Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Interesting about EULAs... I think I remember hearing on /. once about a company adding something to the lines of "If you read this and are the first to call <number> and mention this, we will give you $500 (give or take some)". It took what, 5 years I think before somebody won the money?

Some things in EULAs are enforceable, but I'm not sure about everything.

I wish there was a "Grand Rapids Video of the Day" thread on the stickies. But this thread wil make a perfect place to post my first video project I just completed for my Video 1 class I'm taking this semester. Featuring various shots of DT GR set to the music of J.S. Bach's Taccata in D Minor, I've sequenced a year ago, it puts an imposing "Grand" in Grand Rapids.

Hahaha, you are oficially my hero.

You guys probably won't believe me, but we used to say that back in college in the 90's, long before they used it on The Office. When I heard Michael Scott say it, I was stunned. Correction: my wife and I were both stunned. My friends and I actually had her saying it occasionally back then. :lol:

You guys probably won't believe me, but we used to say that back in college in the 90's, long before they used it on The Office. When I heard Michael Scott say it, I was stunned. Correction: my wife and I were both stunned. My friends and I actually had her saying it occasionally back then. :lol:

Hah. I went camping in 1978 and that phrase, er, came up.

Lol, i believe you, because ive never watched the office before. My friends and I say that all the time.

Wow GRDad, that picture is huge! I'm a big fan of detailed pictures. It's actually so detailed I can see my parked car in the photo.

It's interesting, this week is the first time I've seen the Grand River frozen over. Of course it's my first winter in GR.

Yeah, it's a stitch of about 10 or 11 images. My photo software does it pretty well, and it's all automatic. I only see a couple of spots where they didn't stitch well.

I've seen a photo of this area from that exact spot in the early 1900's when the river was LINED with furniture factories belching out tons of smoke, but couldn't find it. Amazing how things have changed.

I was in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago, and was completely amazed with the city and totally fell in love with it. Who'da thunk Pittsburgh would be cool? A marvelous place, and very friendly people. Thought I'd share some of the urban photos I took.

I'm not a city planner, an architect, a builder, or a designer, but I get totally geeked about buildings and cities. Can't help myself.

The hugely LEED Lawrence Convention Center, which, BTW, just had a "mishap" with a truck breaking through a 6-inch concrete floor:

The story: Convention Center

My photo: 100_2951.jpg

Check out the rooftop garden at the bottom of the shaft of light.

100_2940.jpg

Outside my hotel window: the Allegheny River, a couple of the famous steel bridges, and, uh oh, what's that? New construction! BTW, why all the plastic on that building? (Remember I'm not a builder...) Check out the photo after this one, too.

100_2924.jpg

100_2950.jpg

The smokestacks are the Heinz factory:

100_2925.jpg

More cityscapes:

100_2910.jpg

100_2934.jpg

100_2935.jpg

100_2948.jpg

The day before I left, I was standing (like I had been most of the week) with my nose pressed against the window of my 21st floor hotel room watching the city and the cranes below, and what to my wondering eyes did appear?

Over Mount Washington, across the Allegheny, and practically into my lap!

100_2954.jpg

100_2956.jpg

The city has free Wi-Fi for two hours a day, from anywhere. Just plunk yourself down and link yourself up for any two hours you choose.

They also have free subway transit in certain areas . What a thought!

Thanks for letting me share.

Edited by ryternrezdence