Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

^Better ramps than parking lots though.

not necessarily, It's easier to replace a parking lot with a building than it is to tear down a garage and start of scratch.

Garages tend to be more permanant - A long term commitment to parking on a scale you don't necessarily see in the historically successfull, larger cities.

I'm so excited to finally post some photos!!! I feel like a true UPer now. :shades:

Happened to be driving past Michigan/Sinclair and saw the demolition to make way for the MSU Med School (or so the Pitsch guys told me). Raced home and got my camera. Apparently, the first time the bucket hit the building, a bat flew out and attached itself to someone who was delivering phone books to the multi-unit complex on Sinclair. Apparently, that person provided a lot of entertainment trying to get the bat off them! :rofl:

100_2827.jpg

100_2817.jpg

100b2880.jpg

The building in background below is the multi-unit apartment house. The Pitsch guys said MSU is trying to buy it for the land but the owner won't sell unless they meet his asking price. :whistling:

Anyone know anything about this?

100_2820.jpg

And, by the way, all these bricks are going to the landfill. All I can think about is how Home Repair Services might have used the windows, doors, and cabinets for their clients... Ah, well.

Ryter-n-rezdence

Great photos Ryter-n-rezdence! I was driving by and saw the same thing. I have no idea what's going on, but MSU did purchase that property and the whole section that wraps around the back of Bagel Beanery over to College, but they claimed they were NOT going to put the new school there. That it was just for future expansion.

More..

I believe that building was over 100 years old. I'm surprised there was no mention by the city commission on the demolition.

321498915_45560b92fe_b.jpg

Great photos Ryter-n-rezdence! I was driving by and saw the same thing. I have no idea what's going on, but MSU did purchase that property and the whole section that wraps around the back of Bagel Beanery over to College, but they claimed they were NOT going to put the new school there. That it was just for future expansion.

Thanks, Dad. You must have snapped your shot just after I left. I tried to get across the street for a better angle, but didn't dare sneak between all those rubber-necking drivers!

I'm going to investigate further and find out who's doing what to that patch of land.

Apparently the Press today says the ramps should be reopened by the end of the month.

Really!?! :w00t: Awesome! I can't tell you how tired I am of having to drive the wrong way down a 1-way to reach the parking lot!

What about Ottawa Ave under 196? I haven't been able to drive that way in what seems like a year

Ah, yes. The re-opening of any major roadway is reason to celebrate. I recall my own snoopy dance when the Northland bridge at West River finally went back to 4 lanes.

Of course, my office is now in Rockford, so the bridge doesn't matter to me much any more, but the completion of a summer long project was still cause for happy faces.

I celebrated when Division between 60th and 68th went back to 4 lanes. (But they left some barriers in the middle turning lanes for a few days, so occasionally somebody not realising the road was back open to 4 lanes, would start driving down the wrong side. I saw this happen a couple times the first 2 days it reopened xD)

Here's the backside of Verne Barry Place on South Division, going vertical.

330303406_237ac2e201_b.jpg

This warm wet weather blows BTW.

And Union Square from today, with many of its balconies and landscaping in place. Looking nice!

330303419_09cd2a12af_b.jpg

330306879_f89b1e0af6.jpg

330306885_da61e2fcb5.jpg

330306895_db0c5112f6.jpg

330306900_dce6537d2c_b.jpg

330306903_7c01db0414_b.jpg

And someone asked about the new RAPID bus stops? It looks like they're system-wide, with these two new ones added downtown just recently.

330303402_6c4205e30e.jpg

330303396_ea3caa0e8a.jpg