Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Seeing the pix of the FedEx plane reminds me of an interesting factoid I learned several years ago: namely that for a very long time, Grand Rapids was the ONLY place in North America where FedEx actually did NOT guarantee overnight delivery by 10:30am.

The reason? Kent County Intl Airport wouldn't open to let planes land in the early AM hours. Hence, at approx 5am every day several hundred flights would take off from Memphis (the FedEx hub) with one lonely plane left sitting on the ground (yep, the plane headed to GR). That plane would have to wait an extra hour or more before departing for GR because nobody wanted to get out of bed early around here so it could land.

Now... I don't know if this is still the case, but back then it sure helped explain alot of my frustration with overnight shipping.

There's a few really nice homes along Jefferson between Alger and Burton. Granted, they're a little more mcmansiony than those on heritage hill

I think you need to review your definition of McMansion. Those homes are from the 1920's and they're full of character, unless i'm thinking of the wrong area, which i don't think I am. :huh:

Edited by twoshort

Wasn't really referring to all of them, just a couple of them come across as more mansiony than on heritage hill (at least the ones i've seen), but still not enough to be mcmansions. I guess what I was more trying to say was they're all set back from the road a little more and just seem to be built on a grander scale.

Wasn't really referring to all of them, just a couple of them come across as more mansiony than on heritage hill (at least the ones i've seen), but still not enough to be mcmansions. I guess what I was more trying to say was they're all set back from the road a little more and just seem to be built on a grander scale.

McMansions refer to a more mass-produced cookie cutter style than is evident in that (garfield park) area.

Edit: see: http://www.antisleep.com/archives/2004-05-07_0247.php

Edited by twoshort

Craig James last night assured me that there would not be any snow on the ground this morning, maybe a dusting. Yeah right. It's pretty much all gone now, but there was probably at least an inch this morning. It's too soon.

FYI: Our very first snowfall last year was November 21st.

(mumbling) My sailboat is still in the water..... and I still plan to race in a regatta in ten days. (grumble, grumble...)

Can we all pray for a little Indian Summer on Oct 21?

(mumbling) My sailboat is still in the water..... and I still plan to race in a regatta in ten days. (grumble, grumble...)

Can we all pray for a little Indian Summer on Oct 21?

I have my fingers crossed for a few more (well, a lot) more warm days. I still have golfing to get in!

• 2 weeks later...