Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Point, don't face your lightsource, and shoot. Don't worry about centering an object, just get what you need in your sights and press the button. You really can't go wrong. Often times, professionals consider centering a subject, total "newbie." Don't worry, you'll be fine. You could do asearch on "google," though.

That is a cool shot by the way.

That picture's not bad. I agree with Rizzo that the two main issues are lighting and levelling. Make sure the sun is to your back, and pick a vertical line in the building and make sure it goes straight up and down the CENTER of your sight. That way you'll know you're level, even when shooting at an angle (I struggle with this personally all the time.)

What's up with the Weston? I'd imagine that is some premium real estate with a premium parking lot next to it not making much off of itself? How come somebody hasn't converted that thing into high end living/retail?

I think it probably faces some of the same issues at Morton House on Monroe Center does. It's basically low-income housing and the company that operates it just isn't interested in doing anything else. Coleco's post (#8) in this thread sums it up the best IMO.

Morton House - Monroe Ctr & Ionia

Hello, I'm new to urban planet. I have stumbled upon this forum many times while "googling" things related to Grand Rapids, and have finally decided to contribute.

So, here are three pictures that I took from my balcony. They are all of the same location--Fulton & Prospect--but each is in a different season (the only one I'm missing is spring)

Winter.jpg

Summer.jpg

Autumn.jpg

edit: Just click on the insert image icon to have them show up in your post ;) - GRDadof3

Great photos everyone. I love days like this. It is so funny Rhino, I have driven past that corner countless times and never remember that tan building. I must always be looking the other way or something. Not that I am saying it is a great piece of architecture or anything, just that I would not have recognized that as GR unless you told me...