here:

A friend of mine named Art died of cancer 2 years ago. His wife continues to struggle. I found the mural below on the south wall of the UICA and framed a copy for her (she loved Art and Art loved her). I walked by there last week and it had been painted over with a new mural. I was glad I photographed the first before it was gone, but enjoyed the new one too. It is nice that it changes periodically.

172864372_1a2fdd466a_o.jpg

This town has a great history of some interesting murals. One of the best (the best?) is this one.

172864252_9757877944_o.jpg

Edited by civitas

A friend of mine named Art died of cancer 2 years ago. His wife continues to struggle. I found the mural below on the south wall of the UICA and framed a copy for her (she loved Art and Art loved her). I walked by there last week and it had been painted over with a new mural. I was glad I photographed the first before it was gone, but enjoyed the new one too. It is nice that it changes periodically.

This town has a great history of some interesting murals. One of the best (the best?) is this one.

Speaking of murals, there was this story in the Press yesterday.

Wholly amphibian! Giant frog coming to downtown

The mural at the entrance to the city/county complex is going to be replaced by the original artist with a new mural. I can't picture the current mural in my head. :huh:

I travelled into the future and took this shot of downtown Grand Rapids at Market and Fulton (or Fulton and Division, can't remember now) :P :

2006-01-02pearl11thLovejoy5.jpg

http://www.portlandground.com/archives/200...y_and_10t_1.php

Here are a couple of mine:

220668352_44a1bf50f9.jpg

Work progressing on 126 Ottawa, as reflected in the Ledyard Bldg

221001960_4730fb6f9f_b.jpg

Miss Aldrich

221004606_8cbf955f20_b.jpg

221004607_c7082e37ba_b.jpg

Founders Building

221001964_2c8be61b65_b.jpg

I found some old West Michigan Grand Prix photos.

Can you guess the locations?

222019767_c1013bcfaf_o.jpg

222019748_86692d7e4f_o.jpg

222019730_10543c34ef_o.jpg

I miss the Grand Prix!!! :cry: That was so much fun being on the inside corner of the track. It was a pain to get into work that day, plus once we were in, we couldn't leave the building if the cars were on the track. I didn't get a lot of work done that day, too busy looking out the windows and taking pics. :)

Edited to Add:

GRDad, I really love the shot of the Aldrich Building with the Michigan National Building in the background. Excellent!

Edited by postscript